Forums

Topic: Why Would Wii U Owners Be Burned if NX Home Console Launches In 2016?

Posts 141 to 160 of 170

UGXwolf

@rallydefault: The word you want there is "quota." But regardless, that would, IF WE KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT THE NX. But there is one point you grazed there that's actually entirely valid. I /am/ here. Why? Because there's no hype to follow. A little bit of "yeah, woo, Pokken-Fox-Zero" and a lot of "when are we gonna hear more about Zelda U?" I'm here because nothing is happening, and that gives the NX a window to sit in. Smash is done, Splatoon is winding down, Hyrule Warriors might pick up a hype train, soon, but otherwise, this is looking to be a very uneventful year for Nintendo.

That said, I wouldn't mind it that way. Take that extra year to focus on getting the NX ready for a powerful launch so that we don't stumble onto the next console with every single one of the same issues we have on the current one. Would it be an awful year for Nintendo business-wise? Probably, but at least they'd have the time to regroup and come back at it full force when they /do/ launch a new system.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

DefHalan

@WebHead: Because it would quick and wouldn't require a lot of power, so if the NX isn't a Wii U replacement then something that requires less power would make sense. Even if the NX is a Wii U replacement they might want something that showcases their Online Multiplayer features (Tri-Force Heroes HD) or their larger downloadable games (something similar to ALBW)

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

rallydefault

@UGXwolf: Nah, I wanted quotient.

"the result of division"

You're dividing the hype per month into the total months of the year. Of course, only every second Wednesday of even-numbered months whose name reminds you of the color blue counts toward the "hype train," so really, we're just left with earthworms.

Erm.

I was making fun of you, man. I know it's hard to pick up on the internet, but I was being sarcastic. This whole "not enough time for the hype" notion is ridiculous. There's no formula. There are no metrics for how long "hype" needs to build. And on that note, let's please get rid of the word "hype" from the internet in general. If I tune to another Twitch channel to hear a 20-something guy or girl use the word "hype" 15 times in a minute, I'm going to throw my fish taco dinner right out this nonexistent window.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

iKhan

Ugh c'mon guys, you are literally arguing about semantics and minor differences. This isn't GameFAQs, lets have a meaningful discussion.

Going back to the topic at hand. I feel that Nintendo could reduce the impact on Wii U owners (if NX is a console in 2016) if they followed a similar strategy to Sony with the PS4 and release games cross platform for a year. This gives Wii U owners time to transition, while providing new games to new system owners. I don't think too many Non-Wii U-Owning NX owners would feel burned, as we probably weren't going to buy the Wii U anyway.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

DefHalan

@iKhan: I still expect backwards compatibility too lol

Grumblevolcano

@iKhan: If that strategy is used, a upgrade program should also be in place. CoD Ghosts and Advanced Warfare are good examples of this. If you own the last gen version you can get the current gen version for £10 (I think it was that price?) for a certain timeframe. Also if you bought the season pass on last gen you could get it on current gen for absolutely free.

Of course none of this is realistic in the world of Nintendo where SNES games cost ~£7 on New 3DS even if you already own them on Wii U.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

iKhan

DefHalan wrote:

I still expect backwards compatibility too lol

Agreed. No BC is a dealbreaker for me at launch. Even if Zelda U comes to NX, I'll buy a Wii U to play Zelda and sell it later.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

haigh1011

Backward compatibility isn't nessecary, the only thing I hope is they sort their online shop out so I don't have to buy VC games for a 3rd time

haigh1011

skywake

WebHead wrote:

@DefHalan: what other Zelda would it be? Come on people.

This isn't the mid 90s where they didn't release a single Zelda game for five years. We seem to be getting a Zelda game of one kind or another every year. Most years more than one. Even if this rumour is true there's no reason why it has to be Zelda U.

Again I point to the specific wording of what was said and throw it at the 3DS. In 2009 you could have said that Nintendo plan to launch their next console with a Zelda game. You would have been right but people would not have guessed what it actually was. People would have assumed you meant Skyward Sword and some kind of "Wii HD". Of course it was actually the 3DS and Ocarina of Time 3D.

DefHalan wrote:

@iKhan: I still expect backwards compatibility too lol

I wouldn't hold my breath. At this point they're the only platform that's still PPC based which wasn't a bad thing during the PS3/360 transition era. It's not really worth it now though. Especially if the intent is to get third party support and make things easier for developers. They want ports from PC/PS4/XBOne not ports from WiiU/360/PS3. The only downside with x86 is that they'd have to emulate Wii U content if they want it to run. Not that that's impossible but don't think it'd be as simple as dropping a disk in on day 1.

For a portable I can't see any reason why they'd move away from ARM. If it's a portable then assuming they keep the cartridge design similar there shouldn't be the same sorts of hurdles. They'll probably drop DS backwards compatibility but I see no reason why it wouldn't support 3DS content. Especially given the momentum "last-gen" Pokemon brings.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

rallydefault

Boo - no to the backwards compatibility. Make people buy your old machines if they want to play the games so badly.

And in our case, we all own Wii Us, right?! Why the heck are you already talking about backwards compatibility?! You want to get a brand-new console to play old games? I'll never understand that mindset.

I mean, I can KIND of see some guy who never bought a Wii U but has heard "great things" about Bayonetta 2 or something. But the guy doesn't want to buy a Wii U just for that. Ok - I can kind of see that. Fine. But for people like us who ALREADY OWN THE PREVIOUS CONSOLE, why does this matter? WHY? Why do you want an NX to play Wii U games?!

Man, and people thinking believing some of these rumors is illogical. I can't wait to see the fevered rationalizing on this one.

rallydefault

DefHalan

@rallydefault: I only have 2 HDMI slots on my TV and no open Outlets near my entertainment center, I don't have the space to have multiple generations of consoles to hook up. Also, do you really want them to start VC all over again, or would you rather them just continue from where they left off?

I don't think I will ever understand people that don't want to be able to access older games without having to hunt down expensive old systems.

haigh1011

VC is the only reason I want to see backward compatilbilty. Buying the game twice was silly not too mention you couldn't bring VC saved data to the Wii U

haigh1011

iKhan

rallydefault wrote:

Boo - no to the backwards compatibility. Make people buy your old machines if they want to play the games so badly.

And in our case, we all own Wii Us, right?! Why the heck are you already talking about backwards compatibility?! You want to get a brand-new console to play old games? I'll never understand that mindset.

I mean, I can KIND of see some guy who never bought a Wii U but has heard "great things" about Bayonetta 2 or something. But the guy doesn't want to buy a Wii U just for that. Ok - I can kind of see that. Fine. But for people like us who ALREADY OWN THE PREVIOUS CONSOLE, why does this matter? WHY? Why do you want an NX to play Wii U games?!

Man, and people thinking believing some of these rumors is illogical. I can't wait to see the fevered rationalizing on this one.

Don't have a Wii U. I'm not buying a console to play a maximum of 9 games in it's lifetime. But some of those games like Wonderful 101, Xenoblade X, and Zelda U I REALLY want to play. No BC basically means I can't play those games, so of course I'll be upset.

But Nintendo doesn't care about me. But they do care about launch sales and momentum, and I really do think that BC helps with that. I'm not interested in buying an NX full price at launch and then waiting a few months between every game I want (it was like that for PS4 and XB1 too). But if I have a backcatalog of a few Wii U BC games, I'll have something to keep me going.

Grumblevolcano

@iKhan: Yeah, the lack of BC was one of the main reasons why it took 1 and a half years for me to want an XB1.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

haigh1011 wrote:

VC is the only reason I want to see backward compatilbilty. Buying the game twice was silly not too mention you couldn't bring VC saved data to the Wii U

I would guess this won't be an issue with their next generation systems. Remember that the 3DS eShop was built without a universal ID system in mind. The only cross-buy that does exist on Nintendo is through codes. The Wii U eShop on the other hand has had various discounts based on your purchase history from day 1.

I don't expect backwards compatibility from their next home console. I do expect cross-buy and my previous purchases to be remembered in some way. Like 360 support the on the XBone. I downloaded Mario Kart 8, when they sell it again I shouldn't have to pay full price. It should be free for me or at the absolute most just a small upgrade fee.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Joeynator3000

lol...this again huh?

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

rallydefault

@iKhan: I definitely think BC helps, I agree. I don't think any company owes it to us, but it does help. And I can see, especially in this case where lots of people didn't buy a Wii U, that it may come up as a "want" for many people. I get that, I really do. But this nauseating "we deserve this" rising from the bowels of gamers these days just makes my heart palpitate.

P.S. - You don't own a Wii U? Woof, man. Woof.

P.P.S. - If @skywake's "crossbuy" system would happen with NX, I will be very happy. The way Xbox One is doing it now is perfect. Can't say I've really gone back and played any old games for a substantial amount of time, but it's nice to see them there? I guess? Kind of like... uhm... something you like but will never actually use? Yea, I don't know lol

rallydefault

Andrzej777

In regard to BC. I started with the Wii U and the 3ds about one and a half years ago - I was fully aware back in the day that the wii u is basically a sinking ship. That was OK to me as I was into the whole nintendo experience (didnt regret until this day). I thought I could get the wii u and experience all the wii titles, I could get the 3ds and experience all ds titles, and thanks to the virtua console experience games of even older console generations - I had a blast playing through a couple of games, basically just a couple because mk8 has really caught me - long story short I have a huge backlog of games which I feel no rush to play. That said if the nx launches and it doesnt have bc going back to the wii and the ds (assuming its a hybrid console) then I dont think I am gonna get it right away cause I will need at least 2 spare wii u consoles and at least 2 spare new 3ds consoles. Just to be on the safe side in case my current consoles break etc. A fully backwards compatible nx systems would really help me out and I would take the risk of buying it at launch period - otherwise I will need to wait at least a year or two.

Andrzej777

Blast

I love my Wii U but its time for a much more powerful Nintendo console that is actually up to high standards.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

OptometristLime

DefHalan wrote:

@rallydefault: I only have 2 HDMI slots on my TV and no open Outlets near my entertainment center, I don't have the space to have multiple generations of consoles to hook up. Also, do you really want them to start VC all over again, or would you rather them just continue from where they left off?

I don't think I will ever understand people that don't want to be able to access older games without having to hunt down expensive old systems.

So is the reason space, or power supply, or HD link-ups...

Old consoles don't use HDMI tbh and you can easily obtain a power strip.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.