Forums

Topic: Youtuber "Arlo" releses interesting video on the Switch's "Soft" launch

Posts 41 to 60 of 81

rallydefault

@Octane
Do we know yet if Splatoon 2 has a new single-player campaign? If it does, then it's firmly a sequel. If it doesn't, then yea, it's basically a port. But reusing "assets, in-game effects and the engine" doesn't automatically make something a port. By that logic, every Assassin's Creed, CoD, Battlefield, Madden, etc. would just be a port of the one before it (heh...though I laugh a little at how tragically true that may actually be).

rallydefault

shaneoh

@iGen
That's actually quite tame compared to a few things I've done/posted, which are best left buried in the depths of the forum. But yes, burn the dog
please note I do not advocate animal cruelty

Edited on by shaneoh

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

LzWinky

Untitled

NOT A PORT!

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

kkslider5552000

Considering the sequel to the game that put Nintendo consoles on the map was in Japan, much less original than this game, yes it is a sequel. Anyone who disagrees ignores like 90% of sequels and should thus be ignored themselves.

Megaman 2-6 are sequels.
Every original Mario Kart after Super (YMMV for the arcade games?) are sequels
Every COD after 1 is a sequel (some of them specifically sequels to later, specific COD games)

Most of them add less dramatic changes to gameplay then what we've seen from Splatoon 2

Thank god Octave doesn't actually believes this qualify as a port. For a second I thought he did, and my brain was gonna explode and die.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Maxz

@rallydefault I'm pretty sure a new single player was confirmed in some interview somewhere.

I think the idea that it's even 'essentially' a port will fall apart as the game gets closer, and will all but crumple when people get their hands on it. I've played it. It doesn't feel like a port. And in the flesh, it doesn't look like it (certainly compared to YouTube).

Even before Mario Kart got an actual port, it was heavily borrowing things from past entries, including half of its levels (although these were often updated beyond recognition - especially in 8). And as people have stated, many games get yearly sequels that aren't exactly built from scratch.

I know the idea that 'Splatoon 2 is a port' fits the argument that 'everything on the Switch is just a Wii U game', but I simply don't think it's true. It's not as big a jump as Odyssey from 3D World or Galaxy 2, but to my mind it's still a bonafide sequel.

One port I am looking forward to is Super Switch Bros. I know the Joy-Cons won't be absolutely perfect, but if you can play the game on a sideways Wiimote, I'm sure they'll work. And two player same-screen multiplayer with one console sounds amazing.

I'm kind of assuming this'll be announced at E3, because... well, something has to be, and I have no imagination.

THEN you can make your 'all Switch games are Wii U games' argument.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Octane

@rallydefault Yeah, there is a new single player campaign. That's why I said 'technically' a port. I know it isn't a true port, but I have no doubt that they used the first game as a base for its sequel (again, nothing wrong with that!). However, it isn't a game they spend three years of development time on, that was the important part of the argument. Like I said, people expected a lot of Switch games, because it seemed that Nintendo held back some Wii U games and ported those to the Switch instead. Meanwhile, Zelda is one of those (albeit with a dual release), Splatoon 2 is, like I said, a relatively low effort project, Mario Kart 8 is a straight up port (with some additional content). Super Mario Odyssey is the first new Mario game after 3D World, with four years between them, so a new 3D Mario game was expected anyway. I think that people, and myself included, just want to know what happened to the Wii U project that were moved to the Switch, because I don't think we've seen those yet. Pikmin 4 comes to mind, and I have no doubt that originally more games were planned as a Wii U title, at least one more game. I expect those to be revealed at E3 though.

Octane

Octane

@Maxz The argument wasn't ''all Switch games are Wii U ports'' though, and I never suggested that. The argument is ''where's my Pikmin 4 and other Wii U project that got moved over?''. And yes, I'm sure we all know the difference between a port and a sequel. Heck, it's called Splatoon TWO, couldn't be more obvious than that. But again, that wasn't my point either.

Octane

Arlo

gcunit wrote:

So @arlo walks among us? I had not realised. I've only seen 2 or 3 of your vids but I like your presentation and production style - simple but polished and effective. And I like the puppet.

I used to post more comments and stuff, I mostly just come for the articles. And thanks!

Arlo

Twitter:

Maxz

@Octane I guess you could call it a 'soft sequel' if you wanted to avoid the argument by inventing new terminology. Quite how soft remains to be seen, but - like you say - probably considerably easier from a development perspective than Mario Odyssey.

And yes, it's part of a very pertinent wider point about what's going on with all the games that presumably were being developed while the Wii U was sizzling in the heat of its drought among droughts.

I think the Wii U drought was partly why people reacted so critically to the Switch around the time of the presentation. It wasn't a bad first year lineup, but I think people were expecting much more than what'd been shown in the first trailer (Splat, Kart, Skyrim, Zelda etc.).

As you say, E3 will be interesting. If they pull it off well, they'll go into Christmas with a solid backlog and the promise of sumptuous future lineup.

The most important thing for now is that they've got the hardware down. And it looks fab.

EDIT: Yeah, it wasn't your argument. Sorry, it must have felt a bit like words being shoved in your mouth. It is an argument I've seen thrown around, so for my own sake I felt like arguing against it, but it wasn't really one you were making. Finishing with "THEN you can make your 'all Switch games are Wii U games' argument'" wasn't exactly tactful either. I was more trying to asset "then one could make THE argument that...", but what I've written is very accusative of you saying something you didn't. So genuine apologies for that.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I basically agree with you on everything. This is just a weirdly roundabout way of saying that.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Arlo

shaneoh wrote:

@arlo the few videos I've seen of yours, I find your arguments worn, tired, and without merit. I have 1TB of download a month, which I never use in its entirety, but I won't be wasting it, or my time, watching your videos. Glad you can accept a dissenting opinion.

Loud and clear my friend. I am SUPER DUPER aware of how much you dislike me, and that is knowledge that I will now have forever.

Arlo

Twitter:

AlexSays

Arlo lets focus on the real issues here...

All you did was take my initials IRL and add an O to the end. You basically owe me like half your subscribers.

AlexSays

LzWinky

AlexSays wrote:

Arlo lets focus on the real issues here...

All you did was take my initials IRL and add an O to the end. You basically owe me like half your subscribers.

And you owe me a "Hello there lovely people" in your best British accent

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AlexSays

I have to make a video now? What do I look like.. a Youtuber?

AlexSays

KirbyTheVampire

Arlo wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

@arlo the few videos I've seen of yours, I find your arguments worn, tired, and without merit. I have 1TB of download a month, which I never use in its entirety, but I won't be wasting it, or my time, watching your videos. Glad you can accept a dissenting opinion.

Loud and clear my friend. I am SUPER DUPER aware of how much you dislike me, and that is knowledge that I will now have forever.

Don't mind the uncalled for rudeness. I find your style of commentary very enjoyable to listen to, and easy on the ears, unlike many YouTubers out there who feel the need to scream incessantly.

KirbyTheVampire

puNINTENDed

I remember buying my Wii in 2008. If launch isnt good the Switch has years to take off. The system already has lots of third party support the Wii U didnt have so I dont think its as bad as people may say.

puNINTENDed

10-zx

@shaneoh

Dog must die. Down with the "wow"s.

Though no sane person actually advocates for animal cruelty, of course...

I am a sane person, but for the record, I personally do not like dogs.

All rights reserved.

Bsham

I got the money but defo not getting it until more games are released. I got my Wii Woo for Zelda, Skyrim was played to death years ago and Bomberman is a noob. And Sonic Mania? REALLY! Sonic is so irrelevant. Although if it was a new Sonic racing then I would be interested. I liked their last effort.

Edited on by Bsham

Bsham

AlexSays

iGen wrote:

Dog must die.

O__O

Casssshhh me ousside bruh, HOW BOW DAH?

AlexSays

skywake

Eh, it's not like there are a lot of fantastic options out there for Nintendo related content on youtube. Especially given the information vacuum regarding the Switch. Of the people doing videos of it semi-regularly Arlo is one of the better ones.

Gamexplain covers everything but they're very long-winded. I swear they have hour long videos sometimes where they say nothing much at all. Spawn Wave is another one, he generally seems to know what he's on about a bit more. Blunty is also making a lot of Switch videos lately but he doesn't really seem to have much of an idea about Nintendo stuff specifically. Arlo is somewhere in the middle.

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.