423 Blocked

You have been blocked for security reasons. This server understood your request, but will not service any requests from your IP address.

function checkViewport () { if (document.cookie.match(/device=desktop/) || (navigator.userAgent.match(/iPad/i)) || (navigator.userAgent.match(/Safari/i) && !navigator.userAgent.match(/iPhone/i) && navigator.userAgent.match(/Version\/(13|14|15)/i)) || (navigator.userAgent.match(/Android/i) && screen.width >= 800 && screen.width > screen.height && !navigator.userAgent.match(/Mobile/i)) || (screen.width > window.innerWidth && screen.width > 800 && !navigator.userAgent.match(/Android|iPhone/i))) { document.getElementById("viewport").setAttribute("content","width=1275"); } else { document.getElementById("viewport").setAttribute("content",document.getElementById("viewport").getAttribute("data-original")); }}; checkViewport(); window.addEventListener('resize', checkViewport);if (!document.documentElement.matches('.light, .dark')) { if (matchMedia('(prefers-color-scheme: dark)').matches) { document.documentElement.classList.add('dark'); } else if (matchMedia('(prefers-color-scheme: light)').matches) { document.documentElement.classList.add('light'); } }

Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 7,341 to 7,354 of 7,354

Mana_Knight

Today I watched SUMMER RENTAL (1985). Starring John Candy and directed by Carl Reiner (The Jerk/All Of Me). This was an enjoyable mild family comedy. Think of it a tiny bit like the VACATION series, but far gentler and less cruel/crude. John Candy obviously elevates the material far above what it should be, but all the actors are good in it. No massive laughs, but I smiled and chuckled a few times through out. Kept me engaged. Runs out of steam towards at the end, or wind rather, with the closing sailing race being rather slow and not suspenseful, but I still had a good time.

Reminded me why I just seem to enjoy 80s comedy movies more than most modern ones. Not always easy to pin point the exact reason, but I just do. 🤷‍♂️ Will seek out the few last lesser known John Candy comedies I have not yet seen.

[Edited by Mana_Knight]

SW-2955-4696-6969

DanijoEX

@Mana_Knight Are you kidding? I bought Spaceballs on Blu-ray recently. Not the Arrow Video release mind you...the older one by MGM/20th Century Fox. I grew up watching Cool Runnings & Uncle Buck with John Candy in both. Was gonna get Young Frankenstein but I'll wait for that some other time.

I sell my famous Chesapeake Tupperware.
I ACCEPT NO DEBIT CARDS!
DO YOU HEAR ME!?!

Twitter/X:

Mana_Knight

@DanijoEX Sorry, kidding about what? I have seen the majority of Candy's films, but a few are not as well known. I want to see the few less popular ones I have not yet seen. John Candy is always a good time, regardless of source material. 🙂

SW-2955-4696-6969

DanijoEX

@Mana_Knight Sorry...I meant that first sentence as excitement. I only a just 3 of the films he was in. Though...Cool Runnings seems to be not well-known...sorta. Rarely do i even see or hear people talk about that one. Most of the time...it's either Uncle Buck or Spaceballs folks bring up. I have yet to see the other less-known ones starring John Candy...aside from Home Alone & Little Shop of Horrors that he a minor role in. I forgot about those two other films.

I sell my famous Chesapeake Tupperware.
I ACCEPT NO DEBIT CARDS!
DO YOU HEAR ME!?!

Twitter/X:

OldManHermit

@Mana_Knight For some more John Candy goodness appropriate for spooky season check out horror comedy, Nothing but Trouble (1991). Chevy Chase is the main star but Candy has a very funny supporting role. It's actually the one and only movie Dan Aykroyd ever directed. He also stars as the main villain and is hilarious as he is creepy. The movie was a flop when it came out and it's kind of devisive, but I love it. There's just so much creativity that went into the makeup and various set pieces you can tell the production designers where having a ton of fun.

OldManHermit

Mana_Knight

@OldManHermit I love Dan Akroyd! I rather like 80s and 90s Chevy Chase too, such as him as Fletch or Clark Griswald, even though I know he’s often considered a bit arrogant these days, and not seen in the same fond light as many of his co-stars anymore...

Thank you! I will check out then!

[Edited by Mana_Knight]

SW-2955-4696-6969

Mana_Knight

@DanijoEX Oh, I see! Cool. No problem. 🙂
Speaking of cool....I like Cool Runnings! Have that on DVD. It was a Disney movie, back when they did proper live action non franchised films. He was such a talent and one that so many people seem to have nothing bad to say about him. Gone way too soon. I will continue to check out more from him.

SW-2955-4696-6969

seinfeldfanatic

doing my usual yearly tradition of my horror movie watchathon this spooky month of October. got some new additions to watch for blu ray

Ghoulies 1 blu ray thats currrently at walmart since last month.

and Hokum that i just watched recently

seinfeldfanatic

Mana_Knight

Yes! As it Spooky season, I will be adding some potential spooky ones to my rental list this month!

SW-2955-4696-6969

jedgamesguy

I saw Digger at my local theatre; the mixed reviews from critics only made me more interested in seeing it, and I honestly have no idea why this movie is getting as much hate as it has gotten so far.

Even in my circle of friends it’s been polarising.

Currently playing:
Fire Emblem: Fortune's Weave (S2)
Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)
Ghost of Yotei (PS5)
Mahoyo [ON HOLD]

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

seinfeldfanatic

my horror movies for dvd and blu ray im watching this month

Ghoulies 1
Leviathan
Halloween 6 Producers Cut blu ray bare bones from a few years ago when i saw it in stock at the walmart store
couple of the early Halloween episodes of South Park for DVD
Nightmare on Elm Street 1, 2 and 3 for DVD
the Anchor Bay unrated DVD collectors editions of Hellraisesr I and 2 from a few years back

also on Tubi this month i'm watching

The Messengers 1
Nightwing again. love this old movie
couple of other horror movies on my watchlist on tubi

also the classic Red Planet sci fi movie on youtube. the movie with the holy trinity cast of Val Kilmer, Tom Sizemore and Carrie Ann Moss

seinfeldfanatic

MontyCircus

jedgamesguy wrote:

I saw Digger at my local theatre; the mixed reviews from critics only made me more interested in seeing it, and I honestly have no idea why this movie is getting as much hate as it has gotten so far.
Even in my circle of friends it’s been polarising.

"51%" from the critics, indicates it's just below average.
"C+" CinemaScore from opening night audiences, indicates it's in the bottom 17.5% of all wide-releases.
"7.3" on IMD, indicates it's mildly above average.

One thing is for certain, it is the biggest box office bomb of the year. Bigger than Supergirl, bigger than Moana live-action, etc.

MontyCircus

jedgamesguy

@MontyCircus If there’s any movie where absolutely none of these CinemaScore or Rotten Tomatoes metrics matter in deciding whether it’s good or not, it’s probably this movie. Hell, RT doesn’t even necessarily show how good a movie is, just how many of the critics liked it.

Throwing these statistics out doesn’t do anything, especially mentioning the budget, because what do we, as moviegoers, care about a budget when the finished film is right there in theatres for us to enjoy? There’s some exceptions obviously, like Star Wars and Jurassic World sequels that cost ridiculous amounts of money but this is a movie from one of the best auteurs of the 21st century, and one of the biggest movie stars on the planet, it very much deserves to be made.

Following that logic, One Battle After Another is a failure because it barely made its budget back, despite winning every major award this year. And Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is a masterpiece because it made a lot of money and the cinemascore was good.

I encourage everyone to see movies not because Rotten Tomatoes scores look good or because the movie is making lots of money, but because it looks interesting.

Currently playing:
Fire Emblem: Fortune's Weave (S2)
Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)
Ghost of Yotei (PS5)
Mahoyo [ON HOLD]

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

DanijoEX

@seinfeldfanatic Be sure to check-out Courage the Cowardly Dog. That's a good show to watch during October. You can get Courage the Cowardly Dog the Complete Series on DVD for about $20.

I sell my famous Chesapeake Tupperware.
I ACCEPT NO DEBIT CARDS!
DO YOU HEAR ME!?!

Twitter/X:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic