Forums

Topic: Making games challenging again...

Posts 121 to 140 of 152

Bankai

Oh wow. You just claimed that archery and rifle shooting (olympic sports, no less), are not skill-based. Breathtaking.

I get your point, but why did they have to use the exact same name for both the company and the network?

Sony Entertainment Network = network
Sony Network Entertainment = company

Unless you have a weird form of dyslexia, that's not the exact same name at all.

And further, there are a few billion examples out there where the company, and the product, are the exact same thing. (and no, don't ask, go use Google). It's often a smart marketing move, since it associates the company brand, with the product brand.

Edited on by Bankai

LordTendoboy

Phoenixborn wrote:

Mario is just run right, jump, run right, jump, run right, jump...

Actually, there are traps and obstacles to overcome, but yeah.

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

LordTendoboy

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

Oh wow. You just claimed that archery and rifle shooting (olympic sports, no less), are not skill-based. Breathtaking.

I was talking about FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS!

Call of Duty, Halo, Medal of Honor, etc. Games like GoldenEye mixed the genre up by implementing stealth elements, but it was still an FPS.

But hey. thanks for twisting my comment around to mean something I didn't even say.

Edited on by LordTendoboy

[...

Bankai

LordTendoboy wrote:

Phoenixborn wrote:

Mario is just run right, jump, run right, jump, run right, jump...

Actually, there are traps and obstacles to overcome, but yeah.

Traps and obstacles you overcome by running and jumping.

I was talking about FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS!

Call of Duty, Halo, Medal of Honor, etc. Games like GoldenEye mixed the genre up by implementing stealth elements, but it was still an FPS.

But hey. thanks for taking my comment and twisting it around to mean something I didn't even say.

Uh, the skills that you listed that are involved in FPSers are the exact same skills that are required in the real world sports of Archery, Rifle Shooting, and Paintball.

And I think a world champion archer might have something to say to you about just how much skill is involved.

Edited on by Bankai

LordTendoboy

@PolkadotChocobo

So I'm guessing you don't like challenging games? What's the point of playing a game if you don't have a sense of victory after you complete it?

EXAMPLE: Don't you remember when you had a tough time beating a difficult boss, only to finally figure out his strategy after countless deaths? Didn't you feel elated at this moment?

"Oh my gosh! I finally beat the game!"

That feeling of joy and victory has to mean something, right?

[...

Bankai

LordTendoboy wrote:

@PolkadotChocobo

So I'm guessing you don't like challenging games? What's the point of playing a game if you don't have a sense of victory after you complete it?

EXAMPLE: Don't you remember when you had a tough time beating a difficult boss, only to finally figure out his strategy after countless deaths? Didn't you feel elated at this moment?

I scored Dark Souls 5/5.

LordTendoboy

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

And to make my point clear here:

Many modern games don't require skill, especially shooters like Call of Duty and Halo. All you do is aim, shoot, dodge, move forward a bit. Rinse and repeat. Shooters are about as formulaic as they come.

Sitting comfortably in a chair aiming an onscreen reticule with an analog stick / compute rmouse is MUCH easier than trying to aim a gun / bow in real life. Don't even make that comparison.

[...

zezhyrule

LordTendoboy wrote:

You're going completely off track. What, next you're going to say you can't get that feeling from beating a hard level in a FPS?

Edited on by zezhyrule

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

Noire

zezhyrule wrote:

That's nice. Notice most of those have the email as their source. Even when quoting the email, they even left in the 'account' part as seen here:

This helps us get closer to our goal of establishing a global comprehensive network platform of services across games, movies, music and more, all accessible from one convenient account,

So yeah... think what you want I guess. The words of some random sites that misunderstood the email or the actual words from Sony themselves.

If they are rebranding the service itself, they certainly didn't clarify in the email sent out. And there hasn't been anything on the US PlayStation Blog yet. You'd think they'd be one of the first people to report on the matter.

Edit: Did you even read the third link you gave me? They clearly stated that it was only the accounts being renamed at the time, and there was mere speculation for the reaming of the entire service :/

Uh, you smell funny. N-not that I know how you smell or anything. Yeah ... definitely don't know anything about that.

Lieutenant Commander of the Lesbian Love Brigade
There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there is only one dude left, because that was the point.

LordTendoboy

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

LordTendoboy wrote:

@PolkadotChocobo

I scored Dark Souls 5/5.

Ok there you go, so why are you saying games in the old days had bad level design because they had you memorize enemy patterns and obstacle placement? That's the entire point of a platformer!

[...

zezhyrule

omg thank you so much n___n I think

Um anyway

Phoenixborn wrote:

Uh, you smell funny. N-not that I know how you smell or anything. Yeah ... definitely don't know anything about that.

And what makes you think that? I just took a shower 10min ago and I smell great D:

Edit: Actually now that I re-read your post... Yeah I'm kinda scared o_o

Edited on by zezhyrule

Bankai

LordTendoboy wrote:

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

Many modern games don't require skill, especially shooters like Call of Duty and Halo. All you do is aim, shoot, dodge, move forward a bit. Rinse and repeat. Shooters are about as formulaic as they come.

Sitting comfortably in a chair aiming an onscreen reticule with an analog stick / compute rmouse is MUCH easier than trying to aim a gun / bow in real life. Don't even make that comparison.

It's actually not. I'm a better archer than my Wii Sports Resort score would suggest.

Also, unless you're a world champion FPS player, I don't see how you can possibly claim there's no skill involved in the games. There are clearly thousands of players that are better at it then you are.

LordTendoboy

zezhyrule wrote:

LordTendoboy wrote:

You're going completely off track. What, next you're going to say you can't get that feeling from beating a hard level in a FPS?

I was replying to Chocobo's comment of how games that have you memorize enemy patterns somehow equals bad level design.

[...

zezhyrule

LordTendoboy wrote:

zezhyrule wrote:

I was replying to Chocobo's comment of how games that have you memorize enemy patterns somehow equals bad level design.

Well... you didn't quote that post. He made it on like the previous page or something. Learn to quote exactly what you're referring to, my comment about you going 'completely off track' still stands ;___;

LordTendoboy

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

LordTendoboy wrote:

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

It's actually not. I'm a better archer than my Wii Sports Resort score would suggest.

Also, unless you're a world champion FPS player, I don't see how you can possibly claim there's no skill involved in the games. There are clearly thousands of players that are better at it then you are.

I was never claiming to be an expert at FPS games. Why must you always put words in my mouth? It's really annoying...

And don't say "pot calling the kettle black", cause I know already.

Anyways, I've never been good at FPS games. I have difficulty judging depth (poor depth perception), and yes I wear glasses.

[...

Bankai

Dude. You said, in plain English "Many Modern games [b]don't require skill, especially shooters[b]"

I didn't put those words in your mouth at all. You wrote them. The only way you could possibly be qualified to make that statement was if you were an expert in them.

Edited on by Bankai

LordTendoboy

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

Dude. You said, in plain English "Many Modern games [b]don't require skill, especially shooters[b]"

I didn't put those words in your mouth at all. You wrote them. The only way you could possibly be qualified to make that statement was if you were an expert in them.

And where did I say I was an expert at FPS games? You replied to me: "And unless you're a world champion at FPS games... There are thousands of players that are better at it than you are."

I know you were using hyperbole, but it still felt like an insult.

So throwing dozens of enemies at you at once, forcing you to shoot your way through or make ample use of cover requires skill? All you have to do is have an itchy trigger finger and be good at dodging.

[...

Chrono_Cross

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

I don't know who wrote this but they are seriously one hell of an idiot.

Not only do they not have any idea what they genre is like but they forgot the fact that it takes more skill to become 5000th in the world in the Search and Destroy leaderboards in Black Ops than it does to beat any boss in any game this generation.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.