Forums

Topic: The Table Top Gaming thread

Posts 201 to 220 of 444

Themagusx1

@Tasuki That’s right, that’s what it’s called. I own Fizbans treasury of Dragons, and that’s cool book. I never played Council of Wyrms…..did you?

Themagusx1

Tasuki

@Themagusx1 I never got a chance to play it. My friend had the original box set and I had the hardcover book which I had up to a year ago along with the rest of my 2nd and 3rd Edition D&D stuff.

I never played it as I said but I did incorporate parts of it in my Greyhawk campaign that I did years ago. In fact one of my players had a dragon rider character.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Themagusx1

@Tasuki Nice. Though if you don’t mind my asking what happened to your old dnd books a year ago?

That’s pretty cool. So you ran Greyhawk, too bad Greyhawk is not utilized much.

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 I was in 4th grade when 9/11 happened. I'd just come off the bus and was whisked straight to my classroom where we watched events unfold on one of the wheel-in TVs. I wasn't pulled out of school (Mom was a teacher, not sure if dad knew what happened until later), but I know of others at the time who were.

All of those different settings sound interesting, ESPECIALLY that Councile of Wyrms setting. I need to do a LOT more reading and maybe borrow the copy of Fizban's that a member of the group has. I LOVE dragons if it wasn't already obvious from changing my ranger over to a drake warden. XD

On Switch: Sure, you can send a request! As long as someone informs me in advance, I'll accept.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx Yeah I was being driven to school when I heard a plane had hit the World Trade Center and made it on time to school to see the second plane. It was insane how that day unfolded……..I take it that’s all you watched that day Im school.

Those setting are really cool. Dark Sun is one I wish they did more with. They did revive it during the fourth edition days, but as far as I know they have not done much with it I’m fifth edition. I like how it was essentially fantasy Mad Max. And that’s right you are a drake warden. That fizban book is pretty cool, what fifth edition books do you own?

Sent you a fried. Request on switch.

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 Both planes had already crashed into the towers by the time I was able to watch, but we viewed the ensuing aftermath. A very tragic day, one that definitely sticks to memory. There was footage of the other two crash sites too, but I don't remember them as clearly. I think we tried to do some lessons later in the day, but I don't recall any of that at all.

Dark Sun is fantasy Mad Max you say? Now I'm intrigued lol. Though I like a lot of fantasy settings in general if they have work and care put into them. The drake warden thing was funny, I'd already tamed a guard drake in our travels (that took several attempts), and it was noted after the copy of Fizban's arrived that the drake warden was already similar to my beast master setup. The sub-class was a perfect fit! The only fifth edition book that I own so far is the Player's Handbook. Not sure if I'll pick up much else due to the prices I found; I picked it up to make character creation easier to do on my own if I needed to.

On the FC: Awesome! I'll be sure to check my Switch this evening.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx I remember from what I understand is there were no classes just people watching the coverage and that’s all they did that day, that’s what a friend told me we did after I had left. That day was just really crazy.

That’s cool how everything fit in together and your Drake warden came together. That fizban book rocks, I got it for Christmas, and it is really a killer book. And it’s always good to have a players handbook, especially if several people have one I’m a group. So what dnd books I’m 5e interest you?

Awesome I will check my friends list later on.

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 Crazy, weird, abnormal, sad....So many descriptions for that day. While I don't condone some of the aftermath that ensued over the years, I do think the people of the USA were relatively close around that time.

If it pertains to dragons, I'll probably like it unless it's way too saccharine lol. Definitely among my favorite mythological creatures. Besides Fizban, I'd also like to read some of Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, the Monster Manual, and maybe Xanathar's. I love the different names. XD

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx yeah everyone bonded it seemed afterwards but that did not last long. Look where we are at today, and what not.

Nice, then you may like one of the campaign settings aside Council of Wyrms, called Drsgonlance. They even have some books set in that world or I should I say a lot of novels set in that world. I think you would enjoy reading those books, since you are into dragons,,,,,

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 To that first bit in your post....Yeah, look where we're at today. I won't get too into it, but I don't think news "analyses" on whatever stations people choose to follow, not to mention social media echo chambers, help matters.

I believe I've heard of the Dragonlance book series. Definitely more reading material for me to look into when the time comes.

Btw, if you're curious about how my one-shot went this past weekend, feel free to visit the Dungeons and Dragons thread.

Tasuki

On the subject of tabletop.gaming, I was at my State Fair yesterday and they had a display about the history of Monopoly include with actual Monopoly sets from throughout the years. It was interesting to see the evolution of the game throughout the years.

My Backlog

Tyranexx

Tasuki wrote:

On the subject of tabletop.gaming, I was at my State Fair yesterday and they had a display about the history of Monopoly include with actual Monopoly sets from throughout the years. It was interesting to see the evolution of the game throughout the years.

Now THAT would've been cool to see. While I don't have the patience and funding to collect vintage sets - my mom's 1970s version of The Game of Life is about the limit - it's neat to see how popular board games used to look like.

Tasuki

@Tyranexx I still have alot of my mom's old board games. The 1960's version of Life I want to say a 50s version of Clue a 60's version of Monopoly as well as a few other games that their names escape me now. I just retired my mom's Life set as I was able to find a Life Retro edition a few months ago.

But yeah it was interesting. I knew that the original Monopoly board was in a circle instead of a square but I never saw an actual board of it till yesterday.

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx I will definitely check out the dnd thread about your latest adventures. Dragonlance had a lot of stuff and it had even more tabletop supplements than expected.

Themagusx1

Themagusx1

@Tasuki That sounds like a cool exhibit! I would of liked to see something like that at my state fair.

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Tasuki Honestly, that estimate for The Game of Life was a guess lol. I'd have to get a hold of the actual game to see when the material was copyrighted next time I'm at my parents' place. Which might be this coming weekend. It would be neat to see an old Clue set too; I believe it was originally called Cluedo in the UK?

Conversely, I didn't know the original Monopoly board was a circle. I just looked up an image of the original board, and that is crazy neat in a retro sense.

@Themagusx1 Dragonlance had a lot of tabletop supplements then? That's something I like about D&D; it's so custom that you can incorporate almost any fantasy setting, both existing or homebrew, if you put in the work.

Tasuki

@Tyranexx I belive so that it was called Cluedo. I am not sure if it was changed for the US release or the UK nor do I remember why. I know that with my mom's Clue set all the weapons are metal while the rope is an actual piece of rope!! The characters are all wood as well.

My Backlog

Tyranexx

@Tasuki I think Clue is the localized North American name. To quote a bit from Wikipedia:

Wikipedia wrote:

In Canada and the U.S., the game is known as Clue. It was retitled because the traditional British board game Ludo, on which the name is based, was less well known there than its American variant Parcheesi.

It appears there are some name changes too, such as Reverend Green becoming Mr. Green. I fell in love with the game after playing the PC variant back in the 90s. That's crazy that the original sets used metal and true rope! Though I can see why the former are now plastic.

Tasuki

@Tyranexx Interesting, I knew the game name was different but I didn't know the characters were. I always enjoyed Clue it was always one of my favorites. I have an original Clue and by original I mean just your ordinary Clue game with your standard parts, a D&D Clue Edition and Clue Master Detective which adds more rooms, more weapons and more suspects. I have also played several video game versions ra ranging from the NES to SNES PC and Playstation, but that's a conversation for a other thread at least about the video game versions.

My Backlog

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic