Forums

Topic: Thread of totally awesome Netflix Instant recommendations

Posts 901 to 920 of 1,051

Dreamz

While I know it's probably already been recommended in this thread Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey is fantastic.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

RR529

Dreamz wrote:

While I know it's probably already been recommended in this thread Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey is fantastic.

Yeah, I'm taking a bit of a break from it currently, but I've watched the first 6 or so episodes, and it really is interesting.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tasuki

RR529 wrote:

Time for an update on what I've been watching:

Mr. Peabody & Sherman - Watched this one with the family last Saturday, and while it wasn't bad, it wasn't particularly good either (which is pretty much how all Dreamworks stuff turns out, from what I can gather). I'm a sucker for time travel tales, so I enjoyed that aspect of it, but as per usual for Dreamworks, they put in a few too many fart/BO jokes for my preference. It just felt like it was missing "something", but I just don't know what that was.

RoboCop (2014) - This was a pretty worthwhile watch. The special effects were great, and really helped accentuate the action in the second half of the film. The only thing that holds it back is that it has two bad guys, and while there's lots of action in regards to minions, the story splits time between the two big villains, so there's no real big climactic battle with either (and it felt a bit rushed in regards to the latter one). That said, it was pretty good for an origin story, and I'd like to see sequels expand on everything. NOTE: I've never seen any of the original movies.

The original is available to stream as well on Netflix.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

rayword45

Just watched Waking Life on Netflix. One of the most unique movies I've ever seen.

While my IQ level is probably 27 points below the intended audience I'd recommend the movie to any fans of animation who don't groan at the thought of a little highbrow rambling.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

RR529

I finished up season one of Marco Polo last week.

It wasn't perfect, but overall I did really like it, and will probably return for season 2, once it's up.

Still need to finish Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey though (preferrably before Daredevil is released).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

The Last Samurai - Awesome film. Tom Cruise plays a disillusioned U.S. soldier in the late 1800's (after being forced to take part in the unsavory actions against the Native Americans), who after being sent to Japan to train their modernizing army, discovers the way of the Samurai, and decides to help them in their last stand to preserve their way of life.

Bad Grandpa (Unrated) - This was absolutely crude, but I just couldn't help but laugh at the various ludicrous scenarios (being a hidden camera style film, the reactions of the passer bys were a highlight). I have a feeling it'd be even better if watched with a group.

Marvel's Daredevil - I finished this up a couple weeks ago, and it was pretty awesome. It's darker than your usual MCU faire, but it's pretty mind blowing to realize that the gruesomely bloody scene you just witnessed takes place in the same continuity where Iron Man is off somwhere shooting off snarky one liners. The action scenes are really well choreographed as well.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Troggy

I started watching Bojack Horseman recently. Here's my spoiler-free thoughts:

I completely misjudged this series. From the adverts, I had the idea that it was just a rip-off of Family Guy or American Dad which did everything those shows did poorly note-by-note. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Bojack steered clear from that front. In fact, it couldn't be further from the dreck Seth Macfarlane provides for entertainment, as Bojack is one of the wittiest, yet most foul comedies I've seen in my life. Every character is either awkward, annoying or cruel, yet they remain likeable, which in my opinion is a very difficult thing to nail in an adult comedy, so the writers deserve a lot of respect on that front. I'd say it's well worth a watch for anyone with Netflix. You have no reason not to watch it. Do it now. Go. I'm serious.

'The suffering of others is the most amusing thing there is' - King Dedede

RR529

I watched a 3 part documentary called Superheroes: A Never-Ending Battle that was pretty interesting.

It covers the history of how superheroes were created, how they've evolved with the times, and, how they're often pioneers of tackling society's current issues. Even if you're really only into the films (like myself), I still think it's worth a watch.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

The Punisher (Movie) - Also mentioned this in the Marvel thread. Note that I haven't read the comic, but as an action movie I thought it was a good watch. Not a must see by any means, but if you have any interest in action or superhero movies, it might be worth a look if you have the time. It's an R rated film though, so not for the kids.

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (TV Show) - Finished this up tonight. 13 part big budget series that showcases all we know about the world, from the smallest organisms to the furthest reaches of space, in an interesting way. I found the episodes where they were explaining deep space more interesting than the Earth centric episodes, but it was all interesting, and it's definitely worth a watch. Baffled by the fact that Seth MacFarlane is credited as a producer on the show though (maybe he was in charge of the animated segments).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Chrono_Cross

Lawless is fantastic.

Seriously, watch it.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

jump

My Picks:

Better Call Saul, it's the follow up to Breaking Bad nuff said.

Daredevil is great, think Arrow without the tween drama and is more Batman than the Dark Knight films.

Luthor, pretty much shows why Idris Elba will/has to be Bond.

Cropsey, a really good documentary about a urban legend coming real and how public opinion plays into criminal proceedings.

Bojack Horseman, witty, psychological, funny as someone said above think Family Guy if they had decent writers working on the show.

Misfits, a cross between X-Men and Skins, funny, interesting cast and it's good to see teenagers play teenagers.

Grace and Frankie, I wish more American sitcoms was like this, no laugh track, the jokes and humour comes from the characters rather than zingers and an interesting premise although I don't buy Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston as a couple as their arguments are too considerate and civil.

Archer, I don't know how this show works so well when virtually every (and I mean every) piece of dialogue is someone shouting or arguing.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

RR529

I think I'll now discribe all my movie experiences in the Movie Thread (including movies watched on Netflix), but I'll leave a list of movies I think are must watch here:

• 13 Assassins (Japanese language film)
  • Emperor
  • House of Flying Daggers (Chinese language film)
  • Kill Bill Vol. 1
  • Last Samurai, The
  • Inglorious B-st-rds
  • Outrage (Japanese language film)
  • Red Cliff (Chinese language film)

Oh, an pretty much any 90's Disney animated feature (like Hercules, Mulan, & Hunchback of Notre Dame, The).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Just to let people know, Terminator, Conan the Barbarian (the original), and Underworld: Evolution have been added.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

jump

The Nick Offerman: American Ham special is fantastic.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Mrclaycoat

Just watched "The Sapphires" last night and it was amazing!!!

https://www.change.org/petitions/nintendo-of-america-make-nick-cage-your-spokesman

Tasuki

So they added Terminator to stream and for the last six months had T2 for stream as well yet now it's gone. That makes no sense why would you add the first one and pull the second one, especially with the new one coming out here in theaters.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

RR529

Watched Beyond Outrage earlier today. I eft my full impressions in the Movie Thread, but in short, it's a really good followup to the original.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

For anyone interested, they've added Penguins of Madagascar: the Movie (I know a lot of people here that are really into cartoons, so I figured this was worth a mention. I'll probably watch it myself too, sometime within the week).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

jump

New Bojack Horseman!!!

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic