Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 11,761 to 11,780 of 16,083

CanisWolfred

@Octane Okay. I might take a chance on it, but we'll see. I might simply add it to my wishlist and wait for another sale, when it doesn't have to compete with Juggernauts for my attention.

(also, this is the 12000th post!)

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

EvilLucario

Maybe I'll finally get God of War 2018. Hopefully that camera system doesn't turn me off when I actually play it.

Also lmao Bloodborne is only $10, $18 with DLC. A steal for a damn fantastic game.

Just picked up DMC5 Deluxe Edition on PC lately for like $40 though. Oof, my wallet.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

-Green-

sony being schrodinger’s cat rn

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Dezzy

I finally got round to playing God of War. I know you were all on the edge of your seats waiting for me to do this.

Pretty great so far. It hasn't yet reached "game of the generation" status, but I'm only about 10 hours in (and I'm doing all of the sidequests), so I can easily imagine that it might.

Positives are:
-The writing is excellent, the story is interesting, the characters are well designed, the pacing is good.
-World design is beautiful.
-Combat is fun.
-The puzzles to unlock the various sidequest chests are well done. Good level of difficulty so you can always figure it out yourself but not too easy.
-Some of the coding of the dialogue is brilliant. There's one point where Krato tells Boy a story on the boat. I interrupted this twice by getting out of the boat. They had different dialogue for resuming the story on 2 different occasions, which was so incredibly realistic. I've never seen a game do that before.

Negatives
-Too many customisation/upgrade options. I really don't need 5 different upgrade trees. Just 1 or 2 is enough.
-Some of the sidequest stuff feels a bit tacked-on. Exploring some of the more open areas doesn't really feel like it fits with the story pacing very well. I naturally want to explore an interesting and attractive world, but it doesn't feel like it's what the characters would actually do in many cases. They needed some rationale added to the story for why Krato might want to upgrade his character. That would've made it more understandable.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy As for your last point, there's definitely in-game dialogue that (tries to) explains the sidetracking.

Octane

Zuljaras

@Dezzy Yes there is TON of lore even about the side tracking. Also it is nice to regularly check the diary of the BOY. He updates it when you make progress even on your side missions (Labours?).

Dezzy

@Octane @Zuljaras

Have I missed something?
Or is it the justification of Boy learning those runes?

Edited on by Dezzy

Octane

@Dezzy Not sure what you mean by that. But in case you're wondering, there's dialogue whenever you opt to do a side quests (well, maybe not every time); with Boy asking Kratos why they're not doing whatever they were supposed to do. And Kratos' answer is something along the lines of ''it'll make you stronger, it'll prepare you for the road ahead''.

Either way, the point is, the developers probably had the same thoughts, so they added some dialogue here and there making fun of the fact that you're doing side quests, while in reality you wouldn't expect Kratos to be fooling around with the side stuff.

Octane

Zuljaras

@Dezzy Actually even the bestiary is updated if you do something different and the quests do as well.
You open it and you see that the BOY is adding more written stuff there as you progress through your labours.

MsJubilee

I can't understand how people are falling for that gameplay reveal for that new star wars game. Looks like a typical third person title with a generic combat system and scripted events.
But its E3, everyone is on that hype high.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

RR529

Probably won't be "Metroidvania" in structure, but the new Star Wars game essentially looks like sci-fi God of War with some Titanfall wall running mixed in.

Of course, EA has time to mess it up, but it looks good.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Octane

@RR529 It looks like Titanfall 2 to me, but with a Star Wars skin. Even the location is eerily similar to the planet from TF2. Had it not been for the light saber, and the lack of, well, titans, I could easily have mistaken it for TF2.

I hope there's more to it than this. It looks good, but it didn't wow me at all.

Octane

redd214

@Octane I have a similar sentiment. Nothing really stood out at all, just looks like a pretty by the numbers 3rd person game with star wars elements. I'm sure it will be good but it didn't look very different from many games we've seen before.

redd214

RR529

Just read over on Push Square that the new Star Wars game will indeed have a more Metroid style world, which is pretty interesting.

Apparently, world design & progression is modelled after Metroid Prime, while combat is most largely influenced by Dark Souls (although more forgiving).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

CanisWolfred

@Tsurii Not quite. A lot of the world is interconnected, but only to make it less blatantly Mega Man "Pick your poison" inspired like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls II were. I couldn't quite tell what direction Dark Souls III went in since I don't have it and apparently no one I knew had much to say about its structure other than, "Bloodborne did it better"...

EDIT: Meanwhile, I'm more interested in Zoink Game's Lost in Random. Fe was surprisingly good (albeit a bit difficult to see at times), and while we didn't get to see much of it, I already can see bits of flair that's leaving me hopeful. I also completely forgot that Sea of Solitude is coming out next month. Not sure if it's something I'd actually want to play, but at least it stands out from the crowd.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

Either way, the point is, the developers probably had the same thoughts, so they added some dialogue here and there making fun of the fact that you're doing side quests, while in reality you wouldn't expect Kratos to be fooling around with the side stuff.

Oh ok. Yeah I did notice that.
I just meant something a bit more substantial as an explanation. Something from the start of the story perhaps, rather than a post-hoc justification.
The idea that Kratos really needed to upgrade isn't really part of the story, given that he fights and beats a God in the first 10 minutes. There's no kind of "I lost my powers and need to recoup them for the battle ahead" type explanation. It feels like all of the sidequest stuff is very much tacked-on for the sake of being a bigger video game. Not for any kind of story necessity.

Tsurii wrote:

Isn't Dark Souls basically already a Metroidvania anyway...?

Only in a really weak sense, and it changes between games. Dark Souls 1 is slightly metroidvania. Dark Souls 3 is much less so.

Edited on by Dezzy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic