Forums

Topic: Youtuber "Arlo" releses interesting video on the Switch's "Soft" launch

Posts 21 to 40 of 81

Octane

@KirbyTheVampire Probably, depends on your definition of ''large'' games. Anyway, we're not seeing the result of the years that Wii U development was held back. Zelda is still a Wii U game, Mario Kart is a port of the Wii U game, Splatoon 2, although with a lot more added content and it's been four years since the release of 3D World, so a new Mario game was going to happen anyway. I think many expected to see more after a year (or more) of barely any releases on the Wii U, and I understand that. We still don't know what's up with Pikmin 4, Retro's Project or any of the other countless studios that haven't released anything in a good while.

Octane

kkslider5552000

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

I feel like the first year is a little disappointing. Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, and Mario Kart are all gonna be great games, but I was hoping for a little more. Does Nintendo usually only release 4 large first party games in a year?

By your standards, I'm not sure any company has released more than 4 "large" games in a year ever. Not recently anyway. Maybe EA since they always have sports games that sell a ton no matter what.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Joeynator3000

Yeah, maybe if they released it in the summer, or something...still feels like they keep rushing the system.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/joeynator3001

KirbyTheVampire

kkslider5552000 wrote:

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

I feel like the first year is a little disappointing. Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, and Mario Kart are all gonna be great games, but I was hoping for a little more. Does Nintendo usually only release 4 large first party games in a year?

By your standards, I'm not sure any company has released more than 4 "large" games in a year ever. Not recently anyway. Maybe EA since they always have sports games that sell a ton no matter what.

Well for one thing, I only started following Nintendo, and the gaming industry in general, when the Switch was announced. Before that I really didn't pay much attention to things like how many games they release per year (that really goes for any other game company, too), especially since the last system of theirs I ever owned was the Wii, and I was like 7 or so when that came out. I realize that game development is a lengthy and expensive process, but I just figured after Wii U game development pretty much came to a halt that there would be at least 5 large games in the first year, moreso after LKD was hyping up this epic first year lineup, and especially considering the fact that MK8D is practically just a port save for the battle mode and new characters, and because Splatoon 2 reused a lot of old assets. Plus, Breath of the Wild has been in development for years, and was originally supposed to just be a Wii U game.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

TuVictus

I want my fricken Pikmin 4, Miyamoto. Where is it? Where is this "Almost complete" game?????

TuVictus

gcunit

How about we all drop this 'bitter' part of the conversation before we nuke the accounts of everyone involved for being so petty...

So @arlo walks among us? I had not realised. I've only seen 2 or 3 of your vids but I like your presentation and production style - simple but polished and effective. And I like the puppet.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Joeynator3000

Unless he's.....AN IMPOSTOR!!!!!

Edited on by Joeynator3000

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/joeynator3001

shaneoh

gcunit wrote:

How about we all drop this 'bitter' part of the conversation before we nuke the accounts of everyone involved for being so petty...

All the... stuff I've posted on this site and a little thing like exaggerating my dislike of a youtube channel is the thing that would get me banned XD.

@arlo the few videos I've seen of yours, I find your arguments worn, tired, and without merit. I have 1TB of download a month, which I never use in its entirety, but I won't be wasting it, or my time, watching your videos. Glad you can accept a dissenting opinion.

@Joeynator3000
Set fire to that dog while we're at it.

Edited on by shaneoh

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

LzWinky

Nicolai wrote:

It's a reasonable business decision for small business, new ventures... it's the kind of thing Nintendo might have done for their QOL platform, but... any brand new Nintendo console can't be released quietly. They wouldn't have anything to gain from doing it.

Actually they have a lot.

Releasing in March allows the day 1 adopters to buy the Switch out, allowing others to wait until more games get released. When said games come out (like Splatoon or Mario Kart), those will now buy a Switch, which should be more available. Lastly, parents can buy it during the holidays once all the buzz is out.

I'd like to think of this launch in phases.

The Nintendo video game console business is such a hype fest; and with partner companies watching their every move, the best thing to do is sell as many as possible right off the bat.

I disagree. The PS3 and 3DS have shown us that slow starts can still be successful.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Joeynator3000

It was the best video I could find, shush. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/joeynator3001

Nicolai

TheLZdragon wrote:

Nicolai wrote:

It's a reasonable business decision for small business, new ventures... it's the kind of thing Nintendo might have done for their QOL platform, but... any brand new Nintendo console can't be released quietly. They wouldn't have anything to gain from doing it.

Actually they have a lot.

Releasing in March allows the day 1 adopters to buy the Switch out, allowing others to wait until more games get released. When said games come out (like Splatoon or Mario Kart), those will now buy a Switch, which should be more available. Lastly, parents can buy it during the holidays once all the buzz is out.

I'd like to think of this launch in phases.

I... guess it depends on what you consider soft... I have a hard time actually disagreeing with this, because you're right: Nintendo is selling out now and selling more later. They have few games now and are coming out with more later. But I don't think I can really consider March to be a soft launch when a new Zelda game is day one. And I can't really consider the initial launch to be "soft" or "quiet" because there's so much buzz around the Switch right now. It doesn't feel quiet at all. They had an official presentation, and grandly announced the release date. They had a Superbowl commercial for cryin' out loud.

And I think if Nintendo had the choice to produce 3 times the consoles so that families could buy it for their kids day one, they would, and that the reason they're releasing it now and not in the holidays is because they need profits fast. And games releases are spread out throughout the year to illude the appearance of a software drought.

You're not entirely wrong, but I hesitate to call it a soft launch. And I think, had the Wii U done a bit better, we wouldn't be seeing this same situation we're in now. I don't think Nintendo sees the lack of day-one titles as a benefit.

The Nintendo video game console business is such a hype fest; and with partner companies watching their every move, the best thing to do is sell as many as possible right off the bat.

I disagree. The PS3 and 3DS have shown us that slow starts can still be successful.

I think the difference here is that the PS3 and 3DS were preceded by runaway successes, and didn't quite have the eyes of wary 3rd party support companies on them. Right now, everyone's waiting to see if the Switch is just another Wii U.

Getting married in August.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

LzWinky

Well by this Breath of the Wild logic, PS4 must have had no big games at launch either since most of them were also on the PS3.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

gcunit

@Nicolai Zelda being the Day 1 game is down to the pretty intolerable delay they imposed on Wii U owners, not because they pulled out all the stops to give the Switch a rockin' start to life.

If Mario Odyssey had been the launch title then I might have been a bit more inclined to agree with you, but BotW should have landed 18 months ago. In some ways it's more like they looked at the situation in 2015 and said, "We've got to delay Zelda for the NX launch because we've got nothing else." To which someone else said, "Yeh, that'll then but us 2 years to come up with something new"... except that, apart from ARMS, we're getting what are essentially ports of 2 of the most popular Wii U games instead.

I know that's the negative soon on it all, and it's not completely how I feel about things, I'm hyped for Switch and hyped for Zelda, but I'm yet to be convinced that Nintendo has everything under control.

Edited on by gcunit

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

rallydefault

TheLZdragon wrote:

Well by this Breath of the Wild logic, PS4 must have had no big games at launch either since most of them were also on the PS3.

The PS4 didn't have any big games at launch.
...
You meant that as an honest statement, right? Because it really didn't lol

Technically speaking, this does not fit the definition of a "soft launch." A Super Bowl commercial does not a soft launch make. People are just trying to explain why the Switch isn't launching with 5 first-party AAA games. The notion that this is ridiculous to expect in the first place doesn't seem to have crossed many minds.

You also have the stigma that ARMS, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to be counting as a "real" or "big" game in most gamers' minds. Sort of how Bomberman R "doesn't count" as a "big" launch title because, well... I'm not really sure.

I chalk it up to my recurring theme: a slow, creeping insanity amongst gaming forums on the internet. I think we're nearing saturation level of anger, angst, bias, double standards, etc. We're going to eat each other alive within a couple years at this rate.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

LzWinky

gcunit wrote:

@Nicolai Zelda being the Day 1 game is down to the pretty intolerable delay they imposed on Wii U owners, not because they pulled out all the stops to give the Switch a rockin' start to life.

No, they pulled all the stops. Wii U owners just had to suffer for it

If Mario Odyssey had been the launch title then I might have been a bit more inclined to agree with you, but BotW should have landed 18 months ago.

And 18 months later we'll be talking about how the Switch got a Wii U port and how its launch was bad.

In some ways it's more like they looked at the situation in 2015 and said, "We've got to delay Zelda for the NX launch because we've got nothing else." To which someone else said, "Yeh, that'll then but us 2 years to come up with something new"... except that, apart from ARMS, we're getting what are essentially ports of 2 of the most popular Wii U games instead.

Splatoon 2 is not a port. It's a sequel. Why do you keep calling it a port? A game with new content is NOT a port. And no, it's not "essentially" a port either.

I know that's the negative soon on it all, and it's not completely how I feel about things, I'm hyped for Switch and hyped for Zelda, but I'm yet to be convinced that Nintendo has everything under control.

Well of course they don't have everything under control. No one can control everything. At the same time, getting 4 big games on the first year is huge for the Switch. Very few if any Nintendo consoles got this strong of a Nintendo launch.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Octane

@TheLZdragon Splatoon 2 IS a sequel; however, that doesn't take away the fact that it's 'essentially' (whether you like the word or not ) a port of the Wii U game with new content. They reused most of the assets, the engine already existed, etc. In that sense, they 'ported' most of the assets, in-game effects and the engine. I think it's believable that the Splatoon team made this in about a year or so, starting after the updates for Splatoon ended. It was a relatively low effort project. More work than the MK8 port, but not as much as a new game like ARMS or Mario Odyssey.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that at all. It's an easy and quick solution to cover the gaps in the release schedule. And in the case of Splatoon 2, it's even a full sequel with a new single player mode. However, I don't think that that's what this argument was about. Remember when everyone said that the Wii U wasn't getting any games anymore because all of them were moved over to the 'NX'? Like that Pikmin 4 game for example. We haven't seen the results of that yet, so I think those games are still coming.

Octane

TuVictus

I think ^^^^^Octane has shared my thoughts in a much better way than I could have.

But I will say the game every month and a half or so until Christmas seems like a nice, healthy schedule for the switchs first year.

TuVictus

10-zx

@Arlo

Love your videos, they can be really funny.

Are you on Nintendo Life much?

All rights reserved.

10-zx

@shaneoh

"All the... stuff I've posted on this site"

...Right, like proudly advocating that there is 100% nothing wrong at all with regular men wearing purses.

Aside from that, I do agree with you considering your third reply. Doge needs to be burned. Doge must die. Such wow, much incoherent sentences.

Edited on by 10-zx

All rights reserved.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.