Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 12,581 to 12,600 of 12,677

Pizzamorg

Eel wrote:

@Pizzamorg a new IP and a game that we don't know anything about?

Skyrim is like the best selling game of all time, maybe the new Elder Scrolls will be garbage who knows, but that doesn't mean Elder Scrolls exclusivity isn't huge.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: Mario Tennis Aces. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond. RingFit Adventure.
PC games currently playing: The Division 2. WWE 2K22. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

Eel

Has it been confirmed anywhere that it will never come to other systems? (or at least other computer OS? [which counts too if you ask me])

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I see the long term implications. But I also see the long term implications of MS not being competitive with Sony, and of the two, I think that's far more troublesome than an acquisition. It's not like they bought the last 3rd party publisher on the planet or anything.

I think talk of monopolies is reaching. There's a LOT of developers and publishers out there not under MS. The mere fact PS exists, and Steam exists, puts a check on any monopoly. They're not even remotely close to being a monopoly. Windows? Yes. Gaming? We're so far off from that. Even after this deal Xbox is STILL under Sony as a large publisher.

I see no threat of subscription only. There's too much demand for game ownership. Ppl love it as an option. That doesn't mean it's going to take over. Just like cloud gaming, which ppl said would take over owned games. It's not gonna happen. Unless ppl just stop buying physical games. Then that's on the gamers. They WANT to sell us games. Yes they like Gamepass revenue but there's a reason they offer discounts to buy when you're subbed. They make a boatload off purchases. I think that whole concern is unwarranted.

MS has continued to allow games to come to Switch (Minecraft, Doom Eternal DLC, Ori Blind Forest, Ori Will of Wisps, etc). Those other games weren't coming regardless. The Crash/Spyro/Tony Hawk games were done. They disbanded the team doing them. All the games worth remastering are Remastered. So there's not anything else left to get from them.

Furthermore, I'd rather see MS get them than CCP-sponsored Tencent or Amazon or Google.

On top of which, Spencer just said not all games will be exclusive. Can anyone honestly say Sony would do the same in that position? Heck no.

I'd much rather see MS buy studios- a legitimate business tactic to broaden their portfolio, then see Sony bribe publishers of games they don't own to devalue other platforms by not releasing multiplatform games elsewhere. If you don't own it, you have no right to deprive me of it. If you buy it, and it's yours, then you have the right to say I have to use your platform.

This is a massive acquisition, no doubt. But let's not make it out to be more than it is. This levels the playing field to be more competitive, not less. MS has floundered trying to compete with Sony for generations (barring the 360).

Every game they own is one less I have to worry about not releasing on Steam day and date. And, with any luck, this will result in Call of Duty returning to Steam instead of tied to their ridiculous launcher.

PLAYING
NS: Zombie Army 4, Splatoon 2
STEAM:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Pizzamorg

Eel wrote:

Has it been confirmed anywhere that it will never come to other systems? (or at least other computer OS? [which counts too if you ask me])

Yes and no. Voices haven't been willing to out and out confirm it in directly language, but have basically said it in every way they can without saying that direct sentence. This means possibly there is hope it'll come to non-Microsoft platforms, at least eventually, but it seems like a one in a billion chance at this point due to the language used.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/bethesda/the-elder-scroll...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/starfield-everything-we-kno...

Edited on by Pizzamorg

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: Mario Tennis Aces. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond. RingFit Adventure.
PC games currently playing: The Division 2. WWE 2K22. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

DarthNocturnal

Er, I thought CoD was only on Battle.Net on PC? Or was that the "ridiculous launcher" in question?

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
Ya.

It's not on Steam. And I will only buy on Steam, where I can map gyro properly. Sure, you can add as a non-Steam game but I hate doing that because then there's no community configs, and if the game doesn't allow mouse input you can only do it via Steam Controller and mapping all keyboard and mouse bindings, and that's far too tedious for me to do on every game not on Steam.

It's why, if it's not on Steam, I don't play it. Same reason I never play Gamepass on PC despite having a nice stockpile of it from my brother over the years.

PLAYING
STEAM:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Magician

JaxonH wrote:

Wow.

Obsidian, Bethesda, Activision-Blizzard… Xbox is back and stronger than ever!

This is nuts. But I’m glad to see it. Sony has had a deathgrip for so long, it’s about time Xbox offered some real competition.

@JaxonH

The scary bit is that MS probably aren't done shopping.

So who'll be next to join MS?

EA or WB Games?

Switch Physical Collection - 941 games (as of May 20th, 2022)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

JaxonH

@Magician
They've effectively tripled their in house studios over the last few years (remember they bought the Hellblade devs, Obsidian, Double Fine, and a whole list of others in addition to the 16 studios under Bethesda and Activision-Blizzard).

But the one thing their catalog is desperately missing is Japanese games. That's what I think their final acquisition will look to address.

Sega rumors might be legit. After all, these deals take years to iron out. If not Sega, I'm not sure who. But they need a few studios that appeal to the JP audience if they're ever to gain ground in Japan (and expand their audience in the west).

That would pretty much round out their in house portfolio. You've got western RPGs covered with Obsidian, you've got racers covered in house with Forza, you've got FPS on lock with Halo, CoD, Doom, Wolfenstein and Overwatch, cover based shooters covered with Gears, you've got platformers covered with Crash and Spyro IP, open world is covered with Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Starfield, they have a number of odds and ins with other studios, such as the story-driven Hellblade series, they've got a 2D fighter with Killer Instinct, but... they need JRPGs. That's their weakness.

I fully expect Sega or another large publisher with Japanese style games to be acquired as the final purchase.

What they should be doing is funding Sakaguchi to make AAA JRPGs with his own hand picked team, and just pay him handsomely to keep pumping out as many quality games as possible. Can't believe they let him go in the 360 era.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
STEAM:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

DarthNocturnal

I was about to say, why not buy Mistwalker and pick up from where they left off?

Sega would be interesting. They're already in close contact because of Microsoft handling... pretty much all backend stuff for PSO2 / PSO2: NG.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Ralizah

@JaxonH Xbox isn't really lacking in Japanese games. Even niche stuff like Danganronpa is hitting GP now.

IF they were to acquire a company, Square-Enix would be a far more likely target than SEGA. Final Fantasy is still the biggest non-Pokemon JRPG IP on the market, and many of Sega's games are already hitting GP as is anyway.

Also, S-E has a long history of signing exclusivity deals with anyone willing to throw money at them.

With that said, I don't think it'll happen. Most Xbox users don't care about Japanese games, and Microsoft was met with massive resistance from the Japanese market when they tried to penetrate it a couple of generations ago.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

JaxonH

@Ralizah
They get more than they deserve, that's for sure, but they're missing enough that it's not a draw for anyone who likes those games. They need a few exclusive games to draw ppl in. Like PS has Persona, Switch has Xenoblade, etc.

Even one good one would go a long ways.

You're right that SE is always signing deals. I've never seen a more money hungry publisher, and I've seen a lot. But I'm not sure they want to sell.

Xbox users don't care about JP games, but it wouldn't be for them. It would be to draw in new users. They've got their current audience on lock. But if they're to grow and actually rival PS, they need to draw in new audiences from other genres. Even one good JP buyout that cranks 1 quality JRPGs each year, that could be enough to bring in JRPG fans, in the same way Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon (and Tales of Vesparia) did on the 360.

I don't expect Xbox will ever make significant gains in Japan, but they could at least bump it up to 5% marketshare. There's no reason to be selling 600 consoles a week when Switch is doing 100k.

PLAYING
STEAM:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Matt_Barber

I think the problem with Microsoft going on these kind of shopping sprees is that they don't always work out well for the developers in the long run.

Certainly, there are few survivors of that first wave of acquisitions when they entered the console market with the original XBox, and even the most notable, Rare, are a shadow of their former selves. Meanwhile, the list of studios that were closed or sold on is rather larger.

That said, ABK is undoubtedly a special case. Bobby Kotick was clearly looking to sell, after being implicated in the company's toxic culture and abuse scandals last year, and there wouldn't have been a lot of potential buyers. Better Microsoft than someone like Tencent, I suppose.

Such opportunities aren't going to come up very often though, so it'll be back to the comparative small fry before long.

Matt_Barber

JaxonH

@Matt_Barber
I feel like EA has been the worst offender in that respect. Microsoft was pretty irresponsible too, but not nearly to the same degree. Rare was a bust purchase as the creators left when it happened. Fable dev studio was a legit mishap though.

But in the documentary they acknowledge their mistake with the Fable team, which leads me to believe they're correcting course moving forward. Nothing is guaranteed, but I have confidence Spencer knows what he's doing. Maybe my trust is misplaced, but, I suppose time will tell.

PLAYING
STEAM:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Matt_Barber

@JaxonH EA are definitely worse, but Microsoft's record still isn't good. You can count the number of studios on one hand that are still on their books from prior to 2014.

That said, ABK's own record isn't too good either and Microsoft are probably going to represent a significant step up in terms of corporate governance. Hopefully, that'll mean staff retention is less of an issue than with other takeovers.

Matt_Barber

jump

I can actually see Microsoft spending these billions being their undoing, with that kinda megabucks they are now putting alot of pressure on themselves to sell alot more Xboxs and Gamepasses then ever before but if that doesn't happen then...

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

TommyTendo

Who gets the money when they buy stuff like this?

TommyTendo

jump

@TommyTendo either the owners if it's a private company like with Rare or the shareholders if it's a public company like Activision. The shareholders will vote yay or nay on the offer and the majority wins so it can be a case of 51% vote yes but the other 49% will still be forced to sell their shares at the price offered since it's a cash offer.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

jump

If Microsoft really want to buy Japan then forget platformers and JRPGs, they need Momotaro Dentetsu to complete their world domination!

Nicolai wrote:

TommyTendo

So, if they offer enough money, will Nintendo be forced to sell if 51 % of the shareholders say yes?
Or must Nintendo also say yes?

TommyTendo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic