Forums

Topic: It's 2013 and Steam has Big Picture..... Why No PC Nintendo Store or Virtual Console on Steam????? Update 6/4!!!

Posts 1 to 20 of 33

Zazzaro703

So the title says it all, why doesn't Nintendo set a trend and allow gamers to purchase their favorite back cataloged games on Steam? I understand they want people to buy their consoles but why not allow PC users a way to legally purchase and play their favorite Nintendo games on steam? Could even put games on the steam workshop so people can optimize and mod their favorite games. It all just makes too much sense so how long until we see something like this? In the end its just more money and sales Nintendo is missing out on. There has got to be a way between Nintendo and Valve to pull this off where everyone, most importantly including gamers, win. Right? Right guys? Guys?

EDIT: Or Nintendo could set up their own PC application where you can purchase and play old Nintendo games on PC. Either way I really do hope one day i can play Nintendo games on my PC with Nintendos approval. You can't tell me nintendo can't figure out a way to build an emulator that plays their 8 and 16 bit games on a PC.

EDIT 2: Look at this Kotaku article published today 6/4/13
http://kotaku.com/redesigning-the-super-nintendo-for-the-21st...

Nintendo could EASILY do the same thing. Offer virtual consoles on PC with games you can purchase and download to your PC AND they could release a new cheap console that uses USB/Flash Drives. If I was Nintendo I'd make ONE new old school console that played all their back catalog (N64 and back.... GameCube and forward Current Consoles only) by using flash and USB drives. It would be perfect because that would be back to cartridges in a sense. Buy these games online and if you want a console you purchase one that comes with a USB you can put your games on to get that old SNES console feel. Basically, take Alejandro Duques idea from the article but make it their own design that incorporated the look/feel of all their consoles and handhelds N64 and back. Brilliant idea by Alejandro I see we are on the same page. I'll admit my thoughts were on PC only but this type of console that played N64 and back with wireless remotes by USB/Flash staying loyal in a sense to the cartridge format they were on originally would be AMAZING and just an ACE move by Nintendo.

Edited on by Zazzaro703

Zazzaro703

Ryno

Or Nintendo can just continue to maintain the value of Nintendo games and their systems by only releasing them on their systems as the only means to play the games legally.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

LzWinky

Or they can give you another reason to buy their own system...

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

DefHalan

Other companies can put their games on Steam if they wish but Nintendo will never put their games on another system, unless god forbid they exit the hardware business.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

skywake

Same reason why the Playstation won't appear on the VC anytime soon.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Zazzaro703

These games were exclusives 15-20 years ago but now are readily available all over the Internet. If they won't partner with Steam then they should release their own PC application and shop. Why ignore a problem when you can profit from it while giving gamers more accessibility to their old titles? Who buys a Wii U strictly to play old Nintendo games? You aren't going to get a consumer to buy your console just to have access to older titles. However I'd be willing to bet some of those people WOULD buy them to play on PC. I plan to get the Wii U this holiday season and even still I'd rather play older games on my PC and have never accessed the shop on my Wii. I'm only talking about their much older games nothing from Wii forward.

Edited on by Zazzaro703

Zazzaro703

DarkLloyd

nintendo's philosophy is never going to allow that its thier console or bust to cut it short.

DarkLloyd

Zazzaro703

DarkLloyd wrote:

nintendo's philosophy is never going to allow that its thier console or bust to cut it short.

I know which is sad, they should trailblaze though with their older titles that are already all over the net. They have nothing to lose putting a bunch of NES & SNES games available for sale on PC.

Imagine that 14 year old who can only own 1 console. They choose the PS4. So in a way Nintendo has no way to advertise to that consumer. However they can access Nintendos older catalog through their family computer, play some older great Nintendo games getting introduced to brand Nintendo maybe generating future AND current sales. Everyone wins. At some point one of the 3 big brands are going to offer older titles on PC. Nintendo is pretty much the only company that takes risks, they should be the ones rewarded for it.

Edited on by Zazzaro703

Zazzaro703

FOREST_RANGER

I don't know. I think releasing the games on Steam will only lessen their brand value and make people less likely to buy Nintendo consoles.

And weren't retro games released on other platforms from companies who used to sell gaming systems?

Formely known as bobbiKat

Nintendo Network ID: F0R35T_R8NG3R

skywake

How about they start by letting me play my Wii U VC titles on my 3DS?

ogo79

skywake wrote:

just take your tv with you

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Ryno

ogo79 wrote:

skywake wrote:

Don't even need the TV.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

MrWalkieTalkie

Zazzaro703 wrote:

These games were exclusives 15-20 years ago but now are readily available all over the Internet.

Illegally. Technically as far as licenses go, they are and still are Nintendo console exclusives because only through Nintendo consoles can someone legally purchase old Nintendo games.

I could go and illegally pirate the new PS3 exclusive God of War on my computer to play but that doesnt make it a multiplatform game.

Edited on by MrWalkieTalkie

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

VOTE WONDER-RED FOR SMASH!!

OptometristLime

Ryno wrote:

Or Nintendo can just continue to maintain the value of Nintendo games and their systems by only releasing them on their systems as the only means to play the games legally.

Check and mate.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

Jaz007

If you will pirate them, them you've probably already done is would do so anyway. They don't care about being honest anyway, so why would they buy them on steam when they can or already have for free. It wouldn't solve any problems.

Jaz007

Geonjaha

Ryno wrote:

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

skywake

Ryno wrote:

ogo79 wrote:

skywake wrote:

Don't even need the TV.

Don't be ridiculous, you know what I mean. You go and buy Super Mario Bros on the Wii and you have to "upgrade" it for the Wii U which is ok. Then they want you to buy it again entirely for the 3DS. Compare that to Steam where they let you play purchased content on any platform you can log in with Steam.

I don't mind paying for the upgrade and I can kinda deal with it being restricted to single consoles. That's ok, I get it, it's a different platform and you don't want me sharing content. It doesn't really impact me. I shouldn't have to pay full price for something I've already paid for but. Is that so crazy?

Neram

Because Virtual Console is a Nintendo service, therefore it is on Nintendo's platforms. It's a service which helps make their platforms distinct, throwing them on other platforms would jeopardize that. End of story.

Neram

3DS Friend Code: 0860-3245-5802 | Nintendo Network ID: Neramclann

Zazzaro703

MrWalkieTalkie wrote:

Zazzaro703 wrote:

These games were exclusives 15-20 years ago but now are readily available all over the Internet.

Illegally. Technically as far as licenses go, they are and still are Nintendo console exclusives because only through Nintendo consoles can someone legally purchase old Nintendo games.

I could go and illegally pirate the new PS3 exclusive God of War on my computer to play but that doesnt make it a multiplatform game.

Exactly, so why not make them legal and sell them on PCs.... The market is already there just needs Nintendo to regulate it.

Zazzaro703

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.