Forums

Topic: Nintendo Labo

Posts 341 to 360 of 398

gcunit

Don't know if it's 'new' or not, but Episode 2 of the different ways to play with Toy Con garage series was in my news feed tonight. Yet more possibilities on show. Great stuff.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Late

I've really been enjoying the Labo videos Nintendo has been making recently. Has anyone else thought of their garage creations in advance? I've been toying with all kinds of ideas.

The latest one I had was Twister on Switch. Basically you just need to light up a spot on the touch screen and use something like rumble to indicate whose turn it is. Then that player places their finger on the spot and another spot lights up. Add a time limit for each move, another losing condition for moving your finger while it's still supposed to be touching a spot, couple of sound effects and voilà! You've got a fully functional game.

EDIT: Or alternatively do it like Wii Party U where you have multiple controllers on a table and the screen shows the current player and button to press.

Edited on by Late

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Alber-san

@Late
Wow those are some pretty great ideas you've fot there! The only problem I see with thinking things before labo comes out is that we don't know the full extent of what we'll be able to do. For example, do we know if we can choose to light up specific parts of tge screen? Or set a timer?

Switch FC: SW-4227-6363-7321
Online games:
Rocket League, Splatoon 2, NBA Playgrounds, Fortnite

Favourite single player games:XC2, Skyrim, TLoZ: BotW

Late

@Alber-san Actually, we do know. Check out the video below. Timer and light up nodes are shown at 1:43 in the menu and you can also see them in action at 2:18.
Video

Here's another fun idea. Remember Takamaru's Ninja Castle game from Nintendo Land? Why not recreate it? All you need is the touch screen for swiping, the IR camera for recognizing the reflective stickers and some enemies that have those stickers. You can place those enemies all around the house and set a timer and score counters to see who can get the best score. The IR camera recognizes shapes as well so why not make your enemy have multiple stickers of different shapes on different body parts. That way you can get more points if you hit the head or something. The hardest thing would be to find a way to stop a player from collecting points from the same enemy multiple times but I don't know if it's necessary. Here's a quick drawing as well to demonstrate the idea. The Joy-Con in my picture is below the touchscreen. You can make your own Toy-Con for it or just use a rubber band or something.

Untitled

It's its, not it's.

Alber-san

@Late
Hahaha you're really going overboard with labo. I like it. And it hasn't even come out yet! I actually think labo might sell the 20 million Switches Nintendo said. No need for Smash.

Switch FC: SW-4227-6363-7321
Online games:
Rocket League, Splatoon 2, NBA Playgrounds, Fortnite

Favourite single player games:XC2, Skyrim, TLoZ: BotW

Nicolai

I'm kind of thinking of an alternative to their guitar idea, mapping everything to the touch screen instead of button presses. There's lots of musical ideas to be had.

It would be nice if we could import our own sounds, but I highly doubt that will be the case.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Anti-Matter

Meowpheel wrote:

I can't wait to hear Never Gonna Give You Up and All Star being played by HD rumble.

Speaking about Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley, i found something interesting while waiting for Nintendo LABO.

Anti-Matter

Late

Nintendo Labo Developer Interview

It has a lot of information of how Labo came to be and how it had its ups and downs during the development process. They briefly mention other related things such as Splatoon's motion controls too.

Here's a summary:

• They were afraid that people would react with the “What is this supposed to be? It’s just cardboard!” but luckily it didn't happen according to them and the reaction was more positive than they hoped for.
  • The Labo idea came when they were trying to find use for the IR camera.
  • They wanted to make something that uses the Joy-Con to their fullest while avoiding things they've tried before.
  • The first consumer test was a disaster. Here's a fun quote: "I have a distinct memory from this test session, where a child was saying, “I had no trouble making it, but younger kids might.” That’s a nice sentiment, but truthfully the Toy-Con House he made was a mess."
  • That's when they decided to simplify the designs and added designs to the cardboard to make it easier to distinguish front and back sides. They also got rid of most of the parts that didn't have any function.

There's a lot more info in the interview itself so go ahead and read it. It's a great read.

It's its, not it's.

EvilLucario

Ah, they finally updated to part 2. Good.

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure. It says "to be continued" but I remember reading a lot less... huh.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

RazorThin

I kind of need some assistance with my Nintendo Switch. After building the RC car kit the car doesn’t move.. well the right joycon actually seems to be faulty as the vibration doesn’t move the car at all. But the left joycon works perfectly fine causing the car to go in infinite circles. I suppose my right joycon is faulty, might have to send it in to get fixed.. was curious to know if anybody else came across this issue.

RazorThin

Octane

When did they release Labo? It was yesterday, right? Why aren't more people talking about it?

@RazorThin I suppose so! Are they both charged? Can't you recalibrate the Joy-Con?

Octane

RazorThin

@Octane They’re both charged, even disconnected and reconnected them. There was a game I was playing a while ago that made me think the vibration was off then but I had forgotten until now. It’s like not all the motors are working and it’s very soft feeling compared to the left one, which works for me. I even looked online and can’t seem to find anybody else who has had a similar issue. My Switch has been babied since release day so it has to be defective.

RazorThin

Late

@Octane I would talk about Labo but it's not out yet in Europe. I wonder why we have to wait an additional week? All I can do is watch videos of others enjoying their new toys. Still waiting for people to post their Labo Garage creations. I'll be posting here as soon as I have my hands on one.

Edited on by Late

It's its, not it's.

Haruki_NLI

I keep seeing Labo ads on TV, so theres that.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Late

One question about Labo Garage: Does it have any kind of randomization possibilities? I haven't seen a node for randomization in Nintendo's Labo videos but I thought I'd ask. Like, let's say you make a rock-paper-scissors game and you want to have an AI that will pick one of the three by random. Is that possible? Some of my ideas require it.

It's its, not it's.

-Green-

The building process of Labo seems fun, but the actual games seem incredibly lackluster. I don't imagine the Labo games having much longevity to them, but I suppose that's why they targeted kids.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Haruki_NLI

@-Green- and gave people a programming language with every copy

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

-Green-

@YummyHappyPills What can you actually accomplish with that though? It seems like the games themselves are incredibly limited. At least Kit 01.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Sorry, this topic has been locked.