Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 9,821 to 9,840 of 70,052

FGPackers

I liked it overall. The only thing i didn't like was the too short Zelda portion and the much longer 1 2 Switch version. They needed to be inverted

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

skywake

@FragRed
The issue with those services is that Nintendo isn't in control of when they launch. It's upto the streaming services themselves when they appear. For example in the US Netflix was there on day 1 for Wii U. Youtube, Hulu and Amazon came about a week later. The software for those services should be thought of in the same way that you think of third party games. They can push it and build an ecosystem that makes it easier but for the most part it's out of Nintendo's hands.

I won't be at all shocked if it turns out we only have to wait a few weeks. Hopefully there are ways to access that content via the web browser in the meantime. If a browser is there on day 1. And even if not, who cares. I'm playing Zelda on it for the first little bit anyways!

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jump

^I did notice there's no browser icon on the Switch screen the same way there was for the Wii U or 3DS, so it may mean you can't pause the game and browse at the same time.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Haruki_NLI

@skywake You would stop playing Switch when the lecturer walks in where I am. Sony partnered university and as a company Nintendo and their design philosophies are mark reductions. Found that out the hard way.

Cool to see ads though, and waterproof though thats probbaly just so they dont get sued.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

OorWullie

@jump I doubt the UI we've seen is the final version that'll be there for at launch. It will probably keep the same look but there has to be more to it. It would be more bare bones than the Wii.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Late

@BLP_Software That's just weird. Our university has partnerships with multiple companies (Sony, Crytek, Valve, etc.) but it's not like the lecturers themselves have connections to them. It just enables us to try out different engines, consoles, etc. for our games. No one cares what you're playing. There are gaming tournaments and other events where people bring their consoles to school as well as a PS4 in one of the hallways for anyone to use.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

skywake

BLP_Software wrote:

@skywake You would stop playing Switch when the lecturer walks in where I am. Sony partnered university and as a company Nintendo and their design philosophies are mark reductions. Found that out the hard way.

Not quite what I was getting at. I just thought it was funny how they had a bit where the students were all frantically scurrying about trying to look studious. With the lecturer not looking at all impressed about it. That's not how it'd go down at most UNIs.

I think that most of the time the lecturer wouldn't really care as long as you weren't distracting other students. It'd just be you wasting your own time. And even then there's a bit of wiggle room. The start of the lecture is wasted time because people are all turning up making a racket anyways. So there's plenty of time for a quick round of Mario Kart or something.

A phone ringing on the other hand...

Edited on by skywake

Haruki_NLI

@Octane Maybe there will be a software update to make em waterproof.

And youre a literal person so please tell me I dont need to explain the joke.

@Late The lecturers have something against em. Dunno why. Think GBA is the same as a GB and that youshould use them as a study for how to not make games. Its great fun. Hard to tell if they are joking or not but its not the best thing to tell future developers to ignore a console manufacturer entirely.

Theyd flip out to hell and back if they knew I was working on stuff to go on Switch.

@skywake I had a 3ds game case in my bag that I put on the table briefly before a lecture. The guy started looking at me like it was his sons head on the table.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

jump

OorWullie wrote:

jump I doubt the UI we've seen is the final version that'll be there for at launch. It will probably keep the same look but there has to be more to it. It would be more bare bones than the Wii.

That wouldn't surprise me tbh.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Octane

@BLP_Software I've dealt with plenty of stupid people on the internet before, sarcasm doesn't really translate well into written text. So you never know..

Octane

Luna_110

Well, showing the Switch at the Super Bowl is a good way to reach to more casual audiences. I only wish the trailer used other music, the song doesn't really catch your attention as the music of the Pokemon ad last year did.

At least, the marketing department is doing ads on a grand scale, which is a good signal regarding the Switch's future. The Wii U never had so big of an adl

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Captain_Toad

@skywake Yep, Zelda is pretty much gonna carry this Switch in 1 to 2 months post-release at the very least. OMG!

Edited on by Captain_Toad

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

TuVictus

That trailer (previous page) was good except for any part trying to show the motion controls. Which looks forced and cringe inducing in my opinion.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

skywake

BTW there's an Easter Egg 4 seconds into the ad. The book his Switch is sitting ontop of is "It's Dangerous to go Alone" by Zel Dash. Sneaky.

FGPackers

Very nice trailer, excellent idea and most of all finally Nintendo seems to make a heavy marketing push for the system. Can't be happier!

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Nicolai

skywake wrote:

gcunit wrote:

and as there's no voiceover to guide you through the trailer and provide any narration or explanation, they lack clarity.

If they need narration then the message is too complicated. They get away with not having it because the key selling point of the Switch is simple. That video has the title "Nintendo Switch - Play anytime, anywhere, with anyone". As a piece of marketing nothing more needs to be said IMO.

It's still good to have a narration, in case the viewer isn't looking right at the TV.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic