Well, here's a blast from the past. Kao the Kangaroo, who fans might remember from the Dreamcast era, is making a 2022 comeback with a reboot headed to Switch and other modern platforms.
From Tate Multimedia, the studio behind the original games that launched in the early 2000s, this new release will see Kao picking up his magical boxing gloves and travelling the world once again to fight off baddies and jump his way through "a colourful and vibrant world".
"Kao - pronounced K-O - will be familiar to any fans of 3D platformers in the early noughties, having made his debut on SEGA’s legendary Dreamcast back in the year 2000. Now, two decades on, Kao is back in business and about to embark on his biggest adventure yet, setting out to find his missing sister and solve the mystery of what happened to his long-lost father."
If you're unfamiliar, the Kao the Kangaroo series was treated to four games in total between 2000 and 2005, selling more than 700,000 units worldwide. The first two games, titled Kao the Kangaroo and Kao the Kangaroo Round 2, were released on the Game Boy Advance and GameCube respectively.
As for this upcoming reboot, expect to see it land on the Switch eShop and physically at retail this summer. We'll leave you with a feature list telling us what to expect:
- Beautiful, diverse worlds, packed with secrets
- Engaging and fun gameplay for all ages - family-friendly, but for core gamers too
- Magic gloves stacked with powers
- Kao - a cheeky, brave, and feisty kangaroo who embarks on a life-changing journey
- An engaging story filled with a cast of captivating characters
- Challenging combat including unique boss battles
- A whole host of items to collect