Forums

Topic: What is your one most overrated and one most underrated games you've ever played?

Posts 141 to 160 of 232

Snatcher

@Snaplocket I kinda feel like unless the game is near perfect they can't injoy the game. so they give it 5/10's

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

KingMike

Dezzy wrote:

Well Bloodborne and Sekiro definitely lean more towards action than Dark Souls/Demon's Souls do. That's true. But I still fundamentally view all of these games as being driven by loot, character building, and strategy, just as much as action. Dark Souls 1 especially is designed so you're supposed to die on your first attempt at most bosses (and many areas too). It does consciously undermine the purely skill-based approach to gameplay. If you start the game as a Knight class, you even start with your character over-encumbered so you can't move quickly, to really drive home the point that it's not supposed to be about skill.

I've only watched Dark Souls, hadn't yet played. So maybe I'm misunderstanding.
But I don't see how a game that doesn't hand out wins on the first try isn't a "skill" game.
Isn't it a "skill" game if it wants you to really learn the enemies and stuff?
I'm only assuming if it was a truly terribly-designed game, it wouldn't be played by many except the cult communities of people who enjoy terrible games.

Now Enix America might've broken a few games in localization (especially 7th Saga),
but I look at SoulBlazer. To my memory, most or all of the Japanese bosses could simply be mashed to death. The English version bosses were buffed to at least require a tactical effort.
Or is it wrong if a game requires more "skill" than knowing how to mash the attack button?

KingMike

Dezzy

KingMike wrote:

I've only watched Dark Souls, hadn't yet played. So maybe I'm misunderstanding.
But I don't see how a game that doesn't hand out wins on the first try isn't a "skill" game.
Isn't it a "skill" game if it wants you to really learn the enemies and stuff?
I'm only assuming if it was a truly terribly-designed game, it wouldn't be played by many except the cult communities of people who enjoy terrible games.

Well obviously you can just define everything as being some kind of "skill" if you want to get into semantics. I mean skill as opposed to strategy, and as opposed to character building and loot hunting.

I simply mean that on your first playthrough (especially), having the right equipment, and figuring out the weaknesses of bosses will generally get you further than simply being good at action games will.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NintendoByNature

I always get worried posting stuff like this since I'm sure people will be upset, but here goes anyway lol...

Underrated: the Guacamelee duo. I'd say they're 2 of the very best action platformer/metroidvania games on switch. I know they review well, but you don't hear people talking about them nearly as much as Celeste, hollow knight, shovel knight etc. If you haven't yet, go play em!

Overrated: monster hunter rise. Did I enjoy my time with it? I guess.. maybe a little bit. The first 4-5hrs were a nice change of pace for me being my first MH game. But then shortly after I just wanted it to end. I know it gets glowing reviews everywhere and I'm all for that, I just don't think the game is for me. I'm glad I tried it though.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Losermagnet

@Ralizah i totally get Bloodborne being overrated. I finished it a couple months back and, while I enjoyed my time with it, I couldn't comprehend the amount of praise it's received. I went in expecting at least a Dark Souls level of storytelling, and I didn't get that. And I s'pose I prefer the slow tension in Dark Souls' combat to the mad flailing I did in Bloodborne.

For underrated......I dunno. Donkey Kong on the gameboy maybe? It's an awesome game and I think it's much better than either of the Mario Land games.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

jump

@Losermagnet Yeah Game Boy Donkey Kong was legit great, I'm surprised it doesn't get talked about more. It appears to be just the arcade game or just a slight remix of the stages but it's surprising inventive. Thinking about I may get out my 3DS to have a go on it again.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

MarioVillager92

@NintendoByNature I never got into Monster Hunter either. I tried a couple of the MH games and while I do see the appeal, it's not quite my cup of tea. Part of the reason why is because a lot of the weapons have a lengthy wind-up time for connecting your attacks to the monsters you face. The controls in general felt too...heavy for me, as well.

@Losermagnet Donkey Kong is probably my favorite game on the original Game Boy. I liked Mario vs. Donkey Kong on the GBA as well, would love to see another game like this over another one of those Mini Mario games.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

NintendoByNature

@MarioLover92 for sure. It kind of felt like a slog getting thru it. It wasn't bad, it just isn't something I'll ever revisit

NintendoByNature

Ferdinand_Von_Aegir

OVERRATED: Mario Odyssey. Okay hear me out, everyone always talks about how big and cool Mario Odysseys world is. But each of the kingdoms more or less can be described as: go from point A to point B but with some weird and wacky characters in between all of the stuff and a bunch of really easy moons to get to give the allusion of progression even though it is just the same, not that fun gameplay loop until you beat the 5 hour long main story and than just grind 9999 coins so than you can buy a bunch of moons to get to the darker side of the moon. That core game play loop is even less fun than the main game! Plus there are 999 moons in the game and that is way to much.

Fire Emblem Three Houses is my favorite game
Ashe is the best character in FE:3H
Waluigi For Smash
The game I want most on switch is a new WarioWare (Welp. we got that!)
My favorite movie is Toy Story 3

Switch Friend Code: SW-0370-6056-2926 | 3DS Friend Code: 3755-1656-4298 | My Nintendo: LatsaSpege

WWENATION4

@Snatcher I honestly see why some people think it's overrated coming from a fan of Smash's standpoint. If your reason is for example "too hard" or anything along the lines of that then that's understandable to me. But if you come up with something that's ***** like "i don't like this game because people are better than me" or "i don't like this game because i lose a lot" then i just can't accept those two reasons i mentioned above.

WWENATION4

Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

I-U

Overrated: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Metacritic Score: 92, User Score: 8.8/10)
If you're not curious about experiencing some of this game's bosses firsthand, I wouldn't recommend playing through Echoes. I can't recall if I've beaten Echoes twice, but I do know that my main motivation my first playthrough was to get to Quadraxis. I felt that if I just got to that boss battle, I would enjoy the experience enough and be close enough to the end that I would finally beat the game. Navigating around and between Aether and Dark Aether felt like a chore to get through. It felt too complex for its map system. Echoes is the only Metroid game that I have yet to enjoy exploring.

Underrated: Metroid Prime: Federation Force (Metacritic Score: 64, User Score: 5.5/10)
Having owned the Samus and Zero Suit Samus amiibo well before the release of Federation Force, I decided to take advantage of their Paint Job unlocks early on in my first run of Federation Force. It didn't take long for me to realize that playing alone would be the best way to experience the missions across the Bermuda System. I had the engrossing atmosphere and enjoyable, rewarding exploration that I expect when playing a Metroid game. I was unlocking the full catalog of MODs quicker, not having to split them up with other players, and the MOD system in Federation Force I would argue is the best upgrade system in the Metroid Series.

The lore for this game made me feel very powerful once it established the scale of the standard Space Pirate grunt as being as large as the Omega Pirate, the boss from depths of the Phazon Mines in Metroid Prime. Any threat in the Bermuda System bigger than those Space Pirates ended up feeling very satisfying to take out. I love having "Kraid" bosses in Metroid games as well that throw difficulty out the window if you have the right weapon and are efficient in your timing. The game's first mission has one such boss with the Ice Hopper Nest and around the mid-point of the game there's the Rohkor Beetle which becomes a "Kraid" boss when the player has closer to a completed MOD selection. There's always some challenge with these kind of bosses first go around, but when the player is more experienced I definitely prefer being able to dominate a large boss quickly as opposed to still being challenged. This isn't for every boss, 2-3 is fine, and it is the most satisfying if it's a large threat like Kraid.

I would argue Federation Force's single player has the best replay value when compared to nearly every single player experience found in the rest of the Metroid series. This is due to the extent of the MOD system and the equipment options the player has before each mission deployment. Each time the player unlocks a MOD slot or gets a new MOD for their arsenal, their options expand. Even progression MODs, i.e. Payload Density I, II and III, at their first tier still serve a purpose even once the player gains the next tier. MODs can break, so does the player risk the newer, better MOD for the sake of more effectiveness in a mission or continue to use the weaker MOD until they have more stock of the better MOD or possibly save the better MOD for an obvious boss mission. In general, I found myself thinking over what I planned to do in Federation Force often and that's rare whenever I play a Metroid game.

Federation Force has a lot to offer. Personally, Federation Force may be second only to my favorite Metroid game. I think I've enjoyed the game just a little more than Super Metroid. The game doesn't deserve its low ratings, but I could agree that its timing and marketing do deserve low marks. Hopefully, maybe after Prime 4 releases, more fans will grab their amiibo and spend some time with this amazing game.

Edited on by I-U

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Offolsense

This is such a cool thread!
To be honest I think there is always something to appreciate in games, and sometimes they get overlooked.

I don't like to say things are overrated, so I won't

But there are several games that I feel some people are dismissive of that are very fun, or great games.

Here are 3:

Metroid Other M

One of the closest things on the Wii to a true AAA big-budget game.
The anime-like story did bring it down a little but it wasn't any worse than most Metal Gear Solid games.
But the game itself? The Music is awesome and matches the atmosphere, the concept was perfect for Metroid, great attention to making the combat fun and fluid, and to me it is the only true 3d successor to what the 2D games do.
Prime is good but the focus is very different than the fast-paces 2d Games.

And another Metroid game, Metroid Prime: Hunters on the DS

Again, fast paced, but the multiplayer was so much fun. I honestly think if it had been released on console and treated like a competitive game, we would have a sequel to it by now.
Not that they didn't do it right. The online multiplayer was state of the art for a DS launch game.
But not many played it.

Lastly, Harvest Moon DS

Even among Harvest Moon fans, I don't think this one saw many players.
But to me, it's still the best in the series.
It takes the great things people love about FOMT and adds so much.
You can tell so much effort and care went in to making a deep world to explore.
Hidden secrets and so many random events to encounter! And the music and atmosphere was not as happy and upbeat as some of the others, which to me made it a pretty unique experience.
Love the game, too bad about the glitch that stops your progress at year 2! lol

Offolsense

Tyranexx

@Offolsense Totally agree on Other M. Some of the online complaints are valid, but the internet does like to make mountains out of molehills. Yeah, the story could be better, but it isn't bad. Yes, the bad points do need work, but I didn't find the whole thing to be terrible. If anything, I just wish more of the side characters like Anthony had more character development. I do also agree that upgrades could've been handled better outside of "authorization". Once things start to open up more, the exploration really does feel like a Metroid game. Some of the music is really good, the visuals are pretty decent for a Wii game, and the boss fights are, for the most part, fun and engaging. I bought the game dirt cheap off of Amazon ~3 years ago brand new for about $6-7 USD. With my experience, I would've been happy if I'd paid 3x that amount.

You also mentioned Metroid Prime: Hunters. I haven't played that one, but I've been debating about grabbing it on the Wii U VC just to see what I'm missing. True, no multiplayer there, but it's something I can live without. As I've played all the other Prime games (Well, minus Federation Force, but I've avoided that one more out of having nobody to play it with), it's almost a travesty that I haven't touched this one.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Offolsense

@Tyranexx
Dude, same here! I feel like so much care went in to Other M, I really hate to see people dismiss it.

I hate to say it about Hunters, because I love it, but the multiplayer really is a huge part of the experience. The single player is strong but short. You might be a little underwhelmed......
I've even explored online to see if there are people emulating multiplayer on PC, but unfortunately it seems like I'll never really get the chance to play it proper again. Used to play with a few friends locally but don't live near anymore.

Closest thing to it would be other arena-style shooters like Quake. One of these days I'll give the newest Quake a try

And I've also yet to play Federation Force... But I hear good things. Someone here mentioned it as their most underrated game even!
Edit: Lol, it was the guy right above my post

Edited on by Offolsense

Offolsense

Tyranexx

@Offolsense I think I'm willing to chance the single player in Metroid Prime: Hunters since I'd be in it more for the story than anything else. Though it does surprise me that Nintendo didn't allow a form of multiplayer with it and other DS Wii U eShop releases.

As for Federation Force, even with all the backlash (Which seemed way overblown IMO), I was thinking of grabbing it at first. But then...I played Tri Force Heroes. The single player was clearly an afterthought in that game and was more frustrating than fun. I was worried FF, with its similar multiplayer focus, would deliver similar results.

Love your username by the way. While I feel Diabolical Box had a couple of points stretched when it came to the plot, it was still a nice adventure with a touching ending.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

NinChocolate

Overrated: Sonic 2
Underrated: Sonic 3D Blast!

NinChocolate

I-U

@Tyranexx If you have either of the current armored Samus amiibo and have a way to scan amiibo on a 3DS system, I would highly recommend giving Metroid Prime: Federation Force's single player a shot. The game gives you a MOD from the beginning called Lone Wolf which doubles the damage you do and halves the damage done by enemies. You also have up to three Assault Drones if you would like to help distribute damage further, and they become very useful in missions that involve extracting an artifact or transporting cargo. There is a point bonus for not using the Lone Wolf MOD in single player as well once you're more comfortable with the game's mechanics and you may need that extra bonus to earn all 3 medals for certain missions. There's plenty of risk vs. reward within the game that I think many players would appreciate. The game's co-op can be fun, but I wouldn't recommend the multiplayer as the way to experience Federation Force.

Metroid Prime Hunters can be a fun time even without its online multiplayer being available. The main hurdle the game has is its controls. Some players have been able to adjust and enjoy them, while other players weren't able to get comfortable with them. Left handed players in general could have more of a problem trying to get the hang of the game's controls. I was able to get through the game with its stylus controls after getting use to the Wii U GamePad's size and resting most of the weight on my thigh. Having the top screen display on the TV and the touch screen display on the GamePad screen is the way I would recommend playing. You're not getting the experience of battling other players anymore, but I would still suggest giving the multiplayer modes a spin on occasion while playing through the single player adventure. You're able to play them with up to 3 computers with 3 difficulty settings. When I first played the game on the Nintendo DS, that's where I started so that I could develop a feel for the controls. If you do decide to pick up the game, I do hope you enjoy the experience.

Edited on by I-U

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Tyranexx

@I-U While I have a way to scan Amiibo for 3DS, I unfortunately don't have either Samus figure you mentioned. Still, with how you describe it above, Federation Force sounds like a fun yet overlooked game. While I understand some of its negative reception when it was revealed - it wasn't what people wanted - I've always disagreed with how intense that backlash was.

With Hunters, I might have an issue with the controls; I am left-handed. Though it sounds like I could adapt (as is usually the case in these situations lol). Split screen does sound like the way to go with DS titles on Wii U. I've played plenty of VC games on my unit, but none in the DS family. At least it appears multiplayer is still available with the computer. For some reason, I was under the impression it was disabled completely.

Thanks for the input! You're helping to sway me off the fence.

Offolsense

@Tyranexx
Bro! You got it!
Love to see a Professor Layton fan.
Speaking of underrated!

Offolsense

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic