Forums

Topic: Fire emblem fortune's weave

Nintendo Switch 2 is finally here, check out our guide: Nintendo Switch 2 Guide: Ultimate Resource.

Posts 601 to 620 of 633

Pizzamorg

I also think some of the supports left in, like if they had to cut the bulk of them, like how did ones like the one where Kiroc talks about seeing ghosts to Esmerelda for example make it into the final cut? Kiroc is a totally irrelevant character, and this support gives us no real meaningful insight into the world or either character, so why is this one here?

Life to the living, death to the dead.

VoidofLight

@Pizzamorg Yeah, the Kiroc one is weird. It just repeats the same exact informaiton that his text boxes convey.

I think the one disappointment I have is Seteth though. While he does get more supports than a couple of characters in the game, it feels like even then that they're so few? I get they fully explore him in Three Houses, but even then it just feels disappointing to bring him back and for him not to have much relevance at all. He's even the narrator for the game, but has less of a narration role than Jeralt did.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Matt_Barber

The number of potential supports goes up with the square of the roster, so with 62 playable characters you'd be looking at 1891 sets of conversations to script if everyone was covered. I believe that there are 235 that are scripted, which is comparable to the previous games, but the gaps are just a lot more obvious.

I'd think that the quality of the writing for them has gone up, although there are definitely some one note characters, especially those at the fringes of the main story.

Matt_Barber

XenobladeKisekiFan

thats intrusting so the game has same amount of voiced supports but because of the larger cast its more spaced apart,

Has anyone seen all of Ninae's non locked supports yet, I have seen most of her supports apart from 2 b supports and the locked support with cai, most of her support convos haven't revealed much about her character and have been mid tier so far, hopefully the ones with cai will be better

I personally would rate seteth and orchel's support list as the most fascinating i have seen so far.

[Edited by XenobladeKisekiFan]

Favourite series,
Xenoblade, Trails/Kiseki and fire emblem

I enjoy any games with anime characters

Grumblevolcano

I didn't realize until the final chapter of Dietrich's path Part 1 that I hadn't promoted Esmeralda to Specialty class, does this mean she'll be useless in Part 2 because of bad stat growths?

[Edited by Grumblevolcano]

Grumblevolcano

Matt_Barber

@Grumblevolcano I wouldn't worry too much.

It's sub-optimal to promote late, unlike some of the other games, but you're probably only looking at her being a couple of points in key stats behind where she should have been if you'd done it as soon as possible, and that ought to be fixable in the back half of the game. If you've built her anything like I have, she should have a fair bit of Def to spare, at least.

Also, if you're going to play all four routes, you might end up with a better version of her from one of the others.

Matt_Barber

Misima

@uncleMike I found myself falling asleep to the game last night. I played the least amount of time yesterday and decided to not play at all today for the first time. I'm over 200 hours in and my health was getting bad because of it. Lots of pain from sitting too much and getting poor sleep.

So I will go to bed early today and try to feel better. I'm in chapter 10 for everyone. I'm in paralog hell rn.

Misima

Pizzamorg

I think I am around 100 hours in now, I have cleared Leda and Theodora's Act 1s and 2s. I think I have two or three chapters left of Dietrich's Act 1 and I think I am on the final chapter of Cai's Act 1. I should probably take them both through Act 2, but it fills me with dread knowing how just how hard Act 2 is, but there is so much XP and opportunities to promote on offer in Act 2 that I may end up taking them both through it and hating my life in the process, hoping it is all worth it in the end if it makes my Act 3 smoother. If on my third attempt of Act 2 I can get the two bonus recruits in Chapter 3, I might treat myself a skip on the final go around.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Matt_Barber

Without giving too much away, Part 3 is designed to be playable if you've only done a single route up to that point, and the only reason not to skip Part 2 for the rest is if there's someone who you desperately want to bench. Every character that you get through can be put to some use, but they're not needed for the story battles.

The completionists are going to do it anyway, of course. However, if the game is giving you burnout, don't worry too much about hitting the skip button.

Matt_Barber

uncleMike

@Misima

Brother, I feel for you...

I don't know what you're going thru personally, and I won't ask...

You strike me as someone who is very similar to myself though. I am in a Dark Place. 3 years into a really nasty divorce that temporarily DESTROYED ME financially, emotionally, and spiritually. And... that's where any addiction will THRIVE.

There is hope though... I went out of town this weekend... never unpacked my Switch 2...

When it comes to any addiction, ALWAYS pat yourself on the back, for even the smallest of victories.

Stay Strong Dude

[Edited by uncleMike]

uncleMike

Switch Friend Code: SW-0756-5072-8806

XenobladeKisekiFan

I don't understand how players get seriously hooked to fortunes weave to the point of spending ridiculous hours on it, its a great game but I have played plenty of games in the past that I consider as good as the new fire emblem such as persona 5 royal and more

Some of the grindy routines in fortunes weave makes me only want to play for a certain amount of time a day due to the repetitive nature of some of the games activities,

I would still give the game a solid 10/10 for the story and voice acting but it needs a update making the ui more easy to understand, for example when building supports in inns the character support chart needs to be way more easy to navigate, there is so much characters in this game and figuring out what character can support who can take more time than necessary.

[Edited by XenobladeKisekiFan]

Favourite series,
Xenoblade, Trails/Kiseki and fire emblem

I enjoy any games with anime characters

VoidofLight

@XenobladeKisekiFan It's one of those games that feels like it can turn hours into minutes. Although, I don't understand the people who play it every waking moment. I started off playing it for hours every day to playing it less (mainly because the main gameplay loop is repetitive in longer sessions). It helps that I'm on my third route in Part 1, so it probably makes it harder for me to play without having to alternate between games or do other stuff.

The game is still engaging and well put together- it's just that fatigue kinda starts to set in a little due to the sheer size.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

XenobladeKisekiFan

@VoidofLight I agree and I do prefer the more traditional fire emblem experience of tactical gameplay, I spent well over 300-400 hours on fire emblem fates on 3ds over 2 whole years, the gameplay in that game was immensely satisfying, also fe awakening and echoes had great gameplay too.

The story telling is still fortunes weave's strongest selling point but as someone who has played all fire emblem games, I do find some of the tasks and free time in fortunes weave to be grindy and not very rewarding for the time it takes in real life to invest.

I would rate the game in some ways inferior to three houses such as lack of anime cutscenes, leaving romance to end game and music but superior in some ways such as combat animations, voice acting in story moments and character design,

I kinda wish intelligent systems could whittle down some of the free time tasks and focus more on tactical gameplay or storytelling as those two are what fire emblem is known best for.

[Edited by XenobladeKisekiFan]

Favourite series,
Xenoblade, Trails/Kiseki and fire emblem

I enjoy any games with anime characters

NintendoByNature

I think I’m still only on chapter 1 part 8 for my only route. I’m 15hrs in as I haven’t had much time to game as I’d like. I’m having a great time, but I can see this being the only fire emblem game I’ve started that I may not finish. Nothing to do with quality or gameplay as it’s all still there. It’s mostly because of the amount of time everything takes. I think I recall someone on here saying by the next route things really speed up. I’m hoping so. I want to get to the main story and actual battles in a back to back to back sequence. That’s where fire emblem shines to me.

NintendoByNature

Pizzamorg

@XenobladeKisekiFan Maybe it is just burn out that I don't want to admit to myself, but I am definitely liking FW less, the longer I play it.

I just think kind of everything here on the page is sort of a giant mess. The fact that characters are basically surface level designs with nothing behind them, how the story is paced, the weird way some routes give really important insights into the world and various events, whereas others seem to exist in a vacuum, like the narrative is just all over the place, seemingly hacked apart and hastily thrown back together with giant, important, vital, chunks missing.

I also think while I still prefer the loop to both THs and Engage, the longer you engage with the free time stuff the more frustrating it becomes, initially overwhelming, it eventually feels like it all clicks into place and you find yourself in a satisfying loop. But rather than being content with staying there, it keeps going and going and going and going to a place where I wish I could just skip through some of the song and dance and get to the point (like why can't I pick a destination on the world map, commit the turn requirements and just go there, rather than tediously crawling across the map, for example).

There is also so much stuff that is easy to miss, from ??? events on the map, to the absolutely paralogue cluster eff that happens at the end of Act 1 (and it is way harder to navigate on some routes than others for seemingly no reason), to how unbalanced renown gain and in turn recruitment is on other routes (I don't think I am going to get to 11 renown on Dietrich before the end of Act 1, and I have only managed to recruit a small handful of characters beyond the gifted ones, making my arm on his Act significantly smaller than on others, which will have disastrous consequences for the astronomical difficulty spike that is coming in Act 2). And this isn't me saying that any of these systems are incorrect, I just think something is fundamentally tuned wrong since the gain of renown and the ease of recruitment is insanely lopsided on some routes than others. As are so many things from one route to the next. And I am all for each route being a unique experience, but some routes just feel objectively like worse experiences than other ones, and this feels like a problem to me.

That said, as Void said, time for me while playing this game is rendered a meaningless construct. I think I just did a couple of skirmishes and some busywork in between and made little progress, but in the real world, eight hours have gone by. And while I may also grow a little tired of the repetition of the loop as others have, the fact that I never feel that passage of time makes it clear to me I am still enjoying my time as there are plenty of games I can play for just an hour or two and be already exhausted by it, painfully aware of every second that goes by.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

XenobladeKisekiFan

@Pizzamorg It does make me wonder how casual gamers could get through this game, I personally think fortunes weave needs to have some update to smooth out some of the unpolished parts of the game such as the in game free time and support list at inns or dungeon battles.

Other games that have free time mechanics such as persona or three houses handle free time in a better way.

I finished persona 5 royal in 120 hours and it was 100% smooth sailing and three houses could be finished in under 45 hours,

There is a situation with fortunes weave that some players have already finished the game and are deliberately spoiling major plots or post timeskip designs when the majority of players only have a couple of hours a day to do gaming and are still on act 1,

I have finished cais route and halfway through ledas for example.

[Edited by XenobladeKisekiFan]

Favourite series,
Xenoblade, Trails/Kiseki and fire emblem

I enjoy any games with anime characters

Herculean

I enjoy my time with the game so far. I only play it about 3-4 hours a week, because I play it with a friend. Will it take at least half a year before we get anywhere? Probably, but I'm fine so far.

It's been so long since the last Fire Emblem, so I'm fine with just taking my time.

Herculean

Kraven

As of this morning I’m on part 1 chapter 8 for Cai’s path. My renown is level 8, all of my squad is around level 20 and in advanced classes, and I just recruited a girl with a flying Pegasus. This game is pure bliss, and once you get the hang of the calendar it becomes a next level game.

Kraven

uncleMike

@XenobladeKisekiFan

Some people just have more addictive personalities or are more easily triggered towards compulsive behaviors, due to either: genetics, environment, or trauma (or all of the above).

I used to collect physical media. All of my games had to be stacked in a very specific order (i.e. alphabetically, year of release etc.). Instead of "counting sheep", at night, I would go through my catalogue in my head. If I ever thought that I made a "mistake", I would get up in the middle of the night and redo my entire collection.

[Edited by uncleMike]

uncleMike

Switch Friend Code: SW-0756-5072-8806

VoidofLight

@XenobladeKisekiFan Lack of Anime cutscenes? I haven't really experienced a lack of like the big CG scenes at all. Since that's what Three Houses had, CG scenes- not anime cutscenes. I think Fortune's Weave has more CG scenes and cutscenes in general when compared to Three Houses, where important moments just.. didn't get any cutscenes at all after they happened. That was probably one of my main gripes about the storytelling for Three Houses. The fact that stuff would happen either off-screen like Dimitri's death, or they would end up lacking actual cutscenes beyond characters just standing and talking to one another.

As for romance being saved until the end of the game, Three Houses also did that. S supports only really existed at the end of Three Houses.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic