Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 14,641 to 14,660 of 16,084

Ralizah

@TheFrenchiestFry That's the response you can expect when you say exclusives are important and that you believe in generations, and then almost immediately we hear about big games going cross-gen, exclusives going to PC, etc. Sony's messaging atm is some of the worst I've ever seen. It doesn't feel like they have a clear vision for the future of the device, whereas Microsoft's roadmap is VERY clear.

@Dezzy Miners have been snatching up GPUs for years now. Nvidia tried to counteract it by making their newer cards limit the hash rate when cryptomining algorithms are detected and launched dedicated GPUs aimed at miners, but they've just been able to bypass these measures anyway.

Anyway, I don't know about Tesla or what's happening with its cars, but the entire automotive industry has been affected by the shortage in chips. It's both an issue with production due to covid restrictions worldwide AND supply chain issues when it comes to the raw materials. And, as I alluded to, increased demand for electronics containing these parts.

It's just a mess all around.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah The inherent problem I kind of have with everything is that Microsoft's roadmap is definitely more clear and they've been more transparent with consumers, but it's a roadmap that I'm not exactly enthused about

The fact that not counting anything happening with Bethesda, we might have to wait potentially until the midway point of the generation for Xbox's big first party offerings that aren't Halo or hopefully Hellblade was honestly reason enough for me to stick with Sony this generation despite all the goodwill they have with Game Pass and xCloud

It's just that Sony's PR and their inherent ambivalence towards communicating openly with their playerbase is allowing stuff like the Bloomberg article to come out which forces a perception onto us that they just don't care, and they aren't doing anything about it. I feel like things would be looking a lot better if they just so much as talked about what they have going forward, because other than that I'm honestly happy to be a PS5 owner and I think the PR issues they've had are causing a cascade of problems that shouldn't be there

Microsoft is making so many major plays right now and the problem is Sony just isn't talking

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Grumblevolcano

@TheFrenchiestFry The fact they went back on Miles Morales, Sackboy and Horizon Forbidden West (all 3 were originally announced as PS5 exclusives) means the only upcoming Sony 1st party games we can be certain will be PS5 exclusive rather than crossgen PS4 and PS5 are Returnal and Ratchet & Clank.

The PC situation also makes things extremely interesting to be honest. For all we know, Sony could throw Horizon Forbidden West on PC day 1 as part of their "more PS4 1st party games on PC" setup.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TheFrenchiestFry

@Grumblevolcano Honestly I don't think they were ever not intended to come out on PS4. The only one that was ever actually built for PS5 from the ground up was Demon's Souls but the others clearly started development with PS4 as a target platform, particularly Miles Morales and Forbidden West since they're building off of popular PS4 games

I don't think Sony's going that far with PC though. They still care immensely about bringing as many people to PlayStation's ecosystem and PC is just a way of courting people on that platform to get excited about future games they have in the works. I honestly don't expect any PS5 game coming in the future to get this treatment. It'll just be PS4 games in advance of new games being developed for PS5. They're probably not going to do something like launch Forbidden West on PC alongside the other platforms if they even bring it at all. I think the only reasonable candidate for a PC port from the PS5 pile is probably Demon's Souls given how large Souls' playerbase is on PC

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Ralizah

@TheFrenchiestFry Microsoft definitely should have gone on this first-party spending spree three years ago or so, so they could be prepared for the new generation. They're doing everything right atm, but you can't buy more time, and Microsoft has nothing prominent other than Halo to sell the new Xbox this year.

Granted, I think a LOT of Sony's stuff is going to be very delayed this gen as well. Other than Horizon, which is a cross-gen release, they just don't have much in the way of hard hitters this year. Returnal is likely going to flop and sell mostly to Playstation faithfuls. Ratchet and Clank will be reasonably popular and do well, but, for most people, it's not the sort of game that moves units.

Not that it'll matter. The PS4 sold extremely well with almost nothing good in the way of exclusives for years.

I feel like a lot of Sony's moves would potentially be poorly received by their fanbase if they opened up about them, which would explain the deafening silence from them as of late. They know people will move on as soon as they release something new and shiny, whereas talking about their future as a brand frankly will bring more scrutiny of their movements than they like.

That's how I read the situation, anyway.

BruceCM

As much as I like what I've seen of Returnal, I'm not getting a PS5 just for that game .... With the way the vast majority are 'timed' exclusives, like FFVII Remake, Forspoken & presumably like FFXVI will be, it's highly unlikely there'd be enough to persuade me to spend £500 on a console! I'd spend it on upgrading the PC over the next few years, if needed, instead

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

BruceCM

Already pre-purchased RE Village, aka Tall Lady game for Steam with 35% discount, @Wavey84 .... While I'm waiting for FFVII Remake there, etc! Not interested in their God of War stuff, personally or Sackboy, etc. While Spiderman is the sort of thing I'd pick up in sales if I had the console, just to see what it's all about but I'm not getting one for that
I naturally have to keep up with what is going to definitely be fully exclusive to PS systems, since I don't have one, so I did check out their various shows for games, etc

SW-4357-9287-0699

Zuljaras

I am in the Resident Evil hype right now!

Playing through RE6, RE Deadly Silence and waiting for Resident evil 8. If they made a variety of enemies unlike the molded the game will be a GOTY contender!

The footage gives me Castlevania vibes ... awesome!

Edited on by Zuljaras

Magician

Makes me wonder how loud the collective groan would be from the Sony faithful if God of War Ragnarok was confirmed as cross-gen?

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

BruceCM

Eh, I know a few fans of Sackboy, @Wavey84 .... R&C doesn't interest me, either! Not sure about Stray but probably not & certainly not to get a PS5 for that & Returnal, lol

SW-4357-9287-0699

BruceCM

You might be liking the sequel for HZD, then, that'll be coming to PS5 .... I'll wait to see if it follows the former to Steam, though

SW-4357-9287-0699

Dezzy

Magician wrote:

I'm surprised how apathetic I've become about purchasing a PS5. I look at my PS4 backlog and ask myself, "do I really need it?" I look at my Switch backlog and think, "would I ever get around to my using a PS5?" Hmm, maybe when my brother gets a PS5 and buys a game that's exclusive and doesn't have crossplay with the PS4 version. But I don't see that happening for years.

Ha, I'm kinda glad the PS5 is starting out quite slow because I prefer to wait a couple of years so you can find the console a bit cheaper.

Although if both Horizon 2 and God of War 2 actually come out in 2021, that could certainly change the mood.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Grumblevolcano

@Magician Probably very loud. A lot has happened since the September 2020 crossgen confirmation of Miles Morales, Sackboy and Horizon Forbidden West. Such as Cyberpunk 2077 releasing providing very strong evidence that the game should've had a major delay along with the PS4/XB1 versions cancelled. Also Halo Infinite being very scaled back (e.g. very simplified weather, 1 biome) likely because XB1 is too weak.

If I recall correctly the main points back in September 2020 against crossgen were the Halo Infinite gameplay demo in July 2020 and Horizon Zero Dawn not having flyable mounts because the PS4 was too weak.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TheFrenchiestFry

@Dezzy I'm expecting Horizon to make but I'll be stunned if God of War doesn't get pushed back until spring 2022 or something along those lines

If it actually makes it this year that's one hell of a launch window closer

TheFrenchiestFry

Octane

No way GOW is going to be a 2021 game. If I can play it within 12 months or so I'd be happy.

Octane

Dezzy

@TheFrenchiestFry

My current guesstimate is that Horizon is like March/April 2022, which will be a covid-based delay. And God of War is like christmas 2022, which is a lying-based delay. I don't think they ever thought it would be 2021. I think they just said that to get people buying consoles.

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano WOW!

I guess the backlash was bigger than expected.

Dezzy

@Grumblevolcano

That's just weird. Surely they knew that people would be annoyed by it. So why did they do it in the first place, if a bit of backlash was enough to get them to backtrack.
That just makes them come across as kind of clueless and unprincipled.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic