When the Shovel Knight Kickstarter campaign propelled Yacht Club Games to early success a number of stretch goals were hit, and therefore committed the developer to key updates. The studio has stuck to its task of bringing out the Plague of Shadows content as a free update, and it's now available to download on Wii U and 3DS.
Activating the update should happen automatically when you boot up the game, and it brings a host of new options. In addition to the Plague of Shadows campaign - a heavily tweaked version of the core Shovel Knight game - there are a load of tough stages available in the Challenge Mode. Below is an excerpt of details from an email sent to Kickstarter backers.
Plague of Shadows Campaign:
- See your favorite game from a new point of view.
- Play through Shovel Knight's quest, but as the explosive trickster Plague Knight with new gameplay and story.
- Explode onto the scene as Plague Knight!
- Use explosives, bomb jumps, and alchemy to blast your way through the game in a whole new way!
- Combine casing, fuses, powders to create your favorite bomb. Customize your jump and arcana and discover all 9,720 attack combinations!
- Find new armors, secrets, collectibles, easter eggs, and more!
- Master Plague Knight's mobility to defeat new bosses!
- Discover brand new areas and new paths through the classic levels! Use your arcana in challenging new side areas!
- Learn more of the background story behind the beloved characters in the village and the villainous Order of No Quarter.
- Is your science up to snuff? Take on Plague Knight specific challenges with new Feats!
- 10 Shovel Knight Courses: timed challenges, puzzles, enemy survival, and intense platforming!
- 5 Plague Knight Challenges: Prove you're the master of Plague Knight's new bag of tricks!
- 32 Boss Challenges: Revisit the boss fights as Plague Knight and Shovel Knight under new conditions – low health, limited weapons, time limits, and higher stakes!
Both new modes certainly offer plenty of challenge, which should keep players with fast reactions busy for a while.
If you have Shovel Knight check out the update and let us know what you think.