Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 9,821 to 9,840 of 11,914

Banjo-

@Ralizah PS3 didn't oversold Xbox 360. Sony, technically, did during the current generation releasing cheap revisions with cut features but last generation was #1 Wii ("casual"/blue ocean market), #2 Xbox 360 (hardware and software) and #3 PS3, lagging and behind everyone else.

@NEStalgia Interesting, I didn't know that Sony had online DRM planned and backpedaled after Microsoft's messy conference.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

@Dezzy Halo is always linear, though.

Not that much though. You have several points in the first game where you just have to explore and find the correct destinations yourself. That point where you first land on the Halo, you have to save 3 different platoons of soldiers, and you're pretty much left to just explore yourself and find them in whatever order.

There's nothing like that in Halo 2, as far as I can remember. It's much more of a Call of Duty style campaign (but better).

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

redd214

Just wrapped up my Halo marathon rolled credits on 5! Dunno why 4 and 5 get so much hate, definitely weren't bad by any means. Think I'm gonna give Ori 2 a go next see what all the hype is about!

redd214

Ralizah

@BlueOcean

"PS3 didn't outsell the 360, except technically it outsold the 360."

That's a very circuitous way of admitting I'm right. It's an impressive achievement considering how poorly the PS3 started last gen.

Anyway, my point is that bungling launch doesn't mean a console has to fail. It requires persistent mistakes that aren't corrected.

Hopefully Microsoft's studio acquisitions help it build up a first party portfolio that can compete with Sony and Nintendo.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Yeah, the joys of always getting the last word.... The drm thing was worked out (and pushed by) big publishers who wanted cosoles to be x86 Steam clones.... And they'd been rid of physical games on pc for years. It was time to bring console into that. Just like making the consoles inefficient x86 pcs, drm would be made pc style too!

So it blew up in Microsoft's face and Sony had enough time to tell the publishers to go eff themselves, reversed The program to save face, and put that "this is how you share" video together on the e3 floor. Genius business... But that's why we have this stalemate. The moment one comes out and says "only $749.99!" And gets laughed out of the business, the other will come out with "only $1.99 with 10 games!"

@Dezzy Halo 3 and odst are much more like 2, than 1.

@Ralizah blues right though. Ps3 was a dog all gen.... And i had 4 of them because the disc drives kept failing.

Yes they eventually outsold the others.... Because they sold an ultra budget version for pocket change after the competing products were long discontinued. It was like the ps3 mini except without scalpers.

If they still sold a micro x1 for half the price of switch for 3 more years, I'm sure x1 could win this gen...

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@NEStalgia

About what about Reach, 4 and 5? I haven't played any of those yet!

Edited on by Dezzy

BruceCM

I think you're exaggerating with the £1.99 bit, @NEStalgia .... Especially with 10 games! Although I'm curious which ones those would be for either next console?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

NEStalgia

@Dezzy Reach is strange in that when it first came out it was loathed. I mean Paper Mario and the Thousand Sticker Door level loathed.

And then somehow it's noe everyone's favorite Halo. I haven't actually finished it yet... And i got it launch day... . But it plays different from 2 and 3 and odst. I'm not sure I'd say it's"not linear" but it's more open, yes.

4 and 5.... They're 343, not bungie. It's not that they're bad, it's just that they're.... They lack that bungie pizzaz that's in the others (and in destiny, just beneath the Activision ponzi design.)

Personally I'm looking forward to getting back to reach... I've always felt guilty for not finishing it back on 360!

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@BruceCM just a bit........

Well if plus and gold are any indicator, the 10 ps5 games would be ps4 exclusives that everybody already bought for $15 and some dlc with window dressing. For XSeX, the games would be a bunch of indies nobody's ever heard of plus , crackdown 3 enhanced edition and 3 months of gamepass ultimate.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@NEStalgia

Where's best to play Reach? I was gonna go 2->3->ODST->Reach->4->5

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy That's one of the best approaches (the other is Reach before CE).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BruceCM

Lols, you so cynical, @NEStalgia .... Still, I'll get both next consoles if they're £2 each!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

NEStalgia

@Dezzy It's a personal preference thing. I personally like to play series in release order... That, to me, is how the writers intend it, where you come to the game with certain knowledge and assumptions and they play on that. Plus with games, the gameplay changes assume that as well.

Otoh some people prefer chronological story other.... Which means you should have done reach first, it's a prequel to the series

Release order means play it 2, odst, 3, reach.

Edit: plus odst has Nathan Fillion making it, objectively, the best Halo.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

Release order means play it 2, odst, 3, reach.

ODST was definitely after 3.

Grumblevolcano

Release order:
CE - 2001
2 - 2004
3 - 2007
ODST - 2009
Reach - 2010
4 - 2012
5 - 2015
Infinite - 2021 or later

Chronological order:
Reach
CE
ODST (occurs during Halo 2, start of ODST is just after Halo 2's Metropolis)
Infinite

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

ODST was after 3? Huh, I swore I remember the order being reversed.....faulty memory, I suppose.

Don't forget to buy your Halo Infinite Monster Energy Dink a year before Halo Infinite exists! time travel isn't just for Animal Crossing anymomore...

NEStalgia

Justifier

NEStalgia wrote:

ODST was after 3? Huh, I swore I remember the order being reversed.....faulty memory, I suppose.

Well, game was named "Halo 3: ODST"...

"Wake me... when you need me."

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

Dezzy

@Justifier

"Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes"

Doesn't automatically mean it's after the main game.

robr

@NEStalgia

You can’t use a President’s likeness to endorse/promote anything (unless what your promoting is a criticism or endorsement OF them), but (granted you own or have permission to use videos, photos or artwork) you can certainly use their likeness in just about any sort of medium.

robr

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic