Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life gaming quiz - Top 100 High Score for 2023

Posts 861 to 880 of 1,130

Mr_Horizon

lifer wrote:

Despite missing the top 10 this time, I'm still happy with the result. Are 138 players an all-time high?

Glad to hear.
And yes, 138 is yet another record! Most forums kept their standard numbers in June, but RocketBeans, FontGeek and the new Circuit Board brought in a lot more people than usual.

@Mr_Horizon Thanks for finally including Solitaire! I'm surprised that you thought it wouldn't be recognized. Across all Windows Solitaire versions, it should still be the most played game of all time. The concurrent version, which does not come pre-installed with Windows anymore, still has over 100m unique users.

I wasn't sure about Solitaire - but yes I should have expected at least some of its popularity. Maybe the best position would have been at #25, I sometimes put funny or "unusual" games there if I have any... similar to Minesweeper in the Puzzle games round.

But Final Fantasy 2 and Persona (1) aren't really spin-offs, but main line games, aren't they?

Did I call the JRPGs spin-offs...? oh dear, I did. 😯 But not in german, only in english? Maybe I was tired when I translated. 🤷‍♂️

Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

Untitled

July Quiz - Gaming Maps

Well, when was the last time you drew a map yourself in a video game? I think my last really big dungeon map was in the RPG Ishar 2 in the 90s, in my old math exercise book... after that, small stuff at most. This round is about all kinds of "maps" - from futuristic radar UIs to classic dungeon crawlers, from transparent automaps to floor plans scribbled on paper.

So, how many do you know? And bonus question, where did I take the map from the intro picture from?

Once again, I'm sure I've left out a lot of really great games because I simply didn't know them (or the titles were already in previous rounds). Leave me a comment with your favourite missing map?

Deadline is Sunday 31st of July, enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Here's the quiz, grab your compass and let's go!
Untitled
Direct link: https://i.lensdump.com/i/tLKDec.png

Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

July Quiz - Clues #1

This round has been running for a week, so far 35 people have demonstrated their map skills. Not bad, but I'm sure there are plenty more to come! However, almost no one has got the bonus question right yet, so I want to give something away here - I cheated a bit, this is not a computer game.

Here come the first clues:

1) Game 1 shaped its genre so much, the term "Game 1 clone" was very common for years.
2) In Game 14, the first in a long series, you are exclusively in the water.
3) The first version of map #3 more or less founded an entire genre.
4) Four titles in this round have been released exclusively for Nintendo consoles.

Deadline is Sunday 31st July, enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Here's the quiz again, good luck: https://i.lensdump.com/i/tLKDec.png

Mr_Horizon

lifer

Booh to clues on the small number pics!

lifer

Mr_Horizon

lifer wrote:

Booh to clues on the small number pics!

First row answer rates between 50% and 63% are unacceptable! Would you have me admit that I made a mistake by assuming #1 and #3 were very well known by everyone!? Impossible!

Next set of hints is coming on friday, then no more first row clues!

Mr_Horizon

lifer

@Mr_Horizon Well, not knowing #1 is a travesty. #3 I had to google HARD.

lifer

Mr_Horizon

July Quiz - Clues #2

One more weekend and then the final sprint of this round begins - you have just about nine days left to join! Fifty-five players are already in.
There will be no more clues next Friday, just a reminder to the forgetful procrastinators among you.

Here come the second clues:

1) The 15 is an automap in a game from a west RPG series.
2) Game 10 was not released until over 20 years after its completion.
3) In title 12 you use a hovercraft as one of the ways to move around the game.
4) Nothing is Commodore exclusive, but 8, 17, 19 & 20 are multiplatform games that were also released on C64 or Amiga.

Deadline is Sunday 31st July, enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/.

Here is the quiz again, good luck: https://i.lensdump.com/i/tLKDec.png

Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

July Quiz - last weekend

As one month draws to a close, the current quiz round will soon be over too.... So far we are over seventy players, of which three are from this forum. Well, which of you is still missing? Maybe it's @CactusMan @Fizza @Matt_Barber @BabyYoda71 @Minecraftemery @JoakimZ @Blooper987 @BabyYoshi12 @Krull @Pirate_Capn @Anti-Matter or @ReadytoShock?

You only have this weekend to join the game!

The deadline for entries is this Sunday, 31st of July. Enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Here's the quiz one last time: https://i.lensdump.com/i/tLKDec.png

Mr_Horizon

Fizza

@Mr_Horizon Well, I don't know half of the ones there but goddamnit I'll still give it a try regardless!

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Matt_Barber

@Mr_Horizon This is going to be a last minute job for me.

There are just too many of them that I recognize but can't remember which game they're from.

Matt_Barber

Mr_Horizon

Untitled

July Quiz - Answers & Score

The bonus question wasn't particularly popular this round, only half of you (49%) even submitted a suggestion. There were multiple mentions for Uncharted (22%) as well as Tomb Raider, Witcher, Indiana Jones, Myst (with 2% each).

Only 8.6% guessed correctly:

Untitled
It was the close-up of this treasure map from the 80s classic "The Goonies". No points were awarded for this, it wasn't a computer game after all!

Well then, let's start the evaluation: First the names of the games as text, then the pictures, then the high score table.

1) Doom 64
Not as iconic as I thought Whereas I quite like "Elite" and "Thrust" as entries, from the vector graphics and genre influence (as "Elite clones" and "Thrust clones" were a thing after all) one can understand that.
Answer rate: 71%
Other suggestions: Metal Gear Solid, Deus Ex, Turok, System Shock, Thrust, Elite

2) Super Mario Galaxy 2
Everyone recognises the Mario head, therefore the easiest game of this round.
Answer rate: 95%
Other suggestions: -

3) Dota 2
I thought everyone had seen this diagonal "three paths and a river through the middle" map (which has remained roughly the same since the first game) by now.
Answer rate: 58%
Other suggestions: 9x League of Legends, StarCraft, Command & Conquer, Smite, Rogue, Supreme Commander, Warcraft, X-Com

4) Metroid Prime 2
This is the second Nintendo exclusive title of this round.
Answer rate: 66%
Other suggestions: Breath of the Wild, Castlevania, Dead Space, Descent, Doom 2016, Doom Eternal, Half Life, Resident Evil, Warframe

5) Diablo
This is the first time this classic game has appeared in this quiz series, I thought more people knew it.
Solving rate: 68%
Other suggestions: 4x Ultima, Dungeon Keeper, Kagero, Planescape: Torment, Syndicate

6) Batman Arkham Origins
Na na na na na na na Batman symbol!
Answer rate: 80%
Other suggestions: Metroid Dread

7) Red Faction Guerilla
Despite the big logo in the middle of the map, just over half of you recognise it. And "Red Steel" is close in name, but just an overhyped Wii fps.
Answer rate: 57%
Other suggestions: 4x Command & Conquer, The Settlers, Fallout, Red Steel, Rust

8.) Desert Strike
Answer rate: 59%
Other suggestions: Civilization, commando, Desert Storm, Firepower, Sim City, Turn & Burn, Ww2

9) Far Cry 2
Other suggestions: Uncharted Lost Legacy, Bard's Tale, Battle Field, Dead Rising, Deadly Premonition, Quake Enemy Territory, Tomb Raider

10) Star Fox 2
I was wondering why someone would enter "1993 Space Machine" here, but then I realised: that game was on ice for over twenty years, just like Star Fox 2!
Answer rate: 55%
Other suggestions: 5x Star Control, Master of Orion, Space Rangers 2, Toejam and Earl, Wing Commander, xia, 1993: Space Machine

11) Silent Hill 4
Answer rate: 48%
Other suggestions: 4x Resident Evil, Thief, Agatha Christie, Bully, Duke Nukem Forever, Gone Home, Hitman, Life is Strange, Shadowman, This War of Mine

12) Beyond Good & Evil
Is there actually a second part coming? :/
Answer rate: 39%
Other suggestions: Battalion Wars, Bubble Bobble, Crackdown, GTA Vice City, Shellshock

13) Day Z
I also let "Arma" stand. They have the same background and look so similar.
Answer rate: 33%
Other suggestions: 4x Vietcong, 4x Ghost Recon, Lost Patrol, Socom, Bad Company, Call of Duty, Delta Force, Far cry 6, Modern Warfare, Saints Row The Third, spec ops, Golden Axe

14) Silent Hunter
Some entries for "Silent Service", but that's a different series.
Answer rate: 23%
Other suggestions: 5x Silent Service, Pirates, 1942: Pacific Air War, Aces of the Deep, Axis & Allies, Battle for midway, Civilization, F15 Strike Eagle, pacific strike, PTO, Sudden Strike

15) Ultima Underworld
Subtitled "the stygian Abyss". Impressive pre-Doom 3D graphics with automap.
Answer rate: 29%
Other suggestions: 7x Elder Scrolls, Zelda, Dragonflight, Hidden Valley, operation sandstorm

16) Mass Effect 2
This planetary view was easier to identify than I expected.
Other suggestions: X-Com, Elite Dangerous, Homeworld, Rogue Leader, Star Fox.

17) Golden Axe
I was curious how many "Discworld" entries there would be due to the odd turtle. Thirteen!
Answer rate: 48%
Other suggestions: 13x Discworld, God of War, Legend of Hero Tonma, Simon the Sorcerer, Skyrim

18.) Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader
Heavy pew pew pew over the Death Star, I could never do much with the radar though. This is the fourth Nintendo exclusive entry.
Answer rate: 26%
Other suggestions: 4x Wing Commander, Elite Dangerous, astrorock, Battlezone, Colony Wars, Frontier, Space Hulk, Tempest

19) UN Squadron
Also known as Area 88.
Answer rate: 16%
Other suggestions: Jagged Alliance, Dune 1 & 2, Austerlitz, Battle Isle, battleships, Empire, Laser Squad

20) Airborne Ranger
Answer rate: 13%
Other suggestions: Dune 1 & 2, Beach Head, Castles, Command & Conquer , Commando, Conquestador, Hades Nebula, Icari Warriors, It Came From the Desert, Rambo, Robinson's Requiem, Star Wars, Tank Arena, ZZT

21) Dead State
Exactly half of you got it right.
Answer rate: 50%
Other suggestions: Big Mutha Truckers, Blackwell series, Dead by Daylight, Dead Rising, Forza, hunting simulator, Jagged Alliance, Resident Evil 3, Road 96, State of Decay 2, The Sims, Uncharted

22) Midnight Club L.A.
The only racing game of this round.
Other suggestions: GTA, Need for Speed, Burnout, Anomaly Korea, Black Ops, Cities Skylines, Forza Horizon, Front Mission, Persona, Saints Row, Test Drive Unlimited, The Crew, Tom Clancy's Endwar

23) Men of War - Assault Squad
Many have named Company of Heroes, but this is a different series despite all the similarities.
Answer rate: 5%
Other suggestions: 10x Company of Heroes, Battlefield, ARMA, Command & Conquer, Dynasty Warriors, Iron Harvest, Battle for Middle Earth, Syndicate, Total War, Valkyria Chronicles, world of warcraft

24) Prototype
Here I used a generic "New York map" to give the pros something to do and to see what suggestions come in.
Answer rate: 28%
Other suggestions: 8x Spider-Man, True Crime NYC, GTA, Alone in the Dark, Fallout, Infamous, Resistance, Saints Row, The Division, Twister Metal

25) Battle Engine Aquila
An unspectacular sci fi shooter for the ps2.
Other suggestions: Halo, Battlezone, Drakan, Ground Control, Gunship, Magic Carpet, Monster Hunter, Outcast, Populous, Sacrifice, Star Wars Battlefield, Super Mario Kart 64

Here is the puzzle picture again, followed by the answers:
Untitled

Answers:
Untitled
Direct link: https://i2.lensdump.com/i/tyGA5a.png

HIGH SCORE

01 - 25 points - mnc - Dream Team
01 - 25 Points - mmx - Nayuta
01 - 25 Points - rta - Marek
01 - 25 points - rta - EmmaDansTonU
01 - 25 points - spz - The_Bach

06 - 24 points - rta - EarthPainting
07 - 24 points - mnc - Mangamaniac2171
08 - 24 points - mnc - East West Elite
09 - 23 points - mmx - fedprod
10 - 22 points - gsg - TheLastToKnow
11 - 22 points - mtc - Valdien
12 - 22 points - ntl - lifer
13 - 21 Points - mnc - Gerhard S.
14 - 20 Points - gpo - DocMoody
15 - 19 Points - eab - Little Havie
16 - 19 points - eab - darkwave
17 - 19 points - mnc - Baseman
18 - 18 points - mtc - Wibblewozzer
19 - 17 points - rta - Illusionary
20 - 17 points - gav - Wizdom

21 - 17 points - eab - Havie
22 - 17 points - mtc - Parsnip
23 - 17 points - eab - Nobby_UK
24 - 16 points - cib - Sundog
25 - 16 points - smu - drauch
26 - 16 points - mmx - Knuckles
27 - 16 points - ata - jgkspsx
28 - 15 points - rta - Codas
29 - 15 points - rtc - Antiriad2097
30 - 15 points - mnc - HomiSite
31 - 15 points - hcg - Apollo Chungus
32 - 15 points - smu - Mr Shadow
33 - 15 points - gsg - partykiller
34 - 15 points - rta - *Splinter
35 - 14 points - hcg - Mainpatr
36 - 14 points - ftg - DeekyFun
37 - 14 points - ftg - rwklau
38 - 14 points - mmx - Klunky
39 - 14 points - mtc - mssq
40 - 14 points - mnc - sonic2d
41 - 13 points - gpo - rave
42 - 13 points - mtc - MegaApple
43 - 13 points - gpo - Konsolomio
44 - 13 points - rpg - Dezue
45 - 12 points - hcg - Personman
46 - 12 points - hcg - dsparil
47 - 12 points - gms - kopyright
48 - 12 points - can - M.Rick75
49 - 12 points - ftg - drhcnip
50 - 12 points - rta - Freezard
51 - 12 points - rta - Gygas
52 - 12 points - spz - Striderblade
53 - 11 points - mnc - Mitschel
54 - 11 points - sh2 - BVBFabi09
55 - 11 points - pop - Don Como
56 - 11 points - rkb - Addearheart
57 - 11 points - mmx - Cutter Slade
58 - 11 points - ntl - Matt_Barber
59 - 11 points - gms - hellermarie
60 - 10 points - eab - TCD
61 - 10 points - hcg - teroknor
62 - 10 points - ftg - Destria
63 - 10 points - can - Dark Kariya
64 - 10 points - hcg - excelsior
65 - 10 points - rta - SinOfHeart
66 - 10 points - ntl - ReadytoShock
67 - 10 points - hcg - Son of Suzy Creamcheese
68 - 10 points - gpo - KHlover
69 - 10 points - gpo - Eddie
70 - 9 points - wtd - svenoble
71 - 9 points - gav - Cube
72 - 9 points - ftg - Cappy
73 - 9 points - ftg - Lurker
74 - 9 points - mtc - FunnyJay
75 - 9 points - sh2 - Vino
76 - 9 points - sh2 - FoxSpitzer
77 - 9 points - mnc - elementalMaster
78 - 9 points - rkb - Philippe161
79 - 8 points - f64 - Jammet
80 - 8 points - spz - Geddoe
81 - 8 points - rta - Blufunk
82 - 8 points - wtd - zoltan.schwegler
83 - 8 points - gpo - FireSmoke
84 - 8 points - mmx - Dnamei
85 - 8 points - rta - Bushmonkey
86 - 7 points - gms - hellifanboy
87 - 7 points - rtc - Elginmcqueen
88 - 7 points - rpg - D4rkD
89 - 7 points - ftg - RyanDS
90 - 7 points - gpo - Bully
91 - 7 points - gpo - Navarone
92 - 7 points - gav - Scorplian
93 - 7 points - f64 - flowerking
94 - 7 points - rkb - Kirika1987
95 - 7 points - mtc - QFNS
96 - 6 points - wtd - Rossyrg
97 - 6 points - wtd - jenoogle
98 - 6 points - f64 - Endurion
99 - 6 points - ntl - Dogorilla
100 - 6 points - sh2 - Bonz
101 - 6 points - mmx - Lynx
102 - 6 points - gpo - Gameproff
103 - 6 points - nto - 4C8en
104 - 5 points - hcg - snake
105 - 5 points - f64 - JPK64
106 - 5 points - smu - Mischief Maker
107 - 5 points - mmx - LittleChoco
108 - 5 points - cib - Elemental Master
109 - 5 points - rpg - Zion
110 - 5 points - sh2 - godzella
111 - 5 points - mmx - Shades
112 - 5 points - ata - Black_Tiger
113 - 4 points - eab - Mailman
114 - 4 points - nto - curlybird
115 - 4 points - pop - Daiyama
116 - 4 points - hcg - Alexmate
117 - 4 points - smu - Guigui
118 - 4 points - ata - JeremiahJT
119 - 3 points - m!g - Red XIII
120 - 3 points - ntl - StarPoint
121 - 3 points - pop - Puh
122 - 3 points - rtg - AlexH
123 - 2 points - pop - Sascha
124 - 2 points - gav - Yoshi
125 - 2 points - mnc - Arne
126 - 2 points - m!g - Kong
127 - 1 point - sh2 - the_joker2
128 - 1 point - rta - Bob

We have five winners with full points: Congratulations to the Dream-Team, Nayuta, Marek, EmmaDansTonU and The_Bach... you are all NUMBER ONE and share the first place.

For the other people in the top 20, please check out the big list above!

LOCAL HIGH SCORE:

1 - 22 points - @lifer
2 - 11 points - @Matt_Barber
3 - 10 points - @ReadytoShock
4 - 06 points - @Dogorilla
5 - 03 points - @StarPoint

Congrats to lifer for the local lead and the Top 20 position.

But none of you figured out the bonus question, how come?

Thanks to all for taking part and see you next time!

Edited on by Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

Fizza

@Mr_Horizon Sorry for not submitting an answer, I had some surprise guests over this weekend so I just didn't have the time. Looking at those answers though, I doubt I would've made much of a contribution XD

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Mr_Horizon

Fizza wrote:

Looking at those answers though, I doubt I would've made much of a contribution XD

Every submitted entry is a contribution! It all counts in the big forum comparison at the end of the year.

Mr_Horizon

lifer

I've been on vacation until today, so had no time to sit down last minute and search the ones particularly hard for me.Same thing will happen once more end of this month...

It seems I won't be able to defend the hill this year.

lifer

Dogorilla

Mr_Horizon wrote:

21) Dead State
Exactly half of you got it right.

In other words, exactly half of us googled 'Mmm, bison'

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Mr_Horizon

Dogorilla wrote:

Mr_Horizon wrote:

21) Dead State (...)

In other words, exactly half of us googled 'Mmm, bison'

True, there was way too much text in that bit!

lifer wrote:

I've been on vacation until today, so had no time to sit down last minute and search the ones particularly hard for me.Same thing will happen once more end of this month...

It seems I won't be able to defend the hill this year.

You are a legend regardless! ...and maybe it's good for your mental health. To quote "the_Bach": I no longer have a life, but I cannot not participate.

New round is coming this weekend!

Mr_Horizon

lifer

That quote from "the_Bach" is a bit unsettling. There were two quizzes which really took a lot of attention. Both had returning to the quiz throughout the month as part of the concept: the zoom-out quiz and the monster hybrid one. Those are also the ones with the most time spent on by far, but at the same time made them the most memorable quiz months. And they were also the quizzes, where game knowledge exceeded googling.

lifer

Mr_Horizon

lifer wrote:

That quote from "the_Bach" is a bit unsettling.

All you players that somehow manage full score again and again regardless how hard I make it are a bit unsettling. I just hope everyone does it for fun and not from a padded cell.

Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

Untitled

August Quiz - DOS Classics #4

Did anyone notice that the new quiz went online yesterday? No? Well, this is the official announcement.

After the last round of "gaming maps" was a wild mix across all decades and systems, this month it will be 100% retro again. The fourth installment of the DOS classics is here, and that brings us back to the personal computers of the 80s and 90s, with their lowres pixel graphics and crude polygons.

Of course, some of the games are multiplatform titles, so our console & home computer fans won't be left completely empty-handed.

As a bonus question you may again wish for something, because while last year I unfortunately failed to create a "make-a-wish" puzzle due to sloppy planning, I promise you for 2022: The last quiz of the year is made by you!

But now back to the current round: Deadline is Wednesday 31 August, participation via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/.

Here's the quiz, good luck:
Untitled
Direct link: https://i3.lensdump.com/i/1AaHNb.png

Mr_Horizon

Mr_Horizon

August Quiz - Clues #1

+++
Heads up, there's SOMETHING TO BE WON - mods from the "Gaming Village" forum are offering a prize for the top 3, namely download codes for the latest version of game #1.

Thank you: https://gaming-village.de/index.php
+++

Now back to the our usual program.
Just over thirty players so far and in many forums people are moaning "...but I don't know any DOS games!". And even if not all games have been recognised yet, I say: Don't worry, only six titles in this round are actual DOS exclusives, there are twelve games that were also released on the Amiga, and there are console ports of at least as many. I wonder if I could have said "no excuse" instead of "don't worry"

If my words of encouragement are not enough, here are the first hints:

1) In title #2 you fly through mines on other planets & fight the local robots.
2) In the early 90s game #8 you travel through space & try to find allies in the uprising against nasty aliens who have enslaved humanity.
3) In #5 you ski, most people know the version for Windows.
4) There are several point & click graphic adventures in this round, e.g. #7. Known as a Windows game, but there is also a DOS demo of it.

Deadline is Wednesday 31st August, enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/.

Here is the quiz again - good luck: https://i3.lensdump.com/i/1AaHNb.png

Mr_Horizon

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic