Forums

Topic: VT 2009, TW PGA Tour 10, GS Tennis - Impressions Thread

Posts 21 to 40 of 77

Adam

I know they have multiple modes of play. I've played the first Wii Sports. But are you saying Disc Golf is confirmed to be in, or are you just assuming? If it's confirmed, could you link me to where you learned this, please? It would make my decision a lot easier.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

KnucklesSonic8

IGN confirms it in their recent hands-on with. They even dub it as being "tighter" than disk Golf in TW PGA Tour 10. That alone should help you decide straight away! It's clear that for your situation that WS Resort is the winner.

Then we jumped into Frisbee mode. We skipped the dog catch mode in favor of the full Frisbee Golf option. We love the Disc Mode in the upcoming Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2010, but it's clear that the version in Wii Sports Resort is much tighter with better disk handling and more attention paid to the physics of the throw. You can play a short three hole game or take part in a whole 18 hole course, with multiple courses available to take part in.

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/990/990213p1.html

Other sites such as Pure Nintendo confirm it as well.

The last game I will describe is Frisbee Golf. This game will most likely be the hardest to master. The one-to-one movements are nice, but you have to really get into the mindset that you are playing with a Frisbee. It took me a while to get there. You have the choice of three Frisbees that each differs in distance they can fly. Once you have selected your Frisbee you swing your arms to the side, press Z while swinging forward, and let go of Z to send your Frisbee sailing through the air. It isn’t too complicated, but you have to watch how hard your throwing, which direction you let it fly, and how much lift you will give your Frisbee.

Edited on by KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8

warioswoods

I'd love to see some screenshots or footage of the golf game in WSResort, in order to make a decision on Tiger Woods. I might like having one fully fleshed-out golf game that uses Motion+ and has many courses and modes, but if the WSResort version is very well put together and deeper than the one in the original Wii Sports, I might pass on Tiger. Hard decision to make, since Adam is likely correct that, if I'm intending to try this with my grandfather, the EA game might have too much complication in the controls and setup.

I look forward to detailed Tiger Woods reviews. I can't really find much online yet.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

Adam

You da man, Knuckles. Thanks!

Wario, the quoted text Knuckles offered us said Disc Golf would have 18 holes and multiples courses. If they are doing that for Disc Golf, which is just one mode for the Disc sport, then they'll certainly do the same for Golf, I would assume. Otherwise, I see little reason to include it when Wii Sports already has the sport covered.

If you want to see it in action, you seem to have seen the only video I know of that shows it. Take your eyes off of the jean skirt girl this time if you can manage because it doesn't show much. I struggled, too.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Edwicket

As far as GST vs. VT goes, the thing I'm most concerned with is which one's WMP implementation is the most like a real tennis racquet. Let me know what you think.

Edwicket

retired_account

My current concern with GST is the delay. I have a feeling VT09 will have real time motions.

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

warioswoods

Since we still have no real impressions from owners of the new games, I'm going to paste in some messages from that wonderful internet service that frightens and confuses Adam, Twitter, concerning Tiger Woods 10.

"Tiger Woods with the Wii MotionPlus is actually awesome! Should've been like this from the start, but sweet. Loads better than Wii Sports."

"Tiger woods 10... W/ the new wii remote. Sooo dope!! So real, I suck just as bad at it as the real thing lol"

And a quick but fairly informative review helpfully linked from Twitter: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/controller-freak/it-does...

Thanks, Tweeters.

Edited on by warioswoods

Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

LinktotheFuture

I have been playing Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Tennis. Both are great. For me it is easier to tell the difference with Wii Motion Plus on Tiger Woods, but Grand Slam Tennis is awesome, just very difficult. I need to keep practicing. I would recommend both games to anyone.

The chickens are restless.
3DS Friend Code: 1547-5282-6926

KnucklesSonic8

Can't wait to hear more impressions from people.

KnucklesSonic8

retired_account

Sweet, we have a Best Buy coupon that activates on Friday. I'll see you guys online then! And Friday is too long away.

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

KnucklesSonic8

Usually I'm not a fan of IGN's reviews but it was actually a good review! It just further convinced me that it isn't IF I should get this anymore. Coming in at a bundle price of $69.99 here in Canada is very appealing also. I can't wait to get it now. It convinced me that the game really is an incredible value for what's on offer. It really helped me. Now I'm gonna have a bit of a hard time when I go the store.

Oh and I've been hearing elsewhere about lag in VT 2009 but nothing's confirmed yet. I hope someone comes here and lets us know how online is... or lets us in on how VT 2009 is period.

KnucklesSonic8

y2josh

I posted my thoughts this far in the Woot! GS Tour Reviews post forum topic

y2josh

Atlantis1982

I am really liking it so far. Unfortunately, putting is a bit wonky, but at least you can just TAP THE DANG BALL in the hole that is inches away.

For those that wonder if you can just use one Wii-Mote, you can, and I was really happy to see that.

Edited on by Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982

LinktotheFuture

I haven't noticed a lag in Grand Slam tennis. I have a HDTV with component cables, maybe that makes a difference?

warioswoods

@Atlantis1982
Thanks for the confirmation of one-Wiimote for two players, that was crucial for me. I've only heard good things about the putting, but you say that it still takes some getting used to?

On a related note, all the reviews I've found online for Tiger Woods 10 w/ M+ have been extremely favorable; I'd say that this game stands a good chance of being the highest rated golf game of all time.

Moai_Head

Just letting you know I'm taking an extra day for the side-by-side article to test online play. So far they're almost even

@LinktotheFuture - I've noticed some visual lag with Grand Slam Tennis in regards to it animating your movements on screen and I'm quite sure it's a game-specific issue that has nothing to do with your cables/ It doesn't really affect gameplay at all, as far as I can tell - your swings/shots are all in time, they're just a split second in front of the player model's actions. It's most noticeable during multiplayer. No biggie.

Edited on by Moai_Head

Moai_Head

nintendan

i played both games yesterday (GST and TW) with WM+. it works great but the learning curve is very high. a lot of people are complaing, but i love it. makes the games much more challenging and enjoyable. ive spent most of my time with GST. it took me about 2 hours to get the hang of it. it was a bit frustrating at first, losing on easy. but after about two hours, i can win consistently on medium difficulty. people online really suck, guess they haven't practiced much before going online. im already ranked in the top 100 in the world. ill spend more time with TW tonight.

nintendan

LinktotheFuture

@nintendan--I agree, both games are difficult, but that means they are more realistic. Golf and tennis are difficult in real life.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.