Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 14,621 to 14,640 of 16,083

Dezzy

@Octane

Well the first Knack sold over 5 million, so that's not as bad a target as it sounds. Knack had a fairly poor reception though, whereas Ape Escape (the first one specifically) was incredibly highly regarded (90 on metacritic), so maybe comparing it to Ratchet & Clank, Crash or Spyro would be better. All of which sold very well. The Crash trilogy definitely outsold TLOU2 for example.

Of course if you include new content, that changes things though, I'm talking about a straight graphical update in PS5 graphics, which is what I'm assuming it will be. They'd be kinda insane to actually change anything else about the game, given that it's widely regarded as being nearly flawless. But then again, so is RE4 and apparently they're redoing that.....

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

kkslider5552000

The Sony news is really not good, imo. Relying on safer, and fewer big video games instead of a wide variety is my least favorite thing about video games by major companies nowadays (well my least favorite that doesn't feel like its stepping into any "actually morally wrong" territory, but I guess Naughty Dog already has that covered :V). **** off. Even EA just put out a weird, smaller, interesting video game, imagine being more scared of creativity than EA. Inexcusable. It doesn't even make sense, Sony at least partially relies on its first party releases to sell consoles, and they're single player. At least other companies try to put out multiplayer games that get updated for a long time, because that's how they work. Why would you put out less of your single player games?

I hope everyone that left goes on to make some wildly successful game, just to spite them.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

jedgamesguy

@Slowdive I wonder what the hell’s going on with Sony now. Why are they trying to make a brand out of Astro Bot again? Cute and good for one game but you can’t make Astro Bot the PlayStation mascot...

From what I’ve played the Naughty Dog games are unafraid of taking risks, and this is why butthurt gamers are so angry that The Last of Us Part II went in the direction it did. That’s why Kojima games are so divisive. And that’s why Sony want universally loved safe games.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Octane

@Dezzy I don't think it will be a straight forward remake if they do one. They surely will add in additional content, maybe even an alternate timeline or something that deviates from the original. If this leak is true, I think it's just to create more buzz around the HBO series, whichever comes out first. They'll probably change the look of the cast to reflect the actors in the series as well.

Octane

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

They'll probably change the look of the cast to reflect the actors in the series as well.

What a terrible idea. Those 2 characters are so iconic.

One of the rumours I heard is that they're just gonna sell it with a next-gen version of TLOU2, so that would make it so they can get away with not adding any new content, because it only needs to justify half the price of a retail release. That would probably do quite well in terms of sales if it's 2 for 1.

Grumblevolcano

Today is a day which ends in "y", which means more bad Sony news incoming. This time it has been found out that Sony is going even further regarding the store shutdowns, namely that game update servers are being shutdown too and they've already started removing some.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jedgamesguy

I didn't think it was possible to be this braindead.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Dezzy

@Grumblevolcano

I'd assumed those 2 things were the same anyway.

kkslider5552000

I think this sums up why I'm disappointed in Sony right now.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Zeldafan79

So are PS5's easy to find in stores yet? It would be nice if i could get one for my next birthday this may.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Ralizah

@Zeldafan79 GPUs, PS5s, Xbox Series S/X, etc. are going to be hard to find going into 2022, most likely. Maybe even longer.

You could possibly get lucky finding one in the wild, but your best bet is to haunt the big box sites and try to order a PS5 as soon as a new shipment goes live.

Thanks to the shortage of semiconductors and the explosion in demand for gaming hardware since last year, demand far outstrips supply rn.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Dezzy

What caused this semiconductor shortage exactly? Is it just a delayed effect from Covid?

Ralizah

@Dezzy Covid shut down factories in China and elsewhere, causing massive supply chain issues. Combine that with a massive surge in demand for electronics during covid, bitcoin mining, and, frankly, a lack of foresight about the robustness of these supply chains for years (considering they're used in EVERYTHING now, something like this was always going to happen eventually given our reliance on a relatively small number of foundries for chips), and you get a perfect storm of factors that lead to the situation we're in now.

This is even worse considering scalpers with armies of bots have effectively weaponized the shortage and increase in reliance on digital outlets last year to line their own pockets.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Dezzy

@Ralizah

Factories in China got back up and running quite quickly though. I remember Elon Musk saying that all of Tesla's suppliers in China were back to full output by March/April 2020.

Also why would bitcoin mining lead to more transistors? Are people buying computers specifically for that? I would've thought that was just done on already-existing computers.

Edited on by Dezzy

Magician

I'm surprised how apathetic I've become about purchasing a PS5. I look at my PS4 backlog and ask myself, "do I really need it?" I look at my Switch backlog and think, "would I ever get around to my using a PS5?" Hmm, maybe when my brother gets a PS5 and buys a game that's exclusive and doesn't have crossplay with the PS4 version. But I don't see that happening for years.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

TheFrenchiestFry

@Magician Returnal is literally coming out in 2 weeks and Ratchet & Clank is coming out in 2 months with God of War still slated for this year barring any delays

The only first party exclusive that's actually getting a PS4 version in the foreseeable future is Horizon, and unlike the other games it was initially being developed for PS4 anyway much like BotW transitioning from just a Wii U game to a Wii U and Switch dual release

This whole narrative that Sony's not making content that's purely exclusive to next gen or that they'll take years to do it is incredibly exaggerated. Out of the 5 first party Sony releases this year only two of them are cross gen

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Magician

@TheFrenchiestFry

Don't get it twisted. I'm not suggesting the PS5 lacks exclusives. The whole crux of my apathy stems from my brother potentially being interested specifically in online co-op / multiplayer PS5 exclusives.

Scenario 1: Does my brother have a PS5? No? Then I can wait.

Scenario 2: My brother has a PS5 and is enjoying this-or-that co-op game. Can I play that game on PS4? Yes? Good, then I can wait.

Scenario 3: My brother has a PS5 and is enjoying this-or-that co-op game. Can I play that game on PS4? No? Well...I suppose I'll have to purchase a PS5 then. What year is it? 2025? Sounds about right.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

TheFrenchiestFry

@Magician Honestly at this point Sony consoles are just not the go to for multiplayer unless it's third party in my opinion

If I was actually looking for that, there are way better options on Xbox and Switch. Sony consoles seem super centered around single player stuff, especially for exclusives, and anytime they try to experiment with multiplayer it's usually as a component in a game where single player is the main point like with LittleBigPlanet and GoT Legends or stuff like GranTurismo and Wipeout

Anytime they actually try to build something more substantial around multiplayer it's generally not received as well or just doesn't sell as well as they hoped like what happened seemingly with Destruction AllStars

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic