Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 14,541 to 14,560 of 14,645

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy On the PS store and some retailers they were. Naturally with physical games in general the price Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc. set is only a recommended price and plenty of retailers price the games cheaper. The reverse (launch price on digital store being cheaper than retail) doesn't happen of course because platform holders don't want to burn bridges with retailers.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

@Grumblevolcano

On the online store that's true yes. I don't think I've ever bought a full price game on PSN though.

I dunno if I buy that they care about retailers though. I mean they both have digital versions of their new consoles, which cut retailers out of the picture entirely. I think the higher digital price is just because there's no supply side of the pricing system with digital goods, so they can pretty much choose to set the price at whatever they want.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

timleon

Speaking of the online store...

The new browser store truly is shocking. None of the console storefronts have a great browser version, but up until last year's update PS's was at least straightforward enough to use.

Now? They've removed wishlists, PS3, PSVita and PSP games. The removal of previous consoles means I have to navigate the store through the individual console storefronts (which are notoriously bad). The removal of wishlists means that I have a long list of games that I'm much less likely to buy now, because I CBA to navigate through the PS sale list every time they have offers. It's like Sony don't want my money.

To add to all of this, the site overall just looks terrible. Somehow they made it look worse - the over-abundance of white is as if they forgot to apply a style sheet to the site, and the site in general just feels a pain to navigate. And how do game pages still not have screenshots?

I hope the PS5 console storefront is at least decent? People like to complain about the Switch storefront, but tbh I think it's the best offering of all the consoles I have.

Edited on by timleon

Previously "Buizel" and "HunterLeon"

Currently playing: Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC), Persona 5 Strikers (Switch), Pokemon Red (3DS)

Ralizah

The new PS Store website is the worst digital storefront I've ever seen in my life.

Which is a shame, because I actually really liked the old website. The PS Store portal on PS4 is almost unusable for me, so it's how I consistently bought digital PS4/Vita games.

Sony REALLY doesn't want me to buy the PS5, it seems.

@timleon Agreed. The Switch eshop storefront is deeply flawed, but it's, far and away, my favorite of the console ones (obviously Steam is better if you include PC, though).

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine expansion; Gnosia (Switch)
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)

timleon

@Ralizah Agreed on all points. Tbh, Switch is the only console where I can bear to actually buy from the console itself.

Edited on by timleon

Previously "Buizel" and "HunterLeon"

Currently playing: Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC), Persona 5 Strikers (Switch), Pokemon Red (3DS)

Grumblevolcano

I'd say the current Xbox console store on an OG XB1 is the worst and Wii U eshop is the best. The new PS store website is bad but at least it doesn't freeze all the time and these aren't just short freezes for like 30 seconds, it's more like minutes.

Would've been better if the current Xbox console store was exclusive to Series X|S meanwhile XB1 had the old store that was before November 2020.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Zuljaras

Today I will get Resident Evil 7 and Immortals Fenyx Rising (Switch) and I wonder what to start first. But I am more leaning to Resident Evil 7 to be up to speed for Resident Evillage!

Zuljaras

TheJGG

So. I beat Death Stranding yesterday, and marks the end of an absolutely amazing two month journey. I understood all the criticism, but I don't agree with any of it. It's not a walking simulator at all, the people who said this haven't played more than an hour of the game. As is the case with Breath of the Wild's world, it's empty with a purpose. The world is supposed to feel disconnected. You're meant to hear your footsteps as background music.

The world is absolutely stunning. It reminds me almost of Iceland, which is very fitting considering the genius design choice to incorporate pre-existing songs into certain points during exploration. I've now become a fan of LOW ROAR because of how many of their songs were placed into the game. Kojima couldn't have chosen better songs, and the scenery and music blend to create this haunting landscape of emotion. Give LOW ROAR a listen, songs like "Anything You Need", "Bones", Give Up" are masterpieces. Not to mention "Asylum For the Feeling" by the Silent Poets. Artistry.

The story for one is decent. Initially it had some inconsistent pacing though. Episode 3: Fragile took me almost a month to beat, yet during the last two days of the main story campaign (during which I played about eight hours of the game), I finished episodes eight through fourteen. If Episode "Fragile" was split into three chapters there wouldn't have been the issue of imbalanced pacing. Everything else is well balanced, though Episodes 13 and 14 are basically hour long cutscenes.

I have to confess that the combat was mixed. It was either super fun, with a surprising amount of post-battle adrenaline whether I was hunting BTs, avoiding them, stealing MULEs cargo and so on. I liked taking out MULEs with a bola gun, even if I couldn't kill them without turning them into BTs and all. But the humans added some... grounded danger, so to speak.

Either it was fun or it was unnecessarily stressful, like when I was randomly dragged into boss BT battles which I didn't want to do. Near the end of Episode 12: Bridges, I was passing through the Incinerator area on my way to Capital Knot City when I got attacked by three lion type BT bosses and caused an instant voidout, the first one of my playthrough. And despite the initial terror of dealing with BTs early in the game, by the time Episode 3 began I was able to send them back to the other side just by throwing a single hematic grenade at them.

And during Episode 12 the final boss was this giant leviathan type BT, and I found myself absolutely ready for a good fight. It was easy. All I had to do was pick up a rocket launcher, and just fire at the creature. Add some assault rifles and some quadruple grenade launchers and it ended within five minutes without any kind of danger of being killed.

One of my favourite things about the game was the atmosphere. It made you feel like no other game could. I almost cried during the final episode, which meant that game was THAT impactful. The music helped too, whether it was Ludvig Forssell's score, or the contributions of various artists whose songs were licensed.

This game is a masterpiece, and while sometimes it's not shy to wasting your time like when we had to sit through a good thirty minutes of unskippable credits, other times the investments are absolutely worth it.

Video games: RPGs, Action, Adventure.
Movies: Tenet, Princess Mononoke.
Stage: Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera.
Music: Daft Punk, video game soundtracks, LOW ROAR

My Hideo Kojima name is "The Indifferent Memory Loss"

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

RR529

Started up Sakura Wars this weekend. Not too far into it yet, but I'm liking it so far. There's a lot of talking & dialogue choices, but I knew that going in & it makes a nice change of pace after the nearly constant combat I faced in Dragon Quest Heroes.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Wavey84

Anybody else not feeling Hellblade ?
I love the idea of a viking babe battling severe psychosis and descending straight into hell to find her long lost lover, but not when the game is nothing but a walking simulator with lack luster looking environments and repetitious battles. I'd rather just settle for the cut scenes and call it a day. Fun doesn't apply this one!

Both the 30hz and 60hz modes are disappointing. 60hz mode you'd think would be ideal, but then the visuals wind up looking blurry.

Edited on by Wavey84

Wavey84

Octane

Just a heads up, you'll be able to download Ratchet & Clank (PS4) for free starting next week on March 1.

Octane

Ralizah

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/playstation-vr-...

"What about PlayStation games on PC? A whole slate of them is on the way starting with Days Gone this spring. And as for Sony’s publishing timetable for the year? Well, Covid has been up to no good again and booted Gran Turismo 7 back to 2022. Don’t worry, plans for the Uncharted movie and Last Of Us TV series are very much on track."

Hahaha

Looks like Sony neither believes in generations nor in exclusives anymore.

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)

TheFrenchiestFry

It's nice Sony's using the PC market to essentially advertise PlayStation to people who haven't dipped in yet

Like these games that are coming are probably all going to be strictly PS4 games so they can push more people towards buying a PS5. It was actually pretty smart of them to put Horizon on PC and THEN announce Forbidden West at the PS5 Showcase later

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Grumblevolcano

Looks like the Demon's Souls PC "error" from September likely isn't an error after all.

Grumblevolcano

BruceCM

Heh, I hope it isn't... Not interested in Days Gone but I'll probably like some of the others

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

TheFrenchiestFry

@Grumblevolcano Nah it still is. That was meant for either Deathloop or GhostWire Tokyo because it also said "Not available on other consoles for a limited time" implying Demon's Souls had any chance of going multiplatform at all

TheFrenchiestFry

BruceCM

Deathloop & Ghostwire were always coming to PC, though....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

Ralizah

@TheFrenchiestFry Let's be real, though: releasing Horizon on PC is sending the exact opposite message of "buy our console to play our game." Rather, it communicated that Sony is ready to play ball on PC with some of their larger franchises, and it pays to buy them and wait for more ports to the superior platform. And that approach seems to be paying off.

A few other choice excerpts that say pretty much everything:

I think a few things changed. We find ourselves now in early 2021 with our development studios and the games that they make in better shape than they’ve ever been before. Particularly from the latter half of the PS4 cycle our studios made some wonderful, great games. There’s an opportunity to expose those great games to a wider audience and recognise the economics of game development, which are not always straightforward. The cost of making games goes up with each cycle, as the calibre of the IP has improved. Also, our ease of making it available to non-console owners has grown. So it’s a fairly straightforward decision for us to make.

and

We assessed the exercise in two ways. Firstly, in terms of the straightforward success of the activity of publishing the game on PC, people liked it and they bought it. We also looked at it through the lens of what the PlayStation community thought about it. There was no massive adverse reaction to it. So we will continue to take mission steps in this direction.

I'm not saying they're going to be day and date on PC like Microsoft, but I think Sony is clearly heading toward putting their big games on PC a year or two after release if they don't get any kind of pushback and if the PC money keeps rolling in.

After the first Ori released on Switch and did well, it was kind of hinted that this was supposed to advertise the latest game on Xbox or something. There were articles published about how they were done with the cross-platform ports. But I knew half the battle was already won. The second game came over in due course.

The big hump is getting Sony to publish Playstation-brand games on PC in the first place. From there, things will go their natural course once it becomes clear there's a receptive audience for their content.

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)

TheFrenchiestFry

GIVE ME BABYLON'S FALL

PLEASE

TheFrenchiestFry

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic