Forums

Topic: Everything Star Wars discussion thread| How you doing, you old pirate?

Posts 861 to 880 of 1,108

Octane

@Dezzy George actually wrote a ton of stuff for Star Wars, way more than he ever used. Just groundwork of the entire world, so there was always something he could lean back on, and it wouldn't feel out of place because it was always there anyway. I mean, New Hope was foreshadowing The Emperor; Darth Vader was still alive when the credits rolled. Sure, the ending was conclusive, but I don't believe he never planned to make a sequel. Of course, that depended on whether the first one was successful, but I think the intention was always there.

Octane

Gerald

@Zeldafan79 We see Star Wars differently, and that’s ok, Each their own.
The Princess Leia flying through space is still ridiculous and comical at the same time. It looked like the Statue of Liberty flying through space, and also the Laws of Gravity changing from leaving and getting back to the ship - That is pi$$ poor, why even bother. Jedi’s are not Magician’s or Super Heroes
As I said, each their own

Edited on by Gerald

NNID: Ootfan98
3DS FC: 3909 - 7501 - 9000

jump

Dezzy wrote:

jump wrote:

It's always been the case Star Wars has been made up on the fly, Return of the Jedi is a different movie to what was on the script to make it happier for toy sales.

You mean they just changed wookies into ewoks? That hardly changes how the story proceeds though.

Yes, they largely made the original trilogy up as they went along. But the crucial difference was that it was the same people making the calls with each movie, so it feels consistent and believable because it's coming from the same person who had a set idea for the sort of thing he was going for.

If you get someone who's never seen the original trilogy and make them watch the whole thing, there's no real way they'd know that Vader being Luke's father was invented after the first movie was already out. It actually fits incredibly well with the first movie, because Obi-wan talks about Luke's father a lot and looks very awkward when Luke asks how he died. Seen retrospectively, it looks like foreshadowing.
And you definitely wouldn't know that the Emperor being the "Dark Lord of the Sith" was invented between movies too, and he was originally just supposed to be a corrupt human politician. These reveals are all handled incredibly well.

There were a lot of other changes to it than just that. Solo was meant to be killed early on to make you unsure who would survive as the movies goes on, Leia fails as a leader, Luke abandons everyone, the Rebels are gone etc. One of Lucas' key producers quit because of all of the changes.

Gerald wrote:

Jedi’s are not Magician’s or Super Heroes

I disagree with that, they clearly have powers and are the sci-fi equivalents of wizards from fantasy and superheroes from comic books.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

GrailUK

I didn't care about any of the Disney trilogy if I'm brutally honest. I mean, the prequel trilogy were bad films (too much cgi) but they added so much lore and depth to the worlds that shone in games and books. This new trilogy has come and gone and I struggle to see why it was even necessary. Especially after Disney throwing away all the canon to make their own. I might consider watching the first 6 films in order but Return of the Jedi was such a fitting end, and Force Awakens does nothing but reset the clock, that the Disney trilogy isn't required viewing.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

FullMetalWesker

@Gerald - "It baffles me that critics are saying Ep8 is better than Ep9."
Having seen RoS, I'm actually not that surprised; At least TLJ had ideas, themes, and decent character moments peppered throughout. RoS, on the other hand, has next to nothing of note and relies entirely on the idea that you're either a Star Wars fan and will take anything, or a casual moviegoer, and are fine with some light popcorn entertainment. I hate to say it, but it's utterly disposable.
Also, critics do love films with socially relevant themes; that's not just a Star Wars thing, that's a film thing in general.

FullMetalWesker

gcunit

Zeldafan79 wrote:

@Gerald
Chewie trying to eat the porg while the live porg was staring at him looking traumatized got plenty of laughs!

This scene is a particular annoyance. The porg is already dead and cooked, it really may as well be eaten by that point. Just seemed like a particularly cheap laugh to me.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Zeldafan79

@gcunit
The theater sure burst out in laughter when i went to see it! It's a cute porg watching one of his friends almost being eaten in front of him. Don't you know funny when you see it? Also when Chewie is chasing ties through that crystal cave and a porg slams up against the window! What about when Wicket in ROTJ was swinging the bola around his head and it wraps around his face and he falls over? Cheap humor in star wars? Nah!

Edited on by Zeldafan79

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Zeldafan79

@jump
Yeah it's basically space wizards and the force might as well be magic! It's not sci-fi and i just roll my eyes everytime someone calls it that. It's space fantasy!

Gerald

@FullMetalWesker “ At least TLJ had ideas, themes, and decent character moments peppered throughout”

I thought a lot of the ideas were just put in to shock or be different for the sake of being different, they just didn’t work for me. The throwing of the Light Saber is an example of this.
I think TLJ has still copies elements from other Starwars Films (like the Hoth AT-AT scene) but just nowhere near as good.

I agree with you regarding critics and social relevant themes, and that is why I don’t trust critics reviews

On the funny side of things. if you’re from uk, and watched comedy’s from the 80’s, I laughed when I saw Ade Edmonson (Vivian from ‘The Young Ones’) on the Star Destroyer in TLJ. I was expecting him to whack someone round the head with a frying pan or a cricket bat, Just seeing his face makes me laugh

Edited on by Gerald

Zeldafan79

@Gerald
That throwing of the lightsaber in TLJ is not the first time luke did that you know. He did it in ROTJ when he refused the emperors attempts to convert him. Here's an interesting take on TLJ and why some including myself might have liked or dare i say even loved it. There are many good points made here.

Edited on by Zeldafan79

Gerald

@Zeldafan79 Come on! Comparing throwing the Light Saber in ROTJ with TLJ is not a apples for apples. They are completely different scenarios. This was done in TLJ to shock the audience. Some like it. I didn’t.

Thanks for the Link. I’ll take a look when a have some spare time later

gcunit

Zeldafan79 wrote:

@gcunit
The theater sure burst out in laughter when i went to see it! It's a cute porg watching one of his friends almost being eaten in front of him. Don't you know funny when you see it? Also when Chewie is chasing ties through that crystal cave and a porg slams up against the window! What about when Wicket in ROTJ was swinging the bola around his head and it wraps around his face and he falls over? Cheap humor in star wars? Nah!

I don't take issue with those other scenes you cite. But the idea that Chewie has caught, killed and spit-roasted a porg but then won't eat it due to a sudden attack of conscience brought on by another porg is particularly cheap to my eye. If it had stopped Chewie killing the porg in the first place, it could have worked a bit better, but once it's dead and cooked, not eating it is no good to anyone.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

jump

Speaking of Porgs, apparently they were only in the film as the island they were filming on had wild puffins everywhere but it was cheaper to CGI them as alien animals than shooing them away or deleting them out of the footage. Once they saw the designs they loved them and made them a bigger part of the movie.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Octane

@jump Nah, they clearly exist to sell toys. They just didn't catch on the way they hoped they would.

Octane

Zeldafan79

@Octane
You mean like how every other star wars character since the original movie were made to sell toys? Not just the cute ones. These have always been movies made for kids. The problem is those original kids are now sarcastic old 40 somethings with no sense of humor! This is why Jar Jar couldn't get a break.

Zeldafan79

Just got back from the rise of skywalker and i gotta say as expected i enjoyed it! The action was non stop! The movie moves at a really fast pace. Sure didn't feel like almost three hours. 3PO has some really funny scenes! There's a moment with chewie where i nearly cried! Two in fact! Kylo is awesome as ever! Love the new look of his helmet btw! I read that the cracks in it are supposed to be inspired by a japanese process called Kintsugi. which is the art of repairing broken pottery by dusting the lacquer used to glue the pieces back together in gold or silver. The idea is to treat the breakage of the piece as a part of its history, instead of something to hide. Very cool idea and very fitting with his character! The final duel was good but maybe not as epic as Anakin Vs Obiwan. I don't think any duel in the saga could be.

So yeah anyway loved it!

Here's a heck of a thing though. After all the hate TLJ got people are actually now changing their tone and saying that movie is better than TROS. Like seriously? Ugh this fanbase and their refusal to grow with the franchise and allow themselves to like anything past the OG trilogy! Bunch of crabby old farts!

GrailUK

The Force Awakens just reset the clock and rebooted New Hope. (This film was like scientists seeing if an experiment was reproduceable.)

The Last Jedi dropped the clock and it broke on the floor. All the pieces should have resembled Empire Strikes Back, but Rian Johnson couldn't remember which order they went it. (Good film, just forgot to be Star Wars)

Rise of Skywalker tried to fix the clock but now the clock is running way too fast! Would have been Return of the Jedi sooner, but they needed to play Dizzy first to get there.

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

judaspete

Rise of Skywalker is like the anti-Revenge of the Sith. RotS fumbles the small moments and character interactions, but when you step back and take it as a whole, there's a pretty good story being told. RoS is the opposite. For the most part individual scenes and character moments are well done, but when you step back and look at the big picture, it's a big jumbled mess.

In short, I'd say both movies are about equally good (and bad), but for different reasons.

Edited on by judaspete

judaspete

My Nintendo: judaspete | Nintendo Network ID: judaspete

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic