@sudowoodo Hearing about CM after such a long time made my day. I played the heck out of the game back in the olden days. After they changed they engine, UX and renamed it to Football Manager I felt like the game lost some of its charm.
Also The Adventures of Elliot seems like a really nice game based on my time with the demo a couple weeks back.
Currently playing: Yoshi and the Mysterious Book - finished stage 10 and added around 200 more discoveries. Also went back to stages 1 and 2 for some missing flowers. Fire Emblem: Fortune's Weave - Cai's path, traveling the continent before the third qualifier. The story is getting surprisingly dark at places. Love it! Xenoblade Chronicles X - This one was in my backlog last week. This week I tried to boot it up. Big mistake! It is so difficult to put down
I do not like game companies using GenAI but we cannot fault them for doing so. If a gamer says "I will boycot this or that company for using GenAI", they are focusing their anger in the wrong direction because the company cannot sop using it even if they very much wanted so at this point (provided they want to stay competitive going forward). Instead we should all strive for abolishing GenAI in general but sadly I cannot imagine what it would take to achieve something like that.
I work for a software company (not gaming) and we are incentivise to use AI as much as possible. The company even started using AI in areas they admited was potentialy "shooting themselves in the foot" but the reasoning was that if they did not start using it in that way the competition would!
So in conclusion, any software company that stops using GenAI heavily risks falling behind the competition and potentialy even going under in the future.
I do not say they cannot still make games without GenAI successfully but it will be increasingly more difficult in the more and more competitive environment.
@KingChiliPepper Thank you. Exactly, I am amazed how many different gameplay mechanics they crammed into the game (Yoshi) and many of them are really clever and fun.
After many years just passively reading this website, I finally decided to create an account today and contribute with my thoughts. Two weeks ago, I cancelled my GTA 6 pre-order, sold my PS5 Pro (with a nice margin) and bought Nintendo Switch 2 together with Yoshi and the Mysterious Book. Previously owned Wii U (sold), Switch (stopped working earlier this year) and New 3DS XL (still kicking).
So, this weekend I will continue playing Yoshi. What a lovely game. I have collected nearly 1000 stars from discoveries and I am about to enter the Moon stage which is probably the last one (not sure) and then go back to previous stages for more discoveries.
Also started playing Fire Emblem: Fortune’s Weave on Thursday and will play it on the weekend as well. My most anticipated game of the year and so far I can safely say it is everything I wanted it to be. The most difficult thing for me was to decide what protagonist to choose first because they all very much appeal to me. In the end I decided for Cai and I do not regret it at all - his story arc is so great.
Anyway, I think I will spend many weeks to come with this one as my gaming time is somewhat limited and I promised myself to have maximum 1 game in the backlog at a time (which is currently Xenoblade Chronicles X).
Comments 5
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (26th September)
@sudowoodo Hearing about CM after such a long time made my day. I played the heck out of the game back in the olden days. After they changed they engine, UX and renamed it to Football Manager I felt like the game lost some of its charm.
Also The Adventures of Elliot seems like a really nice game based on my time with the demo a couple weeks back.
So enjoy both
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (26th September)
Currently playing:
Yoshi and the Mysterious Book - finished stage 10 and added around 200 more discoveries. Also went back to stages 1 and 2 for some missing flowers.
Fire Emblem: Fortune's Weave - Cai's path, traveling the continent before the third qualifier. The story is getting surprisingly dark at places. Love it!
Xenoblade Chronicles X - This one was in my backlog last week. This week I tried to boot it up. Big mistake! It is so difficult to put down
Re: Level-5 Is Really Starting To Panic Amidst Increasing AI Backlash
I do not like game companies using GenAI but we cannot fault them for doing so. If a gamer says "I will boycot this or that company for using GenAI", they are focusing their anger in the wrong direction because the company cannot sop using it even if they very much wanted so at this point (provided they want to stay competitive going forward). Instead we should all strive for abolishing GenAI in general but sadly I cannot imagine what it would take to achieve something like that.
I work for a software company (not gaming) and we are incentivise to use AI as much as possible. The company even started using AI in areas they admited was potentialy "shooting themselves in the foot" but the reasoning was that if they did not start using it in that way the competition would!
So in conclusion, any software company that stops using GenAI heavily risks falling behind the competition and potentialy even going under in the future.
I do not say they cannot still make games without GenAI successfully but it will be increasingly more difficult in the more and more competitive environment.
Sad times...
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (19th September)
@KingChiliPepper Thank you. Exactly, I am amazed how many different gameplay mechanics they crammed into the game (Yoshi) and many of them are really clever and fun.
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (19th September)
After many years just passively reading this website, I finally decided to create an account today and contribute with my thoughts. Two weeks ago, I cancelled my GTA 6 pre-order, sold my PS5 Pro (with a nice margin) and bought Nintendo Switch 2 together with Yoshi and the Mysterious Book. Previously owned Wii U (sold), Switch (stopped working earlier this year) and New 3DS XL (still kicking).
So, this weekend I will continue playing Yoshi. What a lovely game. I have collected nearly 1000 stars from discoveries and I am about to enter the Moon stage which is probably the last one (not sure) and then go back to previous stages for more discoveries.
Also started playing Fire Emblem: Fortune’s Weave on Thursday and will play it on the weekend as well. My most anticipated game of the year and so far I can safely say it is everything I wanted it to be. The most difficult thing for me was to decide what protagonist to choose first because they all very much appeal to me. In the end I decided for Cai and I do not regret it at all - his story arc is so great.
Anyway, I think I will spend many weeks to come with this one as my gaming time is somewhat limited and I promised myself to have maximum 1 game in the backlog at a time (which is currently Xenoblade Chronicles X).
Wish a nice weekend and happy gaming to everyone.