Forums

Topic: Other Unpopular Opinions (tech and non-gaming media) v2

Posts 101 to 120 of 121

Pizzamorg

Love seeing some love for wrestling in here. I wish more people appreciated wrestling, even if they didn't like it. Trying to tell stories with basically no dialogue or props surely deserves some credit alone. But also the fact they have to suspend your disbelief and make a match seem real, but also have the responsibility of keeping their opponent as safe as they can the whole time, I love wrestling. It is one of those weird times for me where knowing it isn't real enhances my experience, because I appreciate just how much goes into every sequence.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

jump

@Megas75 yeah, the Flair vs Michaels is basically Little Women for manly men.

Untitled

@Pizzamorg the whole it isn’t real thing is so weird. You don’t get people watching Game Of Thrones or Breaking Bad complaining it’s not real but as entertainment it’s more real than half the junk blockbusters going.

Not to say rasslin’ is a serious thing that needs to be taken seriously, it’s camp and stupid as fudge but it’s fun as fudge too.

I generally fade in and out of rasslin’ but I’ve got teen brothers who are really into it so I’ve been taking them to a few WWE shows and the atmosphere is great. A bit of electricity in the air, the crowd chanting along and me drinking a few too many £8 pints.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Pizzamorg

I agree @jump, it is weird the same people who have to remind you wrestling "isn't real" when are the ones who watch shows about men dressed up in costumes in front of green screens, where everything is added in post and all the work is done by uncredited stunt men, not even the actors on the billing. Meanwhile wrestlers are doing everything themselves, there is no fixing in post and no special effects to carry them.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

skywake

jump wrote:

@FawfulsFury pfft liberals are far too right wing for my taste! ;p

I guess it depends on how you define the spectrum I guess. My view for the longest time is that Liberals are so obsessed with political point scoring that they don't really know what they stand for anymore. And in many respects their "Leftness" is the main reason why I'd never vote for them. They don't believe in market forces, they believe in letting dead end ideas limp on. Mostly because their opponents dared to invest in productivity driving infrastructure. And you better believe they will do anything in their power to subsidise the industries they support. You can't really get any more "left" than state owned infrastructure, especially the out-dated and broken kind

The politically and geographically aware will realise I am Australian and the above reads very differently here. Entirely different even. The unaware might be simultaneously unsurprised and entirely incorrect in their assumptions when I say I am also a republican

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jump

@skywake You're replying to a more off handed retort to someone who calling me a liberal (oh what a sick burn that was, I'm still in A&E about it) but yeah fair enough left wing parties fighting over how left wing they should be is the cliche.

It's a different to UK politics though, the right wing government have been mucking things up for the last few years so the UK's growth is either in decline of rising at a snails pace compared to other countries largely because their ideology of not investing and throwing out existing international trade agreements in favour of ones they hope to get which hasn't worked out at all.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

skywake

@jump
You may have missed my joke there. The Liberal Party of Australia is socially and, on paper, economically conservative. I was leaning into the "Liberals" bit by calling them "Left" for their opposition to renewables, subsidies for coal/gas and their blind opposition to investment in things like rail and broadband infrastructure

Then I threw in Republican for good measure. Because here a Republican is someone who wants Australia to become a republic. Which is again a very different crowd using that word than there is in certain other countries

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jump

@skywake Clever word play! And now feel I need to brush up on my Aussie politics so it doesn't fly over my head again.

Nicolai wrote:

Dpullam

@Pizzamorg I enjoy wrestling as well, though I typically only watch WWE wrestling currently. I will also be watching WrestleMania this weekend.

Gamertag: DeePullThree
Switch Friend Code: SW-2321-5988-1019
PlayStation 5 User Profile: DeePullThree

Pizzamorg

Actually that is a good shout @Dpullam, and maybe befitting for this thread, but I actually also went down to just following WWE as well, after spending a few years trying to stay on top of AEW, NJPW and the indies, along with WWE.

I actually think WWE wrestling (not just talking about the whole product, the actual wrestling) is the best out there right now. New Japan is too stiff, I think it is pointless to have a wrestling match where you are actually hurting your opponent and I know this is pure old man yelling at clouds thinking but I think AEW is everything all the wrestling old guard criticised indie wrestling for being.

Don't get me wrong, AEW does have story, but I dunno, I just think WWE understands that giving the audience everything all the time actually hurts the overall experience (still talking specifically just of the wrestling style, not the whole product).

AEW has basically no TV matches, everything feels like a big PPV match. That seems great at first, but after a while it became exhausting to me, because every match felt the same. They also really do heavily commit the sin of structuring matches where it is more about dudes hitting big moves, rather than working through sequences that tell a story. I'd rather have just one high spot in a match, you spend the whole match building anticipation for, than seeing someone kip up from an avalanche Canadian destroyer and then take 20 Superkicks to the chin in a row and still kick out at 2. And you could say I am being reductive here and generalising, and who knows what the product is like nowadays, I bounced around mid 2020, but for that first year or so, this is genuinely how most cards were structured.

Not to mention, WWE gives you a few more flavours both within its main shows, but also with its NXT branding which did kinda take a hit when it became 2.0, but since it has rebranded back to the original branding has really been on the rise. With the NXT branding offering a nice middle ground between the WWE style and the indie style, and I think that middle ground is the real sweet spot for me.

Dpullam

@Pizzamorg Very much agreed on your points. Do you prefer NXT 2.0 or the older black and yellow NXT format?

Pizzamorg

Dpullam wrote:

@Pizzamorg Very much agreed on your points. Do you prefer NXT 2.0 or the older black and yellow NXT format?

Outside of the wrestling I grew up with as a kid, NXT from like 2014 through 2018 (thought it kinda went downhill a bit around 2019) is some of my favourite wrestling. Thanks to the Network I sometimes just go back and watch stretches from that run of NXT, as the matches and stories still really hold up.

jump

I'm 50/50 on the AEW and WWE debate. I've found myself enjoying the Women's division so much more than the Men's in WWE (but the Men's has gotten alot better since Trips took over) which is the complete opposite in AEW where the Women's division is so poor aside from the odd moment whilst I really enjoy their strong cards every week with the Men. Brian Cage not being pushed is mad though.

Also there is a wrestling thread but it normally turns into people complaining about WWE and AEW is better so I often lose interest in posting in it.

https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/general_discussion/wrestl...

Nicolai wrote:

Dpullam

@Pizzamorg Very cool! I always watch either WWE Raw or WWE Smackdown first before watching WWE NXT 2.0 but I do enjoy the different feel it has compared to the main shows. It is nice having so many different options to watch.

Kermit1doesmath

Apple is overrated and Steve Jobs stole all the credit from Steve Wozniak.

Steve Wozniak is a legend and should be remembered more than Jobs for what he did.

dysgraphia awareness human

Matt_Barber

I'll happily remember Woz for his work on the Apple 1 and 2 computers but the reality is that he didn't do a lot beyond that. Most of the products Apple is renowned for these days had nothing to do with him.

Jobs though... Yeah, he's a guy who didn't really design anything that was successful without a heck of a lot of work from other people to fix his mistakes, but he made a very marketable personality. I can see why a lot of people would think that the devices he presented with such enthusiasm were his own creations though. You just had to scratch a little beneath the surface to see that he was basically just a front man though. On the plus side though, he's at least the guy who gave us Pixar.

Matt_Barber

Kermit1doesmath

@Matt_Barber Jobs was kinda like Walt Disney, worked in the beginning, and took the credit in the end.

dysgraphia awareness human

Rambler

Matt_Barber wrote:

he was basically just a front man though.

You mean like the CEO that he was??? ;-p
If people think Jobs designed all the machines themselves then that is the cult of Apple gone toooooo far. I doubt even Jonny Ives had direct input into all his designs.

Not sure if you if this is the right audience, but has anybody here read Microserfs by Douglas Coupland? That's set at MS from the age when Apple has kicked Jobs out (not so indispensable..?), and Gates was the computer messiah. I read it donkeys ago and was struck by the similarities. Looks like all big tech companies (since the 80s at least) have always needed an messianic egotist at the wheel.

Jobs turned out to be a credulous tool though.

Rambler

Matt_Barber

That's pretty much the Steve Jobs myth though, or at least the impression I get from talking to Apple fans.

Most of them haven't even heard of Woz, mind you.

Matt_Barber

Rambler

@Matt_Barber
The people who I know who love Apple machines are mainly Unix geeks, which, I think, makes sense. The days of Apple being the only platform for stuff like Quark Express, Photoshop, Pro Tools have long gone (although Logic is now owned by them), so it's not even a creative argument.

They do look nicer than most machines, and I assume that the accessibility features of iOS are also in MacOS (or whatever it's called nowadays)?

Rambler

jump

On this topic, you may want to give Halt & Catch Fire a watch, it’s a fictionalised winky insider look of the 80s PC boom. It has Mackenzie Davis and Lee Pace who act the fudge out of it.

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic