Forums

Topic: component cables 480p and Virtual Console is not working.

Posts 1 to 17 of 17

Firkraag

I just got my new TV and thought I'd play some super metroid to brush up alittle before trilogy is released in Eu, but when I enter the game screen goes black and it comes up a LG icon saying 'Invalid Format'. Then I click the 'home' button on my wiimote to see the 'Wii Menu' batterys and all that and it shows with Super Metroid in the background. And then I remove it and it goes black again, I can still hear the music though..

Anyone have a clue? As I said I have just gotten the TV and haven't done anything in the menus really..

Edited on by Firkraag

There he goes, Firkraag. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. - My VGscore

Firkraag

Nintendo 64 games actually work, so does Wii-ware and normal games.

But Metal slugs, SNES and NES all show the problem i said in the first post.

There he goes, Firkraag. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. - My VGscore

ChristeriousNinja

Firkraag wrote:

I just got my new TV and thought I'd play some super metroid to brush up alittle before trilogy is released in Eu, but when I enter the game screen goes black and it comes up a LG icon saying 'Invalid Format'. Then I click the 'home' button on my wiimote to see the 'Wii Menu' batterys and all that and it shows with Super Metroid in the background. And then I remove it and it goes black again, I can still hear the music though..

Anyone have a clue? As I said I have just gotten the TV and haven't done anything in the menus really..

VC games (or at least some of them) don't work with component cables, so unfortunately the only thing you can do is simply swap the cables, which would be veeery irritating

Luckily I got these 4gamer cables where they still include the original cables, so you only have to swap audio and then flick the mode.

But yeah, it's pretty irritating for you :/

Hey, I maek shiz on YT: http://www.youtube.co.uk/user/ChristeriousNinja

Friend Codes coming when I frequently use one of them >_>

LinktotheFuture

I have the component cables, and they work for every game I have, including Super Metroid. You might have some faulty cables. Have you changed the options on the Wii Menu to support the component cables? If so, I would exchange the cables from the store you bought them from. I have the component cables that Nintendo came out with, so look for those if you don't have those already.

The chickens are restless.
3DS Friend Code: 1547-5282-6926

Firkraag

I haven't seen a setting for component cables tbh, i'll look for it right now Link. All I changed was aspect ratio to 16:9 and 480p.

Firkraag

Where do I find the setting for component cables?

I have the component cables with Nintendo brand. it's the official ones. Also found; http://www.wiierror.com/wii-virtual-games-black-screen.php but that button press combo does not work for me as I do not hear the 'beep' and nothing happens.

Edited on by Firkraag

Raptor78

Not all Virtual Console games are compatible with the Component cables, the ones I have issue with is some snes, megadrive and neogeo games.

I found this on the net and it may help.
I will have to give it a try myself.
" Initially, some PAL Virtual Console games would not display correctly on high-definition televisions when connected via the component lead. However, starting with the April 13, 2007 update of the PAL Virtual Console, certain newly added games, such as Punch-Out!!, support the "Wii Component Cable Interlace mode." This is a temporary fix to problems with various Virtual Console games being played over component cable on HDTVs. The mode can be enabled by accessing the operations guide of the game, and (with the Nunchuk attached) pressing the buttons Z + A + 2 simultaneously. A sound is played if the mode is enabled correctly. Several older games also have updates available to enable the feature, such as Super Castlevania IV. The mode can be disabled by using the same method, but with the button combination Z + A + 1 instead. A full list of games supporting this mode is available at nintendo.no, an English version can be found at vc-forums.com."

3DS Friend Code: 2621 - 2654 - 6355

OnLive Player Tag: Raptor78

Heroes of Ruin online profile -
http://heroesofruin.com/profile/Raptor1978

http://passid.ca/raptor

currently playing: Heroes of Ruin

Nintendo Network ID: Raptor78

Raptor78

LinktotheFuture wrote:

I have the component cables, and they work for every game I have, including Super Metroid. You might have some faulty cables. Have you changed the options on the Wii Menu to support the component cables? If so, I would exchange the cables from the store you bought them from. I have the component cables that Nintendo came out with, so look for those if you don't have those already.

Do you use a PAL wii as it is the PAL wii that has the issues with HD / ED TV's with the virtual console?

3DS Friend Code: 2621 - 2654 - 6355

OnLive Player Tag: Raptor78

Heroes of Ruin online profile -
http://heroesofruin.com/profile/Raptor1978

http://passid.ca/raptor

currently playing: Heroes of Ruin

Nintendo Network ID: Raptor78

ChristeriousNinja

Raptor78 wrote:

Not all Virtual Console games are compatible with the Component cables, the ones I have issue with is some snes, megadrive and neogeo games.

I found this on the net and it may help.
I will have to give it a try myself.
" Initially, some PAL Virtual Console games would not display correctly on high-definition televisions when connected via the component lead. However, starting with the April 13, 2007 update of the PAL Virtual Console, certain newly added games, such as Punch-Out!!, support the "Wii Component Cable Interlace mode." This is a temporary fix to problems with various Virtual Console games being played over component cable on HDTVs. The mode can be enabled by accessing the operations guide of the game, and (with the Nunchuk attached) pressing the buttons Z + A + 2 simultaneously. A sound is played if the mode is enabled correctly. Several older games also have updates available to enable the feature, such as Super Castlevania IV. The mode can be disabled by using the same method, but with the button combination Z + A + 1 instead. A full list of games supporting this mode is available at nintendo.no, an English version can be found at vc-forums.com."

Oh wow, I've never heard of that... gotta try that for SMB3

Thanks

Hey, I maek shiz on YT: http://www.youtube.co.uk/user/ChristeriousNinja

Friend Codes coming when I frequently use one of them >_>

Firkraag

It worked, I didn't know you had to be in the operations manual to do the button combination.

Damn this is tedious, but it's alot better than having to switch cables. Why doesn't Nintendo make these games interlaced automatically on and off as you turn the virtual console game on/off?

Outrunner

Some games it doesn't work for at all. Sonic, Gunstar Heroes, Ristar and DK JR. All great games and I can't play 'em anymore. Nice one Nintendo!

"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." Matt. 1:21.

Firkraag

My biggest question is why would they make you first have to plug in classic controller to even start the game, and then you have to plug in the nunchuck and do the button combination, then classic. And then back and forth again when you want to quit the game. Gah..

Ah well, at least it works.

Sean_Aaron

The button combination is a workaround. The real issue is that not all TVs are that great at switching resolutions; some don't even support the interlaced resolutions over component -- it's not the Wii (although it would have been nice for Nintendo to have all VC releases support 480p) it's the TV.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

madgear

They need to address this issue. I've had to switch back to scart becaus of this - I have a nice HD TV and the correct cables but I'm stuck because I'm not willing to change cables every time I want a bash on Toe Jam and Earl. An update could fix this, or they could go through each game to make sure it's compatible - it's not hard. I've paid good money for these games - I don't like the fact people using the HomeBrew channel and emulation can play them this way but not legitimate customers.

madgear

Aviator

Another thing you can do is switch to 50Hz mode.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

madgear

nope that doesn't work on the vc games

madgear

LinktotheFuture

Sorry, I am in the US, and I didn't know there was a difference in the UK. Glad you got it to work!

The chickens are restless.
3DS Friend Code: 1547-5282-6926

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.