Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 10,101 to 10,120 of 11,914

NEStalgia

@redd214 I'm still hoping xCould gets a PC client. It's crazy it doesn't have one. Though I might just set up my old 1X since I'm apparently not trading it up and walking into a probably plague-ridden GameStop come November, and using it as an around the house streaming server for some of the games. I need to find a cheaper client for it than Surface though. Otherwise I might get a cheap Android tablet or something to try with it (I'm not going to drain my phone battery to play games. Who knows when there's 5 hours of preorders to use it to hunt down )

But I definitely could find some uses for xCloud once I get Ultimate going. I'm not good at hunting the $1 deal though, and I still have 6 months of gold to expire without it (unless I do XAA)

I still have a massive backlog of old games to go through....I mostly want the new hardware to play those even better (Witcher 3 getting a free upgrade next year, etc!) the new games are great, and Ratchet is probably the only $70 day one game I'll ever buy. I'd say Fable and Avowed, but thanks to GP I'm not worried about those. On PS, even GoW without the load screens sounds dreamy.
power!

Haha, since you're not reselling, those extra PS4s are definitely going to happen to force you into it. It always works out that way! I wonder if 3D All Stars will really command tons of value or if they're producing so many they'll all just sit there? I'm definitely opening that one tomorrow.... I've waited 15 years for Sunshine!

NEStalgia

Ralizah

Man, if Microsoft lands this preorder period versus the clown show that happened with PS5...

@BlueOcean Sony isn't really doing a good job of undercutting Microsoft considering the Series S is $100 lower than the digital PS5. Xbox Series X is, far and away, the most powerful of the two consoles, and they're launching for the same price. It's not as devastating as the weaker Xbox One launching for $100 more than the PS4, but it's still not a good look.

So Xbox has both the most powerful console and the cheapest console. And Sony is occupying some weird in-between space.

And two of their biggest exclusives in the system's launch year are cross-gen with PS4. And people will be driven to those versions because of how hard it is going to be to even obtain a PS5 any time soon.

Jesus christ.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

redd214

@NEStalgia yeah it's nutty that it's not on PC officially yet. I had an opportunity to try the beta (maybe alpha who knows) of the pc client during the summer time I believe and it worked perfect. Fully expected it to launch when the full thing released but I guess MS has other plans.

Down to only 2 ps4s at the moment, 3 if you count the 500 M one but honestly I think that's actually one thing I may hang onto barring an absolute emergency. The pro and a few controllers will be getting sold soon though to pay for launch games, going to hold onto the slim I got BF last year just in case but it'll mainly be a remote play device to finally be able to play certain games with both of the kiddos at once.

As far as 3d AllStars goes, while I do want to try all 3 as they're undeniable classics that I've never been able to play, I can't honestly say I'm dying to try them out the moment the package comes tomorrow. If there's a decent premium on it come March I may flip it but if not I'll just open it and play em when I have a chance, definitely won't be starved for games the next 6 or so months!

redd214

Banjo-

@Ralizah Yes, it's not like the more expensive Xbox One VCR. Microsoft now has the cheapest console and the most powerful console for the same price as PS5 with PS5 Digital in between the two. It's quite interesting and much better than in 2013. It's going to be interesting in the long term because all of them are going to sell out until 2021.

Banjo-

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

Xbox Series X is, far and away, the most powerful of the two consoles, and they're launching for the same price. It's not as devastating as the weaker Xbox One launching for $100 more than the PS4, but it's still not a good look.

It's a pretty meaningless fact though when they don't have any games that show it off. Microsoft are clearly leaning hard on just winning the pricing war, because they have been really dumb on the exclusives side.
If they'd wanted to win that battle, the Series X should be launching with Halo and Fable on day 1, and they should be 2 of the best looking games you've ever seen. That would make a huge impact. Given how much time they've had to prepare for it, I don't understand why they haven't done that.

Ninfan wrote:

what will everyone buy xbox series X or S ?

I'm buying a Series S. Selling my current Xbox this week and then pre-ordering the new console when the preorders start next week.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Dezzy

Awesome! This was all I needed to hear to guarantee I'm getting the Series S:

Microsoft: "Backwards compatible games will get resolution and sometimes framerate boosts on Series S/X":

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/09/back_compat_games_will_...

I knew they would, given that they've put so much emphasis on backcompat. Games like Witcher 2, Red Dead, Final Fantasy XIII, Fable Anniversary will look so damn good in 1440p.
Also it sounds very likely that current gen games will get boosts to 60fps. That'll be awesome in open-world games like Witcher 3 and FFXV.

Pretty much everyone who has a current Xbox One should upgrade! The Series S does everything the current Xbox One does and more, for a tiny price increase.

Edited on by Dezzy

Ralizah

@Dezzy

Series X's superior GPU will matter in third party games if you have a 4KTV. Which is what people who buy the more expensive model will care about in the first place.

I agree Microsoft needs to up its console exclusives game, though. The Medium looks really good, at least.

Dezzy

@Ralizah

Lol I still don't even have a 1440p screen. I have 3 different TVs/monitors are none of them is higher than 1080p. So 4K just seems like fantasy irrelevance to me. The Series S seems like it was made specifically for me. I'm sure Microsoft care deeply about me, so it must be true

Ralizah

@Dezzy Me too. And I'm sure the same applies to a LOT of people. Which is why the Series S is such a good idea. Aside from raytracing features, graphical fidelity now seems very tied to absurd pixel counts in games. It's such a waste.

I just like PC more, so I don't know that I'll end up picking up a Series S, but I've been VERY, VERY tempted to. And considering how down I've been on Microsoft for years now, that tells you something.

I kinda hope the Series S kicks the PS5's teeth in, and they're forced to release a budget PS5 revision midway through the gen to try and salvage their sales.

Edited on by Ralizah

Dezzy

@Ralizah

Oh yeah if the Series S outsells the PS5 at launch, I guarantee Playstation will immediately look into making their own equivalent.

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah I'm hoping PS5 outsells both Xbox systems at launch so Microsoft focuses more on their 1st party library. It's pretty obvious from the current situation that on the 1st party front, Microsoft was solely reliant on Halo Infinite for the near future.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano Microsoft has spent the last seven or so years getting destroyed by Sony, and they've recently spent a lot of money acquiring studios to make games for them. They know they're lacking in that area. But... it takes time to fix. Best case scenario is that, by the end of this gen, Microsoft has a reliable stable of studios consistently developing excellent games for them.

If nothing else, Obsidian was a good pick. They have a loooooooooooong way to go if they ever want to compete with Sony and Nintendo, though.

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah While it does take time to fix, I would say releasing 1st party games only on PC doesn't help. Like imagine how big it would've been if Age of Empires had its debut on Xbox in the launch window with those Definitive Editions. Age of Empires 2 came to PS2 so I doubt controls would be an issue.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Banjo-

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Ralizah I'm hoping PS5 outsells both Xbox systems at launch so Microsoft focuses more on their 1st party library. It's pretty obvious from the current situation that on the 1st party front, Microsoft was solely reliant on Halo Infinite for the near future.

Is that how you want to reward Microsoft after righting every wrong, developing the best hardware and setting 15 studios up?

@DarthNocturnal Games on Series S will be 30% smaller.

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/09/game_sizes_will_be_arou...

Banjo-

Dezzy

BlueOcean wrote:

Is that how you want to reward Microsoft after righting every wrong, developing the best hardware and setting 15 studios up?

Lets see what they actually produce before we celebrate. If Halo Infinite becomes a game of the year contender, if the new Fable game is as good as Fable 2 but with the graphical quality of Forza (given that it's the same dev) and if Avowed is on the same level as Skyrim in terms of first person RPGs, well then they'll definitely be back in the game for sure. Bit too early to say that though. They might all suck.

Banjo-

Dezzy wrote:

BlueOcean wrote:

Lets see what they actually produce before we celebrate. If Halo Infinite becomes a game of the year contender, if the new Fable game is as good as Fable 2 but with the graphical quality of Forza (given that it's the same dev) and if Avowed is on the same level as Skyrim in terms of first person RPGs, well then they'll definitely be back in the game for sure. Bit too early to say that though. They might all suck.

I didn't say anything like that.

Banjo-

Grumblevolcano

@BlueOcean Right now I don't think Microsoft have fixed Xbox's problems, instead they use Game Pass to distract from its problems. I have some hope it will be fixed in the next 2 years or so though.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Banjo-

As @Ralizah said, the only thing that Xbox could improve now is games and they have acquired studios for that.

Banjo-

Dezzy

@BlueOcean

What purpose is there to "setting up 15 studios" is they don't produce anything good? I thought that was the implication of what you were saying?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic