A passionate pastiche of pixels past
Independent games are well-known for reaching into the early days of the industry for inspiration. Many indies borrow the retro style of chiptunes and pixel art, being an aesthetic that's easily created on a smaller budget, and titles like Shovel Knight have even elevated the look beyond its original form. Life...
Mario Kart 64! Adventures of Pip! Radiohammer! Themes galore! More!
Another week begins with the Nintendo Download Update details in Europe, and this time around we have a Nintendo 64 classic joined by a long-awaited retro-styled new release on the home console. Beyond that we have an exciting demo, 3DS Home Themes galore and a few discounts; let's...
Devil's Third! Microtransactions! Senran Kagura! Q.U.B.E! More!
The beginning of another week brings us the European Nintendo Download Update details, with this entry bringing some major releases. We have a much anticipated FPS action game on Wii U, along with a toys-to-life option and some tempting downloads, while the 3DS brings the latest Senran...
Classic Fire Emblem! Weird Smash 3DS controller thing! Discounts! More!
Some things don't even change in E3 week, whether it be the underwear of those of us watching everything unfold over three days or the arrival of the Nintendo Download Update. This week's North American update has a treat for Fire Emblem fans, some new eShop-only releases,...
"Before we launched on PC, we had fairly high hopes for Life of Pixel"
Late last year developer Super Icon Ltd re-affirmed that Life of Pixel is coming to the Wii U eShop. That was great news for fans of platformers and retro systems - this game has the neat hook of each level looking like it's from a different retro system, including Nintendo...
Super Icon's Life of Pixel is a 2D action platformer which aims to celebrate the days when the pixel was king. Placing the player in the role of the titular green hero, you must travel through gaming history and aid Pixel's quest of self-discovery. The title is already available on PC and Mac, and has a unique selling point — each...
Life of Pixel - 13 Game Machines in 1 Epic Adventure Game!
Journey across the expertly-recreated worlds of more than a dozen vintage gaming systems, from Commodore 64 to Gameboy to SNES! Life of Pixel takes you on a historical tour-de-force across the rich landscape of 8-bit and 16-bit gaming.
Chock-full of tricks & traps, double jump challenges, gravity inversion, special power-ups, puzzles you must vanquish the enemy pixels and bosses who try to thwart you throughout your quest. Life of Pixel will show you the coolness of video gaming and the history of where it all began and how it evolved.
- Inspired by the 8 & 16-bit Eras: Take a journey with the wizened Professor Pixel and revisit the golden age of gaming. Featuring a massive variety of beautiful pixel art from classic 8 & 16-bit game systems, such as Amiga, SNES, Mega Drive, Commodore 64, Apple II, Game Boy, NES, Atari 2600, ZX Spectrum and Master System!
- Revisit Classic Games: Look out for nudges to console classics like Mega Man, Castlevania, Zelda, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Metroid, Wonder Boy, Pitfall, Sonic & more. Revisit computer legends such as Turrican, Uridium, Jet Set Willy, James Pond, Rick Dangerous, Prince of Persia, Impossible Mission, Exile & lots more.
- Loads of Secrets! Dozens of special secrets to uncover and experience. From silly little touches through to great big mega-epic secrets! Look out for jetpacks, bubbles to fly, trampolines, hidden rooms and maps, aeroplanes, skateboards and even a Sinclair C5!
- Awesome Power-ups: Special power-ups and equipment with levels featuring puzzles and secrets only accessible using Pixel's new found abilities. Fire pixel from a cannon, reach high areas by bouncing on a trampoline, use the Super Potion to defeat enemies, smash the baddies with the mine cart, deploy the Bomb to destroy walls and uncover hidden secrets!
- Chip Music Goodness: We've worked with amazing chip musicians such as Eric Shumaker, Gavin Harrison, Rob Lynch, Ashton Morris and others to create a fantastic chip music soundtrack for the game - and not forgetting the sound effects too! All audio created with either the original hardware or VST based emulation.
Wii U Specific
- Wii U Leader Boards - compete online against other players from all over the world to earn the best level completion times!
- Multiple controller support: Wii U™ Gamepad, Wii U™ Pro Controller, Wii Remote™, Nunchuk™, Classic Controller™, and Classic Controller Pro™!
- The game can also be played off the television using only the Wii U GamePad.