Forums

Topic: NES Classic Edition

Posts 441 to 460 of 485

Xyphon22

I bought a third-party extra controller with 2 extension cables from Walmart for less than $20 last time, and it works great, if anyone wants an easy and cheap way to get everything. The controller feels different than the official one, but it works fine.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

DarthNocturnal

@ThanosReXXX

Most retailers seemed to jump the gun on controllers. Which sucks; I could've nabbed one on Amazon.ca, but I was trying to get one from Best Buy with the help of a relative and in-store pickup. Sadly, they (the employees) couldn't find any, and were wondering why it was even listed as available in the first place. Amazon was sold out by then.

EB Games had them today though... before I woke up. Like, yeesh. Gimme a proper opportunity why don't ya?

Already got my extension cables, since I needed them for my SNES Classic.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Gamecubed

I have my extension cables as well that I bought for my Classic SNES. Got a third party controller as well. Feels good enough and it's close enough to the actual thing. I think it's good enough for Player 2 ;P
Odd they didn't opt to pack-in the extra controller on this reprint. Best Buy Canada has been sporadically dropping 1 or 2 controllers for sale on their website for the last 24 hours. Every time I almost had one, it slipped away. Gave up.

Now, we wait for the N64 Classic that Nintendo needs to release for the good of humanity. I feel like finding extra controllers for that will be even more chaotic.

@NintendoPete For me, the issue with buying from Amazon Germany (or Spain/UK/France/etc.) is after shipping and exchange rates, the total will be close to $32 Canadian. I'm cheap, and I don't want to spend $32 on an otherwise $13 item lol. It is still cheaper than buying from resellers though.

Gamecubed

Silly_G

@MegaTen : Considering that we live in an age of large flatscreen and/or wall-mounted TVs, it is stupidly shortsighted of Nintendo to have not considered this in the design of the Classic Mini consoles (whether that entailed a wireless controller or a longer cable).

An affiliate link to a Link in need is an affiliate Link indeed.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal I have the cables for my SNES as well, and also a mains adapter for the USB cable, but I want to keep each set up separate, so I'm going to get the same additions for my NES Mini as well. It's easier if each set has its own cables.

@Silly_G I think that for most people that want this because of true "retro reasons", the cabled controllers are actually part of it, because that is how it was, and to correctly relive that moment, we can't go using wireless controllers. It's all part of that retro charm...

Much like the in my opinion rather irrelevant demand that the Minis should have some kind of internet connection and eShop, which is also not the point of these devices.

I do agree on the ridiculously short cables, though. Cheap as they may be, we should not have to pay for extension cables ourselves. The package should have been complete as is.

But having said that, I think that a possible reason why the cables are so short on both the NES and SNES Mini, may also be because of a true retro feel: either sitting on the ground, in front of your TV, or at least being real close to the TV, like so many kids did, back in the day, and that was also what you saw in many add campaigns in magazines and on TV.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

DarthNocturnal

They wanted the reset button to be in reach. And/ or they're being cheap.

I wouldn't have been opposed to a Home button. Or even a button combination. Like some 8bitdo controllers apparently have.

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal I modded my SNES Mini, and will do the same to the NES Mini. That gives you a button combo reset by default.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Illusion

In my mancave, my gaming chair is a couple feet away from my NES classic and 36in 720p LCD.
When I drag it out into the main living room, I play on the floor in front of the 65in HDR for the classic feel-sugary snacks and drink included. My TVs got bigger and sharper though, but that's what CRT mode is for. 😁

Illusion

NintendoPete

Gamecubed wrote:

@NintendoPete For me, the issue with buying from Amazon Germany (or Spain/UK/France/etc.) is after shipping and exchange rates, the total will be close to $32 Canadian. I'm cheap, and I don't want to spend $32 on an otherwise $13 item lol. It is still cheaper than buying from resellers though.

I see - in that case I would probably wait just like you. Wish you luck!

NintendoPete

DarthNocturnal

Huh... it's like every Canadian retailer has been able to keep it in stock online for an hour or two (or more) when putting it up for sale for the first time. I think this was even better then SNES Classic.

Kinda gives me hope that any future Classics won't be nearly as difficult to acquire. Surely Nintendo are watching the numbers.

Ryu_Niiyama

Got two! One online and the second I went to GS physically and was third in line. GS locked down my online purchase so I couldnt cancel. I don't believe in scalping so I'm just giving it to some friends (Brothers and they live in the same house...and run a game store) as a thank you for helping me get my games out of storage.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NESlover85

Woohoo! I finally got an extra controller!

In the year of 198X, a super gamer named NESlover85 was created...

3DS Friend Code: 4940-6777-7430 | Nintendo Network ID: NESlover85

Silly_G

@ThanosReXXX : The whole "sitting in front of the TV" argument doesn't really fly because it is no longer necessary (or practical) to do so given the general nature of TVs nowadays, most of which are jumbo sized and/or wall-mounted, so it would be quite unusual for somebody to sit so close to the television given that sitting from a distance would result in a better and more comfortable viewing experience (plus my neck would hurt from having to look up at such a large TV if I were to play with the NES Mini with the supplied cables).

If there were still small and/or CRT TVs on the market available today, I could see where you're coming from, sure, but the "quaintness" of sitting in front of a TV like the days of old is lost with currently available technologies. Nintendo could have rectified this by supplying controllers with longer cables to account for the differences between TVs then and TVs that are available now in order to recapture that "retro" feel. The fact that they didn't is a flat-out bad design choice, plain and simple. That was what I was trying to point out. The only circumstance in which I could see myself using the NES Mini is via a PC monitor, really, which somewhat defeats the purpose (and novelty) of the device.

Now, the Switch on the other hand does a better job of harking back to that era, at least in tabletop mode, as users will need to be seated closely to the screen and gathered together, which also replicates that sense of intimacy, I guess, of playing games together like the "old days". I would much rather prefer to have these Mini consoles in the form of a Switch cartridge instead. Perhaps then they would get some use.

An affiliate link to a Link in need is an affiliate Link indeed.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

ThanosReXXX

@Silly_G No, that's not it. You're missing the point, which is very simple: these Minis exist to recreate nostalgia. That is also the reason why they're not online-enabled, or why they don't have wireless controllers. We didn't have all that back then.

And the Switch doesn't even come close to recreating that. It's like saying a smart phone or a tablet comes close. Sure, you can emulate/run these older games on there, and on the Switch you have the instant two player option, which is nice, and you can also all sit, huddled around a small screen (which, on a side note, actually reminds me more of N64 days... ), but it's still not a true representation of how NES games were played and how it felt to play them, back then.

As for the TV's: we had a pretty big CRT screen back in the day, so the whole "having to sit in front of the TV because it's so small" thing doesn't apply for me at all. That's also not what it was about. It was about sitting next to your console, either on the floor, a cushion or a legless chair (yes, these things do/did exist) so you were able to easily swap cartridges, instead of having to walk over to the console all the time.

For the true retro gamer, the experience needs to be as close to the real thing, as possible if the actual thing isn't an option, so every single thing you change about that, breaks the immersion/illusion of playing on an "actual" NES/SNES.

The on-board menu of the Minis is already one step too far for some purists, probably...

Now, I'm not THAT much of a purist, but I can still appreciate having the actual, correct controller in my hand, and looking at a box, that's connected to my TV and looks like the real thing, so that at least most of the boxes of recreating the illusion are ticked.

But as I already said in my previous comment, I most definitely do agree with you on the cables being FAR too short. That's why I bought extension cables for the SNES Mini, and I'll do the same for the NES Mini. The softmod/hack will do the rest, so I don't have to get up from the couch, to reset the console and select another game...

HobbitGamer

ThanosReXXX wrote:

It was about sitting next to your console, either on the floor, a cushion or a legless chair (yes, these things do/did exist) so you were able to easily swap cartridges, instead of having to walk over to the console all the time.

Yessss. That's why the RF/Power cables were so long! Then after playing it, you had to put the console back near the tv, nice and neat.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer Indeed, you get it. Does sound like we actually need a longer HDMI cable, instead of longer controller cables, though...

hode2k

I played at 5age mario contra/ and tsubasa at 6

just take code from my oldnote

hode2k

Lroy

I'm still adding games to my NES Classic on those rare moments I get the chance. Hoping to have a nice expansive but curated set of games on there when I'm done. Then it can stay connected to the TV for the long-term.

For anyone else having fun devising lists of games to add and tweaking their NES collection, this book looks a valuable resource: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/books/hg101-presents-nes-cul...

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Ryu_Niiyama

^ oh geez I forgot about the nightmare of curating what games to put on the thing. I might have to binge watch some lets plays or something.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy So, yesterday evening, I finally found the time to hook up the NES Mini.
Haven't modded it yet, just wanted to give it a quick run over, to see what's what, and the extension cables finally arrived, which also helped a bunch (man, I thought the SNES Mini cables were short... ), so I hooked it up to the TV, and tried out a couple of games.

Considering your question about the display settings, I'm not quite sure what you thought I might see or notice, but the only thing that occurred to me, is that the CRT effect was a little more subtle than the one on the SNES Mini, but other than that, I actually really liked it, so just as on the SNES Mini, it will become my default setting. I'm not very interested in pixel perfect setting anyway, since that also wasn't how I played the games back then.

I hope to find some time this coming week to mod it and put my list of games on there. I will probably use the latest version of hakchi, but I'm also thinking about re-hacking my SNES Mini with that one, because it somehow feels kind of strange to have the NES Mini running on a newer version than the SNES Mini...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic