Forums

Topic: VT 2009, TW PGA Tour 10, GS Tennis - Impressions Thread

Posts 61 to 78 of 78

KnucklesSonic8

Nice to hear your thoughts. Thank you for sharing.

KnucklesSonic8

warioswoods

Picked up Tiger Woods today -- haven't played all that much yet, but did try out one course most of the way through, and tried the disc mode. The disc mode actually bored me greatly, but I did enjoy getting to test / experience the motion+ capabilities; maybe I'll get into it later if I give it another go. The golf so far has been pretty enjoyable; swinging feels good, although I usually come up short of full power, so I need to work on the mechanics a bit. The measurement of draw and fade seems pretty spot on -- I haven't played golf in many years, but during the years that I did, I had pretty much the same slicing problem I'm getting here.

Putting (precision) is interesting... I actually think that it is very precise and accurate, but the difficulty is that you can't feel the weight of your putter, which is what normally helps you to mentally gauge the power and momentum you are applying when you swing in real life. Although it is an absurd idea and I'd never want to do so, it would seem that the only way to really feel the putting correctly would be to have your remote attached to a real putter as you swing, or something with the same weighting. Instead, I just have to imagine that I can feel it, and swing with the appropriate speed for the power I am imagining. It's a big shift from playing in the real world, certainly, as even the feel of the tap against the ball in real putting usually gives you a pretty idea of how hard you hit it, before you even look at the ball's movement. If I can manage to fill in all the necessary details mentally, though, I believe I'll slowly master that part of the game, but it will take work.

On a minor note -- the Motion Plus device is much uglier than I'd expected! I've never really used the jackets before, but I may have to start doing so for the one remote that will keep the M+ attached, because, with no covering, that little cube's weird switch, side tabs, legs, etc make the Wii remote -- which normally looks quite clean and streamlined -- awkward and disjointed.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

slambert215

Tiger Woods 10 is fantastic. I definitly recommend the motion plus, it helps your short game a lot. If anyone wants to play online add me as a buddy - my username is Sean215.

Now Playing: Modern Warfare 2 and Mobilized, Tekken 6, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online

I'M BACK!
My codes:
Wii: 4408-9655-3946-7256
Brawl: 2621-2393-5112
Mario Kart: 4725-8357-4711
MoH Heroes 2 and Tiger Woods 10: Sean215

Moai_Head

That side-by-side article has been scrapped - it just will not post no matter what I do, so I'll take the relevant bits and merge them into my Grand Slam Tennis review and you can make your own comparison using it and the Virtua Tennis 2009 review. Sorry!

Moai_Head

warioswoods

After playing a couple more full rounds with of TW, I'm even more impressed; this is certainly the most engrossing golf game I've ever tried, and it has me actually working hard on my form so that I can get the power necessary on drives while still keeping the club face forward and not slicing. As slambert215 just noted, it is also wonderfully responsive on the short game -- I just had a perfect chip-in a few minutes ago and it was all based on the feel, rather than watching a power meter and / or trying to hit some mark based on timing, which is all that older golf games really offered.

Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

warioswoods

I'm also surprised to see that Tiger Wooods 10 is now at #9 on the top-rated Wii games on Metacritic. Now, I've voiced my opinions concerning the tremendous limitations of Metacritic before, but that is still pretty impressive -- it's the only sports simulation anywhere in the top 20 (Punch Out!! is at #11, but that's not simulation, it's a sport-based arcade game).

retired_account

Damn, I need to try Tiger Woods some time.

@Moai+Head: When do we get the reviews? I've already purchased GST (and love it, it's probably my favorite Wii game), but I'd still like to see the scores.

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

luke17

i'm completely torn between virtua tennis and grand slam tennis. Previously I tried Topspin 3 and absolutely hated it! Grand Slam Tennis is for rent, but I cant find virtua tennis....siiiigh

luke17

KnucklesSonic8

@Moai Head: That's too bad... I really hope comparisons between it and Virtua Tennis 2009 are very clear since there are VERY few thoughts on VT 2009.

KnucklesSonic8

Rocky

Absolutely love the disc golf on TW. I can't believe how realistic the VM+ controls are with the disc. My only minor complaint is that I've played about 8 rounds and no high scores are saved for the disc golf and the only way to unlock the extra courses for disc golf is to play the actual golf game. I wish I could use my regular TW character on the disc golf course and save my high scores. The regular golf game is great, too, but I'm so hooked on the disc golf, I can't pull myself away to play the regular game. Well, that and when I do play the regular game I end up 30 strokes over par and in the disc golf game I finish a few "strokes" under par.

Rocky

Chatham

@Rocky
I've been having this issue too, but once you realize how precise the controls and measurement are on screen golfing becomes really easy, I can Eagle or Birdie most holes now thanks to M+ and "Precision Putting".

Disc Golf is just still too fun though. You know you can do a discus throw style and the disc REALLY flies!?! I'm talking 200yrds! I also underhand it when I'm feet from the basket. So fun how you really can add your own style to your throw.

Edited on by Chatham

Email: mallrat425@hotmail.com
PSN N...

KnucklesSonic8

I was torn but now I've decided that I'll be getting Grand Slam Tennis after all the good things I've been hearing and finally juggling between good and bad impressions. I'll be fine with the learning curve and whatnot since as most know I'm patient with games and I don't give up on things easily and online looks like GREAT fun and that's what I'm looking for.

KnucklesSonic8

ASDFGHJKL

I have been playin tiger woods and it is amazing. It has TONS of content,perfect controls with WM+, and great online and local multiplayer. Best sports game I have played in my opinion. Havent played that many though. 10/10

ASDFGHJKL

KnucklesSonic8

I can't wait to get it. I'm really pumped but I still gotta get TW PGA Tour 10 first. Dying to get that. I may have to wait for a price drop on GS Tennis (it's $54.99 and in some places, $59.99 here in Canada so...)

And now I'll never forget that whole Knucklehead joke. I bet seeing my avatar what it is now doesn't help.

Edited on by KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8

Watchful_Eye

Some Impressions on VT09 after around 5 hours playing:

• The fast-paced and action-orientated gameplay is really fun, there are tons of options and modes to play
  • The controls are decent, but sometimes you really wonder about wierd interpretations of your movements; Slices and Dropshots are very hard to do regularly (maybe that changes if I play longer).
  • There are some framerates issues here and there - in most games it doesnt really disturb, but from times to times it was really annoying.
  • The public Online Mode does not work outside of the world tour - nobody is online.
  • One time when I went into training mode in the world tour, my player suddenly looked like Boris Becker and it didnt change until I left the World Tour Mode and joined it again.

-> The gameplay itself is really fun, but the hole game feels kinda unperfect and had needed a lot more "fine tuning".
Im slightly disappointed and would rate it with a 7.

Edited on by Watchful_Eye

Watchful_Eye

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.