Forums

Topic: Will Pikmin 3 sell 1 million?

Posts 21 to 33 of 33

nathanjones007

Good day! It looks as though vgchartz has Pikmin 3 at 930k ( physical) I am certain the game has sold at least 70k digital. I find it strange at least in North America, brand new physical copies are hard to come by. Has anyone noticed? Thanks!

nathanjones007

xPH03N1Xx86

@nathanjones007: I went to buy it about 2 weeks ago, and they no longer have any physical copies at Walmart and The Source, so there's that.

Meow. :3

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8691-6279 | Nintendo Network ID: xPH03N1Xx86

Spoony_Tech

Well they most likely have well over 70 digital as I'm sure a bunch of people picked it as their free game from the Kart 8 promo. So they didn't necessarily make money off of those but I guess it all still counts.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Octane

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Well they most likely have well over 70 digital as I'm sure a bunch of people picked it as their free game from the Kart 8 promo. So they didn't necessarily make money off of those but I guess it all still counts.

Considering about 10-15% of game sales are digital on average, Pikmin 3 should've sold more than 1 million copies by itself. Digital might be even higher due to the shortage of physical copies. And there's of course the free game from the Mario Kart 8 promotion. Mario Kart 8 sold about 1 million copies during that promotion in the US. Anyone who hadn't picked up Pikmin 3 yet and already owned Zelda or NSMBU, probably chose Pikmin 3 as their free game. Add the extra copies from the European promotion, and I think Pikmin 3 is well over a million.

Octane

jariw

Octane wrote:

Add the extra copies from the European promotion, and I think Pikmin 3 is well over a million.

Everything in this thread base the speculations on that vgchartz figurers are correct. And they are not (NeoGAF has gone as far as censoring links that points to the vgchartz web site, since vgchartz doesn't necessarily point to facts).

Pikmin 3 was not on Nintendo's million seller list on the last financial report, and that's as accurate as we can get at the moment.

Edited on by jariw

jariw

CaviarMeths

Japan is the only region in the world that openly reports cold, hard physical sales. NPD Group provides information to Nintendo for North America, who choose whether or not to make a PR statement. Some of the larger European markets also report sales charts positions, but again, we can only know actual numbers if Nintendo themselves do a PR. No trackers in any region currently have access to digital sales data, though Famitsu does track sales of Nintendo eShop download cards in Japan. Digital numbers are known exclusively by Nintendo.

The only way we'll ever know if Pikmin 3 hits one million is if Nintendo includes it in their quarterly financial reports as a million seller title. VGC doesn't deal in facts. They deal in speculation and guesswork.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Octane

jariw wrote:

Octane wrote:

Add the extra copies from the European promotion, and I think Pikmin 3 is well over a million.

Everything in this thread base the speculations on that vgchartz figurers are correct. And they are not (NeoGAF has gone as far as censoring links that points to the vgchartz web site, since vgchartz doesn't necessarily point to facts).

Pikmin 3 was not on Nintendo's million seller list on the last financial report, and that's as accurate as we can get at the moment.

I think everybody knows that VGChartz doesn't have access to the actual numbers, but with some exceptions, they are usually pretty close with their predictions. Of course, take them with a grain of salt, and always look at the big picture and not the individual numbers. It sketches a pretty accurate image of how much games have sold relative to each other. As for Pikmin 3, I don't know if Nintendo counts the free MK8 promotion copies as ''units sold'', probably not, but I think it's not too farfetched to think that at least a million people own the game and/or have played it.

Octane

kkslider5552000

If you count the Mario Kart deal, I'm certain it's past 1 million.

Which is bad for Nintendo in the short term I guess but in the long term could get a lot of people to buy Pikmin 4 when they otherwise wouldn't have.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Haru17

Pikmin can sell sub 1mil and get sequels until people draw sad fan art of Miyamoto, but if Samus dares dip below 2 they summarily execute her. #gamesindustry

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

kkslider5552000

Haru17 wrote:

Pikmin can sell sub 1mil and get sequels until people draw sad fan art of Miyamoto, but if Samus dares dip below 2 they summarily execute her. #gamesindustry

To be fair, Metroid has never had a gap as big as Pikmin 2 to 3.

and also...there were like 5 or 6 games that didn't sell nearly as well as Prime 1 before they decided to take a break with that series. 3 of which were probably among the the most expensive Nintendo games at the time.

also the new Metroid is on the vastly more popular system...

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Rumorlife

This thread is from January and someone bumped it just yesterday (Sept 13) eep...

I swear Nintendo mentioned sometime in late Spring 2015 that Pikmin had surpassed 1mil.

Edited on by Rumorlife

Rumorlife

CaviarMeths

Dankykong wrote:

This thread is from January and someone bumped it just yesterday (Sept 13) eep...

I swear Nintendo mentioned sometime in late Spring 2015 that Pikmin had surpassed 1mil.

As of their most recent sales update on June 30, it has not. 9 first party games have sold 1mil+.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wiiu.html

Hyrule Warriors also sold 1mil+, but it was published by Koei, so not included in Nintendo's PR.

Current financial quarter ends this month and a new report should be released at the end of October. We'll find out then if a couple of suspected close-to-million sellers have crossed the line. Tropical Freeze might be close too.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic