Forums

Topic: Why Would Wii U Owners Be Burned if NX Home Console Launches In 2016?

Posts 61 to 80 of 170

Grumblevolcano

skywake wrote:

WebHead wrote:

Not to be mean but with the evidence and leaks being legit, I think anyone that denies it at this point is due to emotional investment in Wii u.

None of the leaks said NX was a home console. That was speculation tacked on the end. The leak for what it was worth listed games largely already known. The source said nothing about what the NX was

Well the SMD leak said Zelda U is coming to NX so that pretty much confirms home console if true.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Grumblevolcano: I don't think the leak specifically mentioned Zelda U. "Zelda is a launch title" was what it said iirc.

Octane

WebHead

@Octane: it's obviously Zelda U. Come on dude.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Octane

@WebHead: Yeah, I get that was what he was probably refering to, but since he never said it out loud, you can take that however you want.

Octane

Rumorlife

Isn't it still a rumor that the NX is a hybrid of sorts? One day they showed the drawing of the prototype controller with the screen and everyone took off and claims it's a fact that it's a hybrid system. Unless there's proof right now, I can't wait for it to just be WiiU2 and have everyone get pissed off that their "factual" rumor wasn't true.

Rumorlife

haigh1011

Why do people seemed so concerned about 3rd party support? Buy a PS4 or XBONE, geez I buy nintendo console only for Nintendo 1st party game that I can't get anywhere else and i'm happy with that. Yes I liked my Wii U but it was a failure, Why can't people just let go

haigh1011

Octane

haigh1011 wrote:

Why do people seemed so concerned about 3rd party support? Buy a PS4 or XBONE, geez I buy nintendo console only for Nintendo 1st party game that I can't get anywhere else and i'm happy with that. Yes I liked my Wii U but it was a failure, Why can't people just let go

No third party support = low sales = another commercial ''failure''.

Octane

haigh1011

@Octane: The Wii had pretty good sales from what i've seen and it didn't have many 3rd party games

haigh1011

UGXwolf

@haigh1011: Didn't have many 3rd party games? It was swimming in them. You don't remember all the complaints of shovelware on the system? Just because 3rd party isn't what the system was known for doesn't mean there wasn't any. There was more of 3rd party support than there was of 1st party support. The 1st party games just had a tendency to be /good/ where the 3rd parties games didn't.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

haigh1011

@UGXwolf: Ok true now I look back it did have a few 3rd parties games, but thats not what it was known for, I don't know anyone who played call of duty or fifa on the Wii

Edited on by haigh1011

haigh1011

LzWinky

WebHead wrote:

@TingLz: i think we should all agree that something NX is launching this november. Nintendo is noticeably really stacking up the first half of the year.

Well we can say that, but we don't know for 100% sure. It is possible though

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Ryu_Niiyama

@TheLastLugia: With the internet being front and center as the means to information and with media mostly being unbiased (just an acknowledgement) gaming is more peer pressure than ever. People look to the company with the most articles or the flashiest ads and they do very little research. They look at what their friends are playing online. Also the few genre gamer (FPS, sandbox usually GTA, Sports) is on the rise. They person that consistently buys the same 5 games every year and those games aren't on Nintendo. They may have fun playing other games but they have no idea how to get started (I'm meeting more of those people now in my adult years than ever). Also people seem to be more resistant than ever to buy more than one console. That, I blame on consoles becoming media centers (I can watch netflix and hulu on it, why doesn't it have all the games I want to play?-seems to be the mindset). It almost feels like there is too much choice. In the 90's we had more consoles but only a few of them were front and center (who remembers the 3do, or the jaguar, or the Neo Geo-holiest of all systems?) so it was less overwhelming. Also its not like kids do research either, they get what their friends are buying. Heck I'm sure I only research games the way I do because I had to present my case like a lawyer for every game I wanted growing up.

@skywake the 3ds is propped up by old RPGs at that. Everything that is coming out has been in at least Japan for some time and they aren't really getting new things to replace those games. Barring Pokemon of course. I love the 3ds but if any hardware has reached its sunset it is the little clamshell of might. I say slap a better c stick on it, beef up the graphics, and keep the rest of the n3ds features (like the nfc reader) and let's go. I wish they'd make an add on for the wiiu the play 3ds games before its done though. My one pipe dream that I hold on to.

I still say that unless Nintendo cranks out some reliable 3rd party support (from western devs at least) and they have a hard hitting marketing campaign sunseting the wiiu too early would be a bad idea. I still say the 3ds should go first. Which is going to take money. They are going to need to back a few of the resistant devs...get the lawyer ninjas on it to make something in their favor but they have to invest. The sea of Japanese devs is shrinking, and the number of IPs they are willing to trot out are also shrinking.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

iKhan

UGXwolf wrote:

Don't even try that. The Wii was appealing to 3rd parties because of its install base. If the Wii U had sold Wii numbers, I bet the 3rd parties would be falling over themselves trying to pick it up right now.

But why did the Wii have the install base it did? A large part of that was a strong launch lineup and an intriguing concept.

Ultimately, I agree with you and @skywake that the chances of a new console's success are MUCH smaller in 2016. As an armchair analyst I think launching a new console this year is a terrible idea.

But as a fan who felt extremely burned by the Wii U, a refresh couldn't come sooner.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Grumblevolcano

@iKhan: Lets be realistic here, the Wii would've still been very successful if the only 1st party game in the launch window was Wii Sports.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

iKhan wrote:

But as a fan who felt extremely burned by the Wii U, a refresh couldn't come sooner.

I thought you didn't own one?

But yeah, I have to agree with Grumblevolcano; Wii Sports sold the Wii. I don't think think it would've made a huge difference if the other launch games were different.

Octane

WebHead

Tbh I've decided that this is my last post here in the nx forum section until new official info comes. You guys are stubborn AF. To the point where I literally think it can be announced for 2016 tomorrow and you'd still deny it. Good day and feel free to lock.

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

iKhan

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Lets be realistic here, the Wii would've still been very successful if the only 1st party game in the launch window was Wii Sports.

I think Wii Sports was a big part of it, but I don't think it's fair to attribute the launch success to that and that alone.

The Wii had a lot of solid games in the first year that kept gamers and Nintendo fans intrigued. Twilight Princess, Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, Battalion Wars 2, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, and Mario Strikers Charged all came out within a year of the system's launch.

On the casual front, Wario Ware, Wii Play, Mario Party 8, and Mario & Sonic Olympics 1 also showed up in that window.

That's not even mentioning the huge diversity of titles available at launch from Call of Duty, to Need for Speed, to Super Monkey Ball, to Marvel Ultimate Alliance

To put it another way, Wii Sports combined with the motion controls was the kindling, but there was PLENTY wood to keep the fire burning.

@Octane
I don't own one because I've been so heavily disappointed.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

DefHalan

Let me answer the question first, "Why would Wii U owners be burned if the NX Home Console launches in 2016?" Their investment is cut short and they might see it as money wasted. They invested into the system and with the system being replaced early, some might see as their investment not paying off.

There is a big problem with how the question is structured, we are only looking at 12 million people. The question should be structured to target possible customers of the NX, all of them. So instead of asking how the Wii U being replaced this year would affect Wii U owners, we should be looking at what a shortened console lifespan and a mid-generation launch would affect the NX Home Console launch?

If Nintendo can have a clear message and make sure people understand what they are doing, then Nintendo has a chance. Cutting a console lifespan early can be harmful to the next system. It makes people hesitant to support the new system in fear of it being replaced and their investment being wasted.

Nintendo releasing a new console in the middle of the current generation, what will it identify as? Doing this is risky, will it be replaced when Microsoft and Sony and replacing their systems? Will consumers be interested in another console, if it is getting the same third party as the other two systems? Will it continue to get 3rd party support if Microsoft and Sony release more powerful systems? How future proof can they make a Half-Gen Console? The only way I see a half-gen console working is if Nintendo commits to releasing half-gen systems from now on. They can make sure their system is powerful enough to guarantee "current gen" 3rd party and continue to get support until halfway through the next generation, keep getting ports until they release a new console. That will be difficult to keep going but it could be possible.

I see a lot more risk in replacing the Wii U now rather than continuing to make software that sells well, even on a "failing" system. If Nintendo can continue to make successes like Splatoon, Hyrule Warriors, or Mario 3D World, then they can still ride this generation out until they are in better footing to launch a new system against Microsoft and Sony's next gen systems.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

shaneoh

@DefHalan:
Eloquently put. Can't say I'd be interested in half gen consoles, that's getting too close to the Apple mentality (yes I know other companies release yearly too).

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

rallydefault

@DefHalan: I think you're being a little too one-sided.

"The only way I see a half-gen console working is if Nintendo commits to releasing half-gen systems from now on." -@DefHalan

I mean... that's an insane statement, man. Seriously wonky stuff, right there. There is absolutely zero truth to that. It is clearly just your opinion, but it's the very definition of an overreaction and an alarmist statement.

It's very possible for Nintendo to "normalize" back to the competition after releasing the NX, especially if Sony/Microsoft hold true to their desire to create longer console generations (not 10 years, for sure, but maybe 7 or 8 years).

I also think you grossly overestimate the number of people who will lose confidence in Nintendo for doing this.

rallydefault

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.