Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 8,761 to 8,780 of 16,083

Ralizah

Of course PS4 is entering the final stage of its lifecycle. What was actually said seems to suggest that PS5 will likely launch in either 2020 or 2021.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Haruki_NLI

@redd214 And y'all thought $80 for Switch's with gyro people actually use and NFC that is actually used and HD Rumble that is actually used was expensive!

This is a PS4 controller with the same features no one uses in any game.

Actually it doesn't mention anything about gyro etc, but it has ANOTHER touchbar? Come on people.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

TuVictus

Doesn't look half bad! I'd use it, if I didn't already have plenty of controllers.

TuVictus

Ralizah

Oh god, they ruined the PS4 controller!

link3710

@YummyHappyPills I'd find it hard to swallow it not having gyro, given I use my normal PS4 controller's gyro on PC all the time. They probably just think it's not worth advertising because no one supports it.

link3710

Haruki_NLI

@link3710 That's a funny notice. I got super hyped about Switch Pro support on PC as I love that controller feel and more importantly actual battery life.

When I mentioned I was hype to use gyro in stuff, people did say "You could have just used your DS4 for that".

I legitimately forgot it had gyro. I have not played a SINGLE game on my PS4 that uses it, the lightbar or the touchpad.

redd214

@Tsurii from what I've read they are for the face buttons so that you wouldn't have to remove your right thumb from the analog stick to use them. May seem like overkill to most but I'm sure in professional gaming where split seconds matter, it would make a difference.

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Octane

@redd214 I assume there's maybe people with disabilities that find them useful too, you never know!

It is expensive though...

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane The irony there is my disability would GREATLY appreciate it if the right analog stick was above the face buttons so I dont have to shift my entire hand or painfully angle my thumb towards it.

But for general other hand issues yeah its nice.

But er….feature set wise for $200....nah im good.

Dezzy

"End of its lifecycle" seems like something they would've preferred to say only to investors and not to audience members.
I still expect the PS5 won't be earlier than christmas 2020. Possibly even 2021.
It doesn't seem like it's in Sony's interest to want to rush out of a generation where they're dominant. The decline they're projecting (from 19 million consoles to 16 million consoles) is a fairly minor one.

That's what I hope anyway. If the generation were to end in 2019, I think I'd seriously start questioning the value of buying consoles nowadays. PC would just be better value. If Xbox One ended in 2019 it'd be one of the worst valued consoles in history.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

TuVictus

@Dezzy Especially with things like the PS4 Pro and Xbox X sorta giving new life into the generation. Them announcing there's yet another box to buy anytime before 2020 probably wouldn't go too well, not even from a business standpoint.

If they do decide to rush out of the generation where they're raking it in hand over fist against all conventional logic, I hope their next box plays PS4 games. They don't have the architecture excuse after this, unless they decide to do something like the nightmare that was the PS3.

TuVictus

Dezzy

@MisterPi

Yep, in fact the existence of the Xbox One X highly suggests the generation won't end in 2019. That'd just be a complete scam to charge people that much for a new console and then discontinue it after 2 years.
The fact that they introduced it at all suggests they're expecting it to be a long generation.

redd214

I think this quote has been read into far too much and blown out of proportion. Yes, ps4 is probably in the back half of its lifespan from a years standpoint, that doesn't mean the ps5 is coming next year necessarily. It's like I have a 10 year old dog, I can say "she's towards the end of her life cycle" doesn't mean I expect her to drop dead tomorrow. Just means she has more years behind her than in front of her. That's all I read from the quote, but the internet is still losing their minds over it.

redd214

TuVictus

Yeah, it's frustrating because it's the headline everyone clung to, instead of looking at the context in which it was said.

TuVictus

Ralizah

They literally said it was "entering the final phase of its lifecycle." That's not the phrasing you use for something that's about to get replaced. It just means: we've been supporting this thing since 2013, tech has moved on, and we're preparing to launch the next generation of home consoles in a couple of years.

Grumblevolcano

Well as long as Xbox One X is the most powerful console, Sony does have a potential reason to end current gen earlier even though the PS4 is still doing well. Will it annoy PS4 users, of course but moving forward has always been a case of balancing what the fans want and what the company wants.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

redd214

@Grumblevolcano the fact that it's a lesser console power wise isn't really impacting them negatively though so why blink first? Yeah they don't get the "most powerful" tag line but they have the games you can't get anywhere else which I think is more important to both sides at this point. We shall see

redd214

TuVictus

Even ignoring that, they're still winning in overall sales, most powerful console or not, so they really have little reason to end the generation. Now if we're thinking they'll release another PS4++ to catch up or surpass the X, I think that's way more likely.

TuVictus

Dezzy

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Well as long as Xbox One X is the most powerful console, Sony does have a potential reason to end current gen earlier even though the PS4 is still doing well. Will it annoy PS4 users, of course but moving forward has always been a case of balancing what the fans want and what the company wants.

I doubt simply having the more advanced console is any great advantage. Very few devs are gonna make the most out of it because they're targeting the platform with the biggest userbase, which is the base PS4.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic