Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 10,401 to 10,420 of 15,201

Octane

@Tsurii I know how the horses work, I'm familiar with the mechanic, but they sometimes still run into trees or walls. And as you said, you miss a lot of stuff.

Octane

FGPackers

How much time did you guys take to reach Kakariko?

Do i need gems and this kind of things or should i sell them?

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

penny2coles

Hello All! Really excited to join the community here. I was lucky enough to get a Switch on launch day.

Admittedly, I was never a fan of Zelda or open RPG games, but wanted to give it a shot.

With work and life happening I finally had a chance to play last night..and I was enjoying it.

As someone who isn't a fan of the franchise..I just had some questions.

I know this is truly an open world game..I am used to linear type stuff. Is there a right or wrong way to play? Do you kind of just explore and play as you go? I guess my real question is how does the story advance?

Second question is about gameplay. When I first started playing I had objectives in my map..those have since disappeared. I feel kind of lost.

Lastly, I've picked up two bows and arrows, yet when I draw my bow I don't shoot anything and get like a "clunk" type sound. I find myself running for my life with no weapons far too often.

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated..thanks for your time and I look forward to contributing here in the future!

penny2coles

gcunit

@penny2coles This game is at its best when you just do what you feel like doing. And when you feel like advancing the story, check your Adventure Log (accessed via the Inventory screen - press + and then L). You can press A on any items in your adventure log and it will set a destination for you in your map.

@FGPackers I'm more than 20hrs in and have been to Kakariko a few times. I'm still selling every fancy stone I find because I haven't found another use for them... yet.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Eel

With some luck my copy of the game will be here today.

These are the things I have spoiled for me (sometimes by accident):

*The old man is the king (such shock much unexpected wow old meme).
*Ganon ate Zelda. Because why not.
*The blue scarf guys are apparently all dead, it happened in the past and you can somehow get their ghostly habilities (saw someone randomly summoning the rito to gain height).
*The main dungeons are four mechanical beasts that were once commanded by the scarf squad. I haven't seen any of them though.
*There's giant horses. One of them looks like 'Dorf's.
*There's a little girl that is actually an old lady who deaged herself a bit too much by accident and she gives you runes and stuff.
*Most of what's in the plateau.
*About 20 korok locations, one random song puzzle and about 6 shrines.

Am I correct in assuming that is basically nothing and there's still a ton for me to discover on my own, right? Or did I spoil too much?

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Octane

@penny2coles Like gcunit said, open your inventory and scroll to the left, from there you can select main quests, side quests and other types of quests. There will always be at least one main objective, but in a way, yes, you're free to go wherever you please. Just look for a high point, pick an interesting spot and go there. It's all about exploring. Of course, you could just stick to the main quests if you're a bit lost.

As for the arrows, draw you bow by pressing the right trigger and you can select your arrow type with the ''left'' button. You can also select the type of arrows by opening you inventory. Maybe you're out of arrows?

@gcunit You might regret that

@Meowpheel Those are some pretty big spoilers. I didn't know of them when I started the game. I think there's still enough left for you to discover. Just avoid the internet till tomorrow

Octane

TheXReturns

@Meowpheel That's kinda some of the story spoiled, but this game thrives off world discovery.

The central tower is a prime example, just experiencing what's there for yourself is a fantastic, yet slightly stressful experience. Or experiencing the hell that is one of the islands (I can't remember where it is exactly, I think it's somewhere in the south-east. If you've attempted it, you'll know what I mean.)

I wouldn't actually count anything that you've said as major spoilers barring the Ganon spoiler.
The rest you could probably see in the first three hours, albeit at a push for the 5th one down.

Edited on by TheXReturns

A puzzle solved is its own reward.

My Nintendo: TheXReturns | Nintendo Network ID: TheXReturns

Eel

To be fair I got most of the story spoilers by watching someone play the first hour or so of the game

Including the Ganon thing.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

JoyBoy

Pls tell me there's a place you can store equipment...

I really like the horses. I can't beat certain enemies without them lol.
I was just fighting a giant dude on a horse while taming it... Pretty epic fight.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

FGPackers

@Octane Did not write good the question. How much time (hours) did you spend before reaching for the first time Kakariko?

And you? @gcunit

Thanks for the answer about gems. I think for now i'll save them until i discover an actual use or until i need big money

Tonight i'll play more after i return from university

FGPackers

TuVictus

Finding the guardians weakness is so satisfying. With their stupid laser beans

TuVictus

ProjectX1991

@FGPackers about an hour/an hour and a half. I went straight to the duelling peaks after meeting the king.

ProjectX1991

FGPackers

@ProjectX1991 LOL i did again in the wrong way the question. How much time did you spend overall, non the trip only. I mean all gameplay. Did you guys reach it after 5, 10, 15, 20 hrs?

FGPackers

Octane

@Spanjard There is, but it is veryyy limited.

@FGPackers Uhh.. I think I messed around for about two or three hours on the Great Plateau, did a tower on my way to Kakariko, so I guess about four hours.

Octane

TuVictus

I absolutely love the cutscene memory sequences. THAT is what I wanted when I got the game. It adds more depth to the giant world and I really love the little nods to other games that Zelda has mentioned so far

TuVictus

zitpig

FGPackers wrote:

@ProjectX1991 LOL i did again in the wrong way the question. How much time did you spend overall, non the trip only. I mean all gameplay. Did you guys reach it after 5, 10, 15, 20 hrs?

The thing is you can go there from the start of the game in about an hour if you ignore everything else (other than the first four shrines as you need to beat them before you can leave the plateau - well, not really, but you won;t get far without the tools they give you). If you want to explore it could take forever. There is no standard timescale. Take it as fast or slow as you want.

Edited on by zitpig

zitpig

gcunit

@FGPackers I don't know my hours, but I would guess somewhere between 10 and 20. I didn't get off the plateau for a good while, due to combo of just loving it in the woods and exploring, and having trouble catching the thing you need to catch to get the thing to enable exploring colder areas. Then when I did get off, I went on a major hiking binge and spent time bonding with my horse, Eric. I wasn't in any rush to get to the place in question.

@Octane - I kinda figured I would regret flogging them, but I wanted to make some sartorial purchases and I've not found a better way of financing that yet.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Ralizah

@DiscoGentleman There are ways of cheesing them, but yeah, they can be pretty nasty customers. The best method I've found for dealing with them is to get in close and abuse flurry rush, since their attacks are fairly predictable.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

FGPackers

Did all i could in Kakariko. Bought the Hylia set and boost it all to 1 star with the Great Fairy near Kakariko. Did the 8th Shrine (the one near it) and bought first Hearth inside the village. Met Impa and watched the cut-scene and did all cooking quests but last. Missing honey. Now i'm going to explore West Necluda as much as i can before going to the research village to repair the Sheikah Slate. While exploring i escaped my first Guardian, with actual gear and stats i don't have a chance! Beated another rock boss, like the one in the Plateau, that gave me other gems. I think soon i'll sell some to get the stealth set. Do you recommend it for assaulting camps and hunting?

Now a little advice for exploration if any of you want to hear it: i recommend to reach as much high places as you can so you can put stamps on map to save important places that are far or you can't reach in that moment. It's a really good strategy for exploration

FGPackers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic