Well, it had been a while. For a variety of reasons 12th November brought the first global Nintendo Direct broadcasts in quite some time. Overall the presentations stuck to familiar styles and approaches, with Nintendo of Europe playing it fairly straight and Nintendo of America even indulging in a little sketch comedy.
Overall the broadcasts delivered quite a mix of surprises and the expected details; we had showcase moments for upcoming titles like Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival and Xenoblade Chronicles X among others, news of updates and DLC for established games like Splatoon and more recent titles like The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes, and then there were surprises. Some we pretty much knew were coming, such as The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, while others were shocks. It's safe to say that Masahiro Sakurai found a whole new way to catch Super Smash Bros. fans off guard, while Dragon Quest fans were given wonderful news. There was more besides such as Linkle in Hyrule Warriors Legends, some eShop details for Wii U and 3DS owners to enjoy and a treat for gen one Pokémon fans.
It was also the first Nintendo Direct, of course, since Satoru Iwata passed away. The broadcasts opened with a poignant acknowledgement of the loss and with thanks for the messages of support that had been shared by the company's fans.
We'll be picking up on some talking points for editorial content over the coming weekend, but as is tradition we thought we'd first provide a handy summary of all the news and articles published so far around the Nintendo Direct. We've included links to an interview and some previews of the key games that have been published recently, too.
Hit up the comments with your thoughts on the latest Nintendo Direct broadcasts, as we'd love to know your opinions on what went down.
- The Legend of Zelda is Receiving a HD Facelift - Out in March 2016
- Star Fox Zero to Launch on 22nd April 2016
- New Stages and Gear Confirmed for Splatoon
- Shadow Mewtwo amiibo Card to be Included in Launch Versions of Pokken Tournament
- FAST Racing NEO Given December Release Window
- The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks Released on Wii U in Europe
- Super Mario Maker Web Portal Due in December
- Mother 3 Heading to the Wii U Virtual Console in Japan
- Typoman Confirmed for 19th November Release
- Pokémon Red, Blue & Yellow Heading to the 3DS Virtual Console in 2016
- Dragon Quest VII and VIII Remakes Heading to the West in 2016
- Fire Emblem Fates Given Release Date and Bundle Details for North America
- Hyrule Warriors Legends Release Date and Linkle Character Confirmed
- Free Den of Trials DLC and Outfits Heading to The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes
- Square Enix Confirms Details of Final Fantasy Explorers Special Edition
- Gold Mega Man amiibo Launching Alongside Mega Man Legacy Collection
- Free-to-Play Pokémon Picross Heading to the 3DS eShop Soon
Wii U and 3DS
- Final Fantasy's Cloud Confirmed as New Challenger in Super Smash Bros.
- Lucas and Next Wave of amiibo Detailed for January 2016
Features & Miscellaneous
- Catch Up With All the Nintendo Direct Broadcasts and Trailers
- Preview: Getting Lost in the World of Xenoblade Chronicles X
- Preview: Crossing Over With Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
- Interview: Image & Form on SteamWorld Heist and Its Nintendo Direct Cameo
- Video: Check Out a Graphics Comparison for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD