Forums

Topic: Star Wars Battlefront II

Posts 101 to 116 of 116

Ralizah

Considering Nintendo's naming conventions as of late (Wii U? New Nintendo 3DS?), the Switch's actual name turned out to be a pleasant surprise. For the first time since the Nintendo 64, the name actually refers to an important aspect of the hardware. Imagine that!

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Dezzy

@Ralizah

Good luck trying to explain how 64-bit was relevant to anything game-related in the 90s. The 64 was pure marketing nonsense. As you can tell by the fact that the original Xbox had a 32-bit processor, despite being more powerful in every way.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

Dezzy wrote:

Good luck trying to explain how 64-bit was relevant to anything game-related in the 90s. The 64 was pure marketing nonsense.

Mmmm... nope. The 64 is in reference to its 64-bit CPU.

I mean, I get what you're saying: the idea that more bits = more power is marketing fluff (at least, once you go over 32 bits), but the name is in reference to a real and very distinguishing aspect of the hardware at the time.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Dezzy

@Ralizah

Of course. I wasn't suggesting they just made the number up. I mean the 64-bit wasn't an important aspect of the hardware. I doubt more than 1 or 2 of their first party games actually made use of the 64-bit floating point arithmetic (if any). And obviously nothing in the 90s needed 64-bit memory addresses (that amount of memory wasn't needed in gaming until around 2005-2010.
If I remember correctly, it was 64-bit because it was just a CPU that was being used in other industries at the time when they happened to be making the console (industries where the increased mathematical accuracy was helpful). So they just decided to spin it as that meant it was more powerful as they guessed correctly that most of the public wouldn't have known that 32-bit was all you need for things like realistic colour and sound.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

RancidVomit86

N64 was kinda pure nonsense. The CPU was "64-bit" but it only had 32-bit bus and not enough cache or memory for any dev to try programming for 64-bit. Instead most of the games were coded for 32-bit. So, any marketing as 64-bit was just like a new blast processing. Sure the Genesis actually had a faster CPU than Nintendo or NEC but it was a marketing gimmick. Kinda like how the N64 is technically 64-bit but it's more of just a marketing gimmick.

The 90's were fun. Companies could say things like this and the mass market didn't understand computers enough yet to dispute it.

Edited on by RancidVomit86

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Deku-Scrub

EA in a nutshell
Untitled

Deku-Scrub

Joycon Boy Forever

Currently Playing:
Switch: Fire Emblem: Three Houses
3DS: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
PS4: Persona 5, Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

kkslider5552000

I realize Battlefront 2 has become really low hanging fruit, but I just realized that Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 is a much better received online EA shooter with microtransactions. THIS GAME IS A LOWER TIER EXAMPLE OF A MICROTRANSACTION FILLED 60 DOLLAR ONLINE SHOOTER THAT IS PUBLISHED BY EA WITH THE NUMBER 2 IN THE TITLE. That's kind of amazing.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

RancidVomit86

Found out the in-laws got me a PS4 Battlefront 2 bundle for Christmas so looks like I'm thrust into this game regardless.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Peek-a-boo

@DarthNocturnal All good things you jotted down there, and is very much like the original Star Ware Battlefront. Spare time is very low for me these days, and I just don’t have it in me to play Battlefront II.

Funnily enough, I played survival split screen co-op with a friend a few weeks ago on the original Battlefront and that game feels so much better than the sequel. I thoroughly dislike the running animation in the new game, and the rolling move is just bizarre. The reason why I liked the original so much is simply because it was an easy and accessible game to play, which the sequel kind of drifted away from.

Thanks for the heads up though. Are you still chipping away on Battlefront II?

Peek-a-boo

DarkRula

It's certainly a good update, but will probably come too late for any real boost in sales to be meaningful. And with this coming this month, I'm hoping the new maps come in April.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

Peek-a-boo

@DarthNocturnal I was lucky enough to play Battlefront with friends who have never played a FPS before, and it was easy to pick up and play. For somebody who put nearly 60-odd hours into the first game, the sequel felt different, and not necessarily in a good way. Personal preference, of course.

And yes, I was referring to how the characters move.

There’s a floatyness about the movement in Battlefront II, and the running animation is comparable to how Faith jogs then breaks into a sprint in Mirror’s Edge Catalyst, whereas running in the original Battlefront was instantaneous. Not a fan of the roll either, but hey-ho!

When this is £9.99 on the PlayStation Store into the foreseeable future, I may take a punt on it and blast my way through the campaign, which I kind of want to play to see how the story unfolds.

Did you enjoy following Iden’s story by any chance?

Peek-a-boo

DarkRula

Anyone still keeping up with this? 'Cus a new mode has just been revealed.

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/128692/community...

Capital Supremacy pits two teams against each other to capture command posts and build a reinforcement tally. When one side hits the required amount, the battle transitions to the enemy capital ship to a battle over the critical systems.

Bad thing about it is - they've been saying for months it's a non-linear mode, yet this looks far from non-linear.

DarkRula

Daloblast

Turns out that its on a different geonosis map and comes with a Commando Droid and ARC trooper.

Daloblast

My Nintendo: Daloblast

DarkRula

The only non-linear part is the land phase at the beginning. The capital ship parts have about as much linearity as a Galactic Assault phase - which is a pretty apt assessment since the phase on the capital ships sounds exactly like a Galactic Assault scenario.

When I think of a non-linear mode, I think of multiple ways of achieving an overall objective - which I admit is bit difficult in making sure it doesn't just appear as some form of conquest. But when conquest isn't even in the game - why not? Take the Elite Squadron example of a conquest mode and implement it into the game as seamless as it can be.

The new mode sounds fun. No question of that. But to my eyes, it isn't non-linear.

DarkRula

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.