Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 14,341 to 14,360 of 16,084

link3710

@Dezzy Oops, didn't even look at the title of the thread.

link3710

yeayeanaynay

I'm ready to buy a PS5. But they are all sold out. How can Sony not keep up with demand? This is building product demand and helping scalpers put there kids through college. Well done Sony..

yeayeanaynay

urrutiap

Im kind of thinking about buying a game or two off of the Playstation 3 PSN store and transferring to my PSP.

Jeanne D'Arc and God of War Ghost of Sparta or one 14.99 game either Ys I and II Collection or at least Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness

urrutiap

RR529

Still working my way through Dragon Quest Heroes. It's decent, but so far one of my least favorite "Warriors" style games.

Know how in most Warriors games you can lose if your main base falls, though that's usually only a threat if you're doing badly & you're instead usually all over a largish map chasing down various objectives? Well, in DQH protecting a singular position like your main base (though in this case usually something like a gate, statue, or even an NPC) is the only objective of a mission.

Maps tend to be smaller & somewhat more maze-like, and you're only objective for a mission is usually to stop waves of enemies from destroying said object. You can manage the tide by summoning friendly monsters in key positions (and later missions introduce further gimmicks such as gates you can open & close to re-route the enemy advance, or warp points on the map that yourself & enemies can use), so it results in a generally much more defensive gameplay loop compared to other titles in the franchise, which hasn't really grown on me.

I do think the boss fights are of a higher quality than what you usually see in other Warriors titles though (and so far usually don't require you to protect something), and cutting down waves of enemies is still pretty fun in itself (and it's a nice break when you do get the odd mission where you're not on protection duty, though those are far & few between the further you get).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

@Losermagnet Yep. It should be next up after RE3, and is one of the games most in need of a remake.

RE4 remake is pointless, considering what made it special is now embedded in the DNA of almost every action game made since.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

urrutiap

couple of games i started playing for my PSP earlier tonight

Wild Arms 2 transferre to my PSP
Xenogears also transferred to my PSP
transferring some songs for Rock Band Unplugged from my Playstation 3 to my PSP

urrutiap

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

RE4 remake is pointless, considering what made it special is now embedded in the DNA of almost every action game made since.

Yeah it's pointless because there's basically nothing they should change about it, except maybe the graphics.
And even there, the graphics have held up incredibly well, and are excellent in creating the atmosphere for the game. It seems far more likely that they'll mess it up than improve it with a remake.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Buizel

@Ralizah @Dezzy As someone who really got into gaming during the sixth gen, it strikes me as really weird that we're at the point now where these games are getting remade.

It is difficult to imagine what they could improve on RE4 in a ground-up remake (I can think of a few tweaks for a remaster - but a remake? Then again, I'm not an RE fan outside of RE4 and I haven't played the recent remakes of 2 and 3). The only games that are as, or more, recent as RE4 that have had remakes that I can think of are Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls. I've not played any of these - how did they manage to improve on the originals?

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

jump

Losermagnet wrote:

The correct option is a Code Veronica remake. It is also very unlikely.

Yeah, the other contender would be Zero which is less fondly remembered than Code Veronica. As already pointed out RE4 and after that is less needed due to it becoming series standardized already.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

BruceCM

Anyone playing the Maiden demo, then ....? They have said other demos will come to other platforms, so I'll get something on Steam for it, at least

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Dezzy

timleon wrote:

The only games that are as, or more, recent as RE4 that have had remakes that I can think of are Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls. I've not played any of these - how did they manage to improve on the originals?

Those were both just graphical remakes. I don't think they changed anything about the basic gameplay in either of them. So RE4 Remake might be quite similar to those.

I don't think RE4 would benefit as much as either of those though. Those were both quite large open-world(ish) type games. Games like that benefit massively from an upgrade, because they were so limited by their original systems.

RE4 on the other hand, is really quite linear and constrained. The most open area in the whole game is probably that village area you reach in the first 5 minutes of the game. It's a really a game that was very well designed within its means though.

Octane

@Solomon18 Because they're dependent on the manufacturers, and surprise, surprise, coronavirus still puts a lot of things on hold. That being said, they sold more during the launch window than they sold PS4s, so there are a good number of them out there. But that's already telling enough, it sold faster than the PS4, during a pandemic. They are available from time to time, but the problem is that there aren't enough of them to deter scalpers from buying up all stock. The situation is dire, I agree, but I don't think it's about meeting demand alone. I know that in the UK they're looking at putting a ban on those bots that are used for scalping, because no human can compete with those. Just be patient, and don't cave in into the scalpers.

Octane

Octane

@timleon @Dezzy Shadow of the Colossus remake has better controls than the original. But yeah, it's mostly a visual upgrade for those games. And to be fair, neither of them aged well!

Octane

Dezzy

Cyberpunk released their 1.1 patch. Based on the comparison videos on youtube, it's made almost no difference to performance. Hmmmm, they need to pull their finger out and get fixing it.

RR529

Recently cleared what I believe was a glitched mission in Dragon Quest Heroes. The mission sees you protecting a barricade from waves of monsters, and for whatever reason the game was considering it a failed mission when it's life bar reached the halfway point (lots of missions have you protecting things, and their life bars start out green, turn yellow when halfway depleted, and red 3/4ths depleted. The game was considering the barricade destroyed when the life bar turned yellow).

I thought I must have been missing something, but after I managed to complete the mission even with the limitation I looked up gameplay of the mission on YouTube and saw a video where they were able to win with the barricade barely holding on in the red, so I can only assume my copy was glitched.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Anti-Matter

@RR529
Wait, i have Dragon Quest Heroes 1 PS4 too.
Was that really serious glitch?
Btw, my copy is Asia version.

Anti-Matter

RR529

@Anti-Matter, I saw a couple discussions on Steam & GameFAQs from people having the same issue with the mission, though they weren't sure if it's a glitch or just a BS scenario (one person speculated that Rockbombs can essentially one shot the barricade if they explode near it, which if true would be BS, though not a glitch if true).

Anyhow the mission is doable, it's just tough, glitch or no.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Buizel

Just finished replaying the Nathan Drake Trilogy with the completion of Uncharted 3.

On my first playthrough I remember Uncharted 3 being my favourite of the trilogy, but now I have mixed thoughts.

As usual, Uncharted 3 is a pretty wild ride and has some excellent gameplay, setpieces, characters and story beats. It covers a diverse range of settings from the Arabian desert, to the London Underground, to wrecked shipyard. Beyond being diverse, the setpieces were incredibly dynamic - including a fight on a falling plane, a horseback gunfight through the desert, and some great city chase scenes. It had some pretty intriguing villains in Marlowe and Talbot, and introduced Charlie Cutter - IMO an underappreciated character who should've made a return in a later installment (Salim was also pretty badass - a shame he never got fleshed out). Plus opening in my home city of London will never not be great (definite bias here).

However I realised I actually remembered a lot more of the first two games than the third - and I think this is the major downside of Uncharted 3. Although the moment-to-moment action is great, the game as a whole lacks cohesion. I think it's quite clear that Naughty Dog wanted to fit all they could into the third installment of the trilogy, even if it resulted in a narrative that is less coherent than the first two games (in a way, because of this, the game is the polar opposite of Uncharted 1, which was comparatively perhaps a bit too limited in scope). In particular, I was surprised at how quickly the game's final scenes played out - although my main criticism of Uncharted 2 is how dragged out its final few scenes are.

All-in-all...I think Uncharted 2 might now be my preferred game, but only slightly.

So that's Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy, 1, 2 and 3 finished in 2021 so far. Now I think I'll move on to Golden Abyss (it'll be my first time with this one)...and I'm done!

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Octane

@timleon You're on a roll, lol! I think I played 1, 2, 3 and TLOU in succession right before 4 came out. I really needed a break after that. I don't think I ever finished to many games in such a short time.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic