Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 10,241 to 10,260 of 11,914

Dezzy

The Series X sold out a lot faster than the Series S. The Series S is still available on amazon, nearly an hour later.
I guess that's because it's the most devoted people who buy it on launch, and they favour the more powerful consoles. I'm thinking surely the Series S sells more over the long term though.

The same was true with PS5 on amazon. The more expensive disc-based console sold a lot more than the digital version.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Magonigal

@Dezzy

I would normally go with the Series X but I want to upgrade my computer as well so Series S was a good value option to play the same games that I could afford. Yeah I think mostly the pre-orders will be for the more expensive console but when they are on general sale the Series S will probably sell more

Magonigal

DarkRula

Series S is locked in with the Microsoft (UK) store after trying Game a few times and not getting past the maintenance screen, then seeing how they were locking the delivery method to collection in store. Meanwhile, no issues whatsoever with the Microsoft store.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

GilbertXI

@Alpha-2002 I doubt it. Capcom and Sega would not want to sell themselves off, they make too much money on their own. Capcom does have a habit of making deals with Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft for exclusive games for each of them, they could just do that.

I think 2 years ago, Zenimax would not have sold off in the first place. But their president just died, before that someone was accused of sexual allegations, and fallout 76 released. They weren't exactly in the best shape they could be, so Microsoft swooped in.

GilbertXI

StuTwo

The Zenimax/Bethesda purchase is huge for Microsoft. ES6, Starfield and Fallout 5 will be three of the biggest selling and talked about games released over the next 3-4 years.

Now I'd bet they'll still be released on PS5 but there won't be any certainty until much closer to the time. On the flip side everyone now knows that those games will certainly be released on XBox Series S and X (and that they will now run better and look better on XBox). It's that uncertainty that will eat away at Sony's momentum. It gives a lot of PS4 owners a reason to wait on jumping forward.

Even worse from Sony's perspective is that Microsoft now has two cuckoos in the PS5 nest with Ghostwire and Deathloop. When Sony signed them up as exclusives they would have had in mind; a - selling a lot of software to make money directly, b - providing a technical showcase, c - those games being compelling exclusives to sell customers on PS5 over XBox, d - to hopefully inaugurate new franchises that will be heavily associated with Playstation. All of those plans are in flames. But the contracts - I'm sure - require Sony to pay a ton of money to advertise and market those games (and they pretty much have to anyway if they've built them tightly into their release schedule).

Expect a lot of Bethesda developers over the next year making comments on Twitter about how much easier it is to programme for XBox series S and X and how the X is just so much more powerful than the PS5. Doubly so if Microsoft does continue to release forthcoming Bethesda games on Playstation. The whole thing is a disaster for Sony however you cut it.

It's even more of a bind because of the way it significantly strengthens GamePass - both as a reason to buy XBox over PS but also for many as a reason not to buy full price new releases. Even if gamers buy both consoles there'll be fewer royalties going Sony's way and - we know from Netflix - that once consumers are in that type of subscription ecosystem they engage less with content from outside that ecosystem. It's much harder for Sony to make a switch to a subscription model.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Banjo-

So who has pre-ordered? I pre-ordered a Series X and will be selling my Xbox One X.

Banjo-

Magonigal

@BlueOcean
Pre-ordered Series S in the UK
Here's an interesting video from Alanah Pearce about Microsoft buying Bethesda and making some points about Game Pass I hadn't considered :

Magonigal

Justifier

I pre-ordered from Microsoft store. Now we are waiting for November 10.

"Wake me... when you need me."

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

Magonigal

Good thing about getting from the Microsoft store is that I don't have to pay until November so time to get saving now

Magonigal

Banjo-

Magonigal wrote:

Good thing about getting from the Microsoft store is that I don't have to pay until November so time to get saving now

True, I ordered from another website this time (because I was late) and I have been charged already and I don't even know if I got a unit from the first stock. If I don't I'll ask for a refund if I can get it somewhere else come November the 10th.

You did the right thing, Microsoft website has never disappointed me.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Dezzy

Well for anyone else who's partially getting the Series S/X as a backcompat machine, I should point out the original Red Dead Redemption has just gone on sale in the European xbox store.

BlueOcean wrote:

So who has pre-ordered? I pre-ordered a Series X and will be selling my Xbox One X.

The exact same but one level lower. Pre-ordered a Series S and have put my One S up on ebay. Between the console and all of the physical games I'm selling to go digital, it'll more than up the price of the new console.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Grumblevolcano

@BlueOcean Some online preorders do a check transaction where they do the transaction to make sure you can purchase the thing and then refund you soon after.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Banjo-

@Dezzy That's a good idea as well. You'll be able to get cheap digital games and there's Game Pass.

Banjo-

Grumblevolcano

Big sale on now for games from:

• Square Enix
  • Rockstar
  • Capcom

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

sixrings

Waiting in line makes me wonder how good the deals will be for xbox one s will be this black Friday.

sixrings

Tasuki

Well was in line at my local GameStop and wasn't able to get one. They only had 8 Series X and 2 Series S. Hopefully I can get one next shipment.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

redd214

It's funny MS took that jab at Sony about the pre-order debacle and its going just as bad for them lol!

Anyone got a favorite Amazon dog yet?!

redd214

GilbertXI

@redd214 well, to be fair, it was going to be chaos either way. Xbox was just controlled chaos.

Judging from how both consoles are selling like hotcakes(I'm not even bothering yet) this might actually be the first generation where sales and competition will be relatively even. That's very good for everyone I think.

GilbertXI

redd214

@GilbertXI Of course it was going to be chaotic, that's my point. No biggie I just found it funny!

I did secure an X on Amazon for my neighbor though, you should see how happy he is lol!!

redd214

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic