For several months now Niantic has combined the Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour and Pokémon GO Mystery Bonus Hour into a single weekly event that takes place on Tuesday evenings. See below for more details.
It's also worth noting that Niantic has temporarily altered some elements of Pokémon GO gameplay in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. Different countries and regions have their own precautionary measures in place, so please remember to stay safe, avoid contact with others and abide by local directives.
The Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour and Mystery Bonus Hour events were first introduced to the game in February 2020. Every week for an hour on a Tuesday evening (currently 6pm - 7pm local time), a specific surprise Pokémon will appear more frequently in the wild or a Mystery Bonus will activate for one hour only. This currently occurs on Tuesdays and gives you a chance to catch as many of the featured Pokémon as possible, evolve it with candy, and possibly encounter a Shiny version.
The Spotlight Hour and Mystery Bonus Hour events occur at the same local time across time zones. Niantic has recently taken to announcing the month's Spotlight Pokémon ahead of time, although it was originally a surprise. However, the local 6 - 7pm timing meant that players in the West got advance warning of the featured Pokémon because everyone living in time zones to the East lives in the future.
So, in this regularly updated guide we’ll let you know which Pokémon will be featured in Spotlight Hour on Tuesdays and what Mystery Bonus you'll be able to enjoy.
Latest Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour times: Tuesday 22nd September 2020, 6pm - 7pm - Spearow
- Until further notice, Niantic is combining the Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour and Pokémon GO Mystery Bonus Hour into a single weekly event that will take place on Tuesday evenings (the same time the regular Spotlight Hour event took place previously)
- The next Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour will be on Tuesday 22nd September 2020 at 6pm - 7pm in your local time-zone
- The chosen Pokémon is Spearow
- The chosen Pokémon will appear more frequently in the wild for the duration of the event
Additionally, Niantic has announced all the Spotlight Hours and Mystery Bonuses for the month of September:
Tuesday, September 29, 2020: Skitty will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Stardust for catching Pokémon.
Latest Pokémon GO Mystery Bonus Hour times: Tuesday 22nd Sept 2020, 6pm - 7pm – 2x Evolve XP
- The next Pokémon GO Mystery Bonus Hour will be on Tuesday 22nd September 2020 at 6pm - 7pm in your local time-zone (the same time as the Spotlight hour)
- The featured Mystery Bonus is 2x Evolve XP
- For the month of September (as with several previous months) the Mystery Bonus Hour will continue to coincide with the Spotlight Hour and will both occur at the same time on Tuesday evenings
Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour and Mystery Bonus Hour FAQ
When do Pokémon GO Spotlight Hours usually take place?
Spotlight Hours are held on a Tuesday evening every week and last for 1 hour, from 6pm to 7pm in your local timezone.
When do Pokémon GO Mystery Bonus Hours usually take place?
Mystery Bonus Hours were originally held on Thursday evenings every week and last for 1 hour, from 6pm to 7pm in your local timezone, although Niantic has combined both events for several months now. It seems likely that the events will be combined permanently from now on.
What can I expect from Pokémon GO Spotlight Hours and Mystery Bonus Hours?
- A significant increase in spawns of the featured Pokémon
- Increased spawns mean increased odds of encountering a Shiny version of the featured Pokémon (Note: these are not indicated on the map - you must tap the Pokémon to see whether it's a Shiny version)
- A temporary modification from the Mystery Bonus, similar to the bonuses enjoyed during Community Day events (so double XP, reduced egg hatching times, Candy or Stardust increases, etc.)
How can I prepare for Pokémon GO Spotlight Hours and Mystery Bonus Hours?
Assuming the headlining monster is one you’re interested in, we would recommend that you start stockpiling useful items ready for Spotlight Hours. You should make sure you have:
- Enough Pokéballs and Pinap Berries to catch and evolve Spotlight Hour Pokémon
- Extra Ultra Balls and Razz Berries on hand to nab any hard-to-catch Pokémon that pop up
- Lures to draw the featured Pokémon to you might be a good idea, although Spotlight Hour events don't increase Lure time like their Community Day counterparts, so you'll only get 30 minutes from a Lure
- Sufficient space in your Pokémon Storage Box for all the Pokémon you're going to catch - you only have an hour, remember, so don't waste it doing admin you could have done beforehand
- Lucky Eggs, Star Pieces and Super Incubators on standby (depending on the nature of the bonus)
Previous Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour featured Pokémon and Mystery Bonuses – List of Pokémon from past Spotlight Hours
Past Pokémon GO Spotlight Hours:
- 4th Feb - Onix
- 11th Feb - Spoink
- 18th Feb - Generally increased spawn rates
- 25th Feb - No event
- 3rd Mar - Generally increased spawn rates
- 10th Mar - Generally increased spawn rates
- 17th Mar - Generally increased spawn rates
- 24th Mar - Generally increased spawn rates
- 31st Mar - Generally increased spawn rates
- 7th Apr - Purrloin
- 14th Apr - Magnemite
- 21st Apr - Wobbuffet
- 28th Apr - Pidgey
- 5th May - Shellder
- 12th May - Sunkern
- 19th May - Poochyena
- 26th May - Bronzor
- 2nd Jun - No event
- 9th Jun - Patrat
- 16th Jun - Numel
- 23rd Jun - Clefairy
- 30th Jun - Kricketot
- 7th Jul - Taillow
- 14th Jul - Zubat
- 21st Jul - Oddish
- 28th Jul - Buizel
- 4th Aug - Horsea
- 11th Aug - Sableye
- 18th Aug - Venipede
- 25th Aug - Geodude
- 1st Sep - Eevee
- 8th Sep - Houndour
- 15th Sep - Tentacool
Past Pokémon GO Mystery Bonus Hours:
- 6th Feb - 2x Catch Stardust
- 13th Feb - 2x Raid XP
- 20th Feb - 2x Catch Stardust
- 27th Feb - No event
- 5th Mar - 2x Catch XP
- 12th Mar - 2x Catch Candy
- 19th Mar - 2x Transfer Candy
- 26th Mar - 2x Evolution XP
- 2nd Apr - 2x Catch Stardust
- 7th Apr - 2x Catch XP (Mystery Bonus Hour combined with Spotlight Hour from here on)
- 14th Apr - 2x Catch Candy
- 21st Apr - 2x Transfer Candy
- 28th Apr - 2x Evolution XP
- 5th May - 2x Catch Stardust
- 12th May - 2x Catch XP
- 19th May - 2x Catch Candy
- 26th May - 2x Transfer Candy
- 2nd Jun - No event
- 9th Jun - 2x Evolve XP
- 16th Jun - 2x Catch XP
- 23rd Jun - 2x Catch XP
- 30th Jun - 2x Catch Candy
- 7th Jul - 2x Transfer Candy
- 14th Jul - 2x Evolution XP
- 21st Jul - 2x Catch Stardust
- 28th Jul - 2x Catch XP
- 4th Aug - 2x Catch Candy
- 11th Aug - 2x Transfer Candy
- 18th Aug - 2x Evolve XP
- 25th Aug - 2x Catch Stardust
- 1st Sep - 2x Catch XP
- 8th Sep - 2x Catch Candy
- 15th Sep - 2x Transfer Candy
We'll update this page weekly, so be sure to check back if you want a heads-up for the featured Spotlight Hour Pokémon or the Mystery Bonus.