Forums

Topic: nintendo should charge more for vc games that are rare ("rare downloads")

Posts 281 to 300 of 374

Don

No way! Paying $100 for a copy of something intangible and tied to system account only? And in this economy where the majority of people are poor and broke? Completely greedy and unethical. Something only the one percenters would do. The OP must be one of the one percenters who can afford rare and expensive games and owns several multi million dollar businesses to be so out of touch with the average poor gamers. This idea and concept is capitalism at its finest as an excuse to squeeze more money out of whatever's left of the cash strapped consumers.

Edited on by Don

Don

KingMike

Don wrote:

No way! Paying $100 for a copy of something intangible and tied to system account only?

Someone actually did that, I think.
Wasn't even at least a full game.
That was just to unlock some car, probably in a racing game.

KingMike

Nintenjoe64

I think they should ask for a small donation of whatever you think the game is worth and you don't have to pay if you don't get the retro vibe you were hoping for. They'd blatantly get more hardware sales and I would happily pay £99 for Pilotwings 64 and/or Starwing on VC

I only posted this to get my avatar as the forum's thumbnail.

ogo79

Don wrote:

Completely greedy and unethical.

i do not feel guilty about it at all. thats what it takes to make it. sometimes you have to step on peoples toes and kick them while they are down in this day and time.
only the strong will survive...just like paying a video game

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Ryno

Finally can keep my rare downloads separate from everything else with the new folders!

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

KingMike

But does it include a lock button to keep them in digitally sealed unplayed condition?

KingMike

Althoff

This... this thread is satire, right?

Go Nintendo!

Ryno

Picked up Dracula X on VC for $180.00 last night to match market value. Glad to see the rare downloads program really getting going.

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Klimbatize

Ryno wrote:

Picked up Dracula X on VC for $180.00 last night to match market value. Glad to see the rare downloads program really getting going.

I'm waiting for a promotional price cut. Hoping to download it when it hits the $170 range.

I did just download Whomp 'Em for the NES for $35. Do your best to hide your jealousy.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

Bass_X0

Nintendo should allow users to pay however much they wish for the downloads with the minimum being the game's regular cost.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

Ryno

Klimbatize wrote:

[I'm waiting for a promotional price cut. Hoping to download it when it hits the $170 range.

I did just download Whomp 'Em for the NES for $35. Do your best to hide your jealousy.

As long as you are member of Club @ogo79, you should eventually get that price cut. Just be prepared for him to survey you. I am pretty jealous about Whomp 'Em though! I heard rumors about a Whomp 'EM 25th Anniversary Washington Redskins Edition featuring Dan Snyder so I might wait for that one.

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Klimbatize

Ryno wrote:

Klimbatize wrote:

[I'm waiting for a promotional price cut. Hoping to download it when it hits the $170 range.

As long as you are member of Club @ogo79, you should eventually get that price cut. Just be prepared for him to survey you. I am pretty jealous about Whomp 'Em though! I heard rumors about a Whomp 'EM 25th Anniversary Washington Redskins Edition featuring Dan Snyder so I might wait for that one.

Ugh, you're probably right. That's why I was able to download it at that great price.

Oh well, I'll definitely double dip.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

Darknyht

ogo79 wrote:

for example, i payed 340$ for one of my complete copies of earthbound, so its only fair that nintendo should charge maybe like 100$ for the download.
they can put little samson on virtual console and charge 300$. nwc download for 9000$
it would make me feel better about my purchases.
they can call them "rare downloads" and we can all be collectors! just think about it
operation rare downloads is in full effect.
is this thing on?

I may be late to the party, but part of what makes the physical copies rare and valuable is that they are a scarce commodity. Only so many were produced and no more will be produced. The value is in the limited number versus the number of people that want to own them. Digital products are an unlimited commodity as there are unlimited number of copies of Earthbound on Virtual Console available. Nintendo will never just sell X number of them and then stop, but they are limited in other ways such as being non-transferable.

It being available at $10 will hurt the resell value of the collector's physical edition as some will be satisfied just playing the game, but there will always be those who want a complete collection of SNES carts. But the cost and value of one does not relate to the cost and value of the other. The price of the cart is based on scarcity and nostalgia.

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht

Jazzer94

Darknyht wrote:

ogo79 wrote:

for example, i payed 340$ for one of my complete copies of earthbound, so its only fair that nintendo should charge maybe like 100$ for the download.
they can put little samson on virtual console and charge 300$. nwc download for 9000$
it would make me feel better about my purchases.
they can call them "rare downloads" and we can all be collectors! just think about it
operation rare downloads is in full effect.
is this thing on?

I may be late to the party, but part of what makes the physical copies rare and valuable is that they are a scarce commodity. Only so many were produced and no more will be produced. The value is in the limited number versus the number of people that want to own them. Digital products are an unlimited commodity as there are unlimited number of copies of Earthbound on Virtual Console available. Nintendo will never just sell X number of them and then stop, but they are limited in other ways such as being non-transferable.

It being available at $10 will hurt the resell value of the collector's physical edition as some will be satisfied just playing the game, but there will always be those who want a complete collection of SNES carts. But the cost and value of one does not relate to the cost and value of the other. The price of the cart is based on scarcity and nostalgia.

Fine then limit the amount of downloads available on the e-shop to 1000 WW and charge $150 for each copy.

Edited on by Jazzer94

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

Punished_Boss_84

Althoff wrote:

This... this thread is satire, right?

Not only this but I'm sure someone has said no, no, no, no already.

"They played us like a damn fiddle!" - MGS5
"Finish your mission, prove your loyalty." - MGS3
"We could take a s*** on you from such a height, you'd think God himself has crapped on you!" - GTA: SA
Currently Playing: The Phantom Pain.

3DS Friend Code: 3840-6320-8217

Punished_Boss_84

Bulbousaur wrote:

This nailed it, I have to bookmark it now, I got a chuckle out of that.

Edited on by Punished_Boss_84

"They played us like a damn fiddle!" - MGS5
"Finish your mission, prove your loyalty." - MGS3
"We could take a s*** on you from such a height, you'd think God himself has crapped on you!" - GTA: SA
Currently Playing: The Phantom Pain.

3DS Friend Code: 3840-6320-8217

Dezzy

Congratulations for wanting to make economics even worse than it already is.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

ogo79

Dezzy wrote:

Congratulations for wanting to make economics even worse than it already is.

that part doesnt concern me because its not my problem. if everyone else is doing bad as long as i doesnt get in my way why should i care? as long as people go to work they can afford to download rare games. there are benefits to it as well, the RDP (rare downloads program) teaches responsibility and money management. it appears most people are actually supporting this idea. i just need everyone to get to work. the rare downloads program will depend on it.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

KingMike

I got Whomp 'Em, when it was a $3 game nobody heard of (the best time to buy!). When did that change?

KingMike

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.