Forums

Topic: What game do you think Retro Studios is working on?

Posts 101 to 118 of 118

kkslider5552000

I'd be fine with that, but I don't want Retro doing it. Purely because it means more time away from making an actual Metroid Prime 4 that plays like Metroid Prime instead of FPS #94404 with some Metroid elements (aka Hunters). Also Hunters wasn't made by Retro anyway...

Blizzard should just port Overwatch. They clearly want it to be the FPS of the generation, put it on everything. They have little excuse for a bad port considering the billions of dollars and brilliant developers behind them (and also that Overwatch relies on aesthetic and a graphical downgrade would not be as difficult for a PC game that already relies on a variety of settings for various machines).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CrazedCavalier

@kkslider5552000 Watch it, I liked Hunters (well, despite there only really being two bosses).

@Frosty_09 If they do another first-person Metroid game, give people options-- I deliberately paid more to get the stuff needed (memory card, gamecube controller, and game itself) to play the GC version of Metroid Prime rather than buy the Prime trilogy used because motion controls in shooters absolutely don't work for me.

Edited on by CrazedCavalier

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

Grumblevolcano

@CrazedCavalier Well there's 2 types of motion controls:
1. Wii style - This is where you'd have the 2 Joy-con acting as basically a vastly improved Wii Remote + Nunchuk.
2. Splatoon style - This is where you'd have slight movements helping for stuff like camera controls, can be turned off if you want

ARMS seems to have the first type as the main control scheme meanwhile of course Splatoon 2 has the 2nd type.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haru17

Gyroscope controls always feel oversensitive to me. Probably because you can never reset the position of the controller, and your hands have a limited range within which they can hold the controller effectively.

Metroid Prime 3's wiimote aiming was the absolute best I've ever played a first-person shooter. They're so intuitive, precise, and effortless if you just open yourself to them. You can literally just sit the wiimote in your lap and tilt it lazily to pull off some of the most precise shooting in games. I had almost forgotten that reason to be excited for Metroid Prime on Switch — aiming controls can only get better now that the sensor bar has been internalized and the tech upgraded. A multiplayer mode with everyone using post-MP3 aiming would be really interesting. Inevitably though they'll have a dual analogue stick control option too since the Switch controller archetype is more equipped for that than the wiimote and nunchuck.

In any case it's interesting, because Metroid Prime 4 (hypothetical placeholder title) could be another Switch game like ARMS where the most accurate control set up is with the Joy-Cons separated in each hand.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

TuVictus

That brings up something I hope happens for games like Metroid Prime or Pikmin going forward: Optional pointer controls. Both franchises have pretty much unanimously found the epitome of their control schemes with the Wii remote, so I'm hoping they recognize this and keep them around for any subsequent Switch sequels. Lucky for us there's no reason not to since the joy con can double as Wii Remotes +'s.

TuVictus

kkslider5552000

CrazedCavalier wrote:

@kkslider5552000 Watch it, I liked Hunters (well, despite there only really being two bosses).

That wasn't a diss (mostly). Metroid Prime Hunters is...an FPS that has some Metroid elements. It's a GOOD FPS that has Metroid elements, but that's what it is. Fairly different from the main Prime series. And tbh, that's probably why the multiplayer is good.

But I don't want Metroid Prime 4 to be Hunters 2. And even with how large Retro Studios is, I have my doubts they could make a good online FPS mode without taking too much time/effort away from a quality single player Metroid Prime game. I also doubt Metroid is high enough of a priority to make 2 separate Switch games (at least anytime soon).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

TuVictus

Oh geez, Metroid with destiny like gameplay for multiplayer? I'd never stop playing

TuVictus

Octane

@Haru17 Well you can. I don't think anyone really uses gyro controls as a substitute for regular controls. They're for fine-tuning. There's no need for ''resetting'' it when you can also use the right analog stick. I find that analog controls are often way too sensitive and not precise. The gyro controls are definitely precise, and that's why the combination of both makes for a great control scheme imo.

Octane

CrazedCavalier

@DarthNocturnal They made Destiny, which got delayed over a year (was meant to be a current gen launch title, released in fall 2014) because they fired the lead writer and had to gut the campaign written around it (because it was too substantial compared to the generic "we're just getting started" deal in the final game).
Oh, and the composer (Marty O'donnell) got fired right before release and the remaining founding member (Jason Jones) left soon after, because there was a movement on the board of trustees to sell out to Activision and they were systematically firing people until they could get a majority vote.

TL;DR Bungie's a mess and not what it used to be-- it's just one of Activision's dev houses now.
Heck, I'd say there's more of Bungie left in 343I than in current day Bungie.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

Pigeon

Frosty_09 wrote:

Also I'm more interested in seeing how well the motion controls will play out in a FPS game than the two analog sticks, since the Joy-Cons has similar if not better capabilities than the Wii Motes. In my opinion, I believe that motion controls has the edge over dual-analog stick controls.

That could actually cause an issue.

If motion controls have the edge over dual-analog, then what with this do for online matches that pit home console players using the former method directly against handheld players using the latter?

Pigeon

Haru17

Pigeon wrote:

Frosty_09 wrote:

Also I'm more interested in seeing how well the motion controls will play out in a FPS game than the two analog sticks, since the Joy-Cons has similar if not better capabilities than the Wii Motes. In my opinion, I believe that motion controls has the edge over dual-analog stick controls.

That could actually cause an issue.

If motion controls have the edge over dual-analog, then what with this do for online matches that pit home console players using the former method directly against handheld players using the latter?

I think that's a non-issue. Most of the time you don't have an internet connection while using a handheld outside the home, when you do you're stationary and could most likely detach the one of the Joy-Con, and if not you probably understand that playing online in handheld mode is not going to be the most conducive to top-level play. It's would also be a Metroid multiplayer mode, so who cares? It's just for fun.

If anything, pointer controls will only make the game easier to play for people who don't have the manual dexterity required to move the control sticks exactingly.

Pigeon

Frosty_09 wrote:

@Pigeon I think it all just comes down to skills and preferences, it's only my opinion that motion controls has the edge over dual analog sticks and yet there are players who can compete just fine with two analog sticks. I just prefer the idea of giving people more options to suit their needs so that they can play the game to the fullest extent.

And besides you can use the Pro Controller and the Joy-Cons for motion controls even when playing portably so both home console and portable players can play on a relatively even field. It all comes down to the player's inputs to utilize the controls to their advantage.

You might be right there. But I think it raises a good point. I mean, have you ever played an FPS using a controller vs PC player with a mouse and keyboard? I have (Quake 3 on the Dreamcast) and, to be pluntly honest, unless you have godly skills with a controller, there was no chance against even an average PC gamer.

I know this isn't an exact comparison, but I suspect there would be some advantage with motion controls. Perhaps there would be a way to filter out, separate, or at least inform all players as to who is using what method during game i.e. how Mario Kart 3DS used to tell you which players were playing online via the sensor controls, or in 1st person mode.

Pigeon

I-U

I expect another Donkey Kong Country, just to give that return three games. I personally would not mind playing a Retro DKC game on the Switch as I did really like Tropical Freeze just not the Wii U hardware. I would be happier for a new IP, maybe a revival of Raven Blade, as I think Retro should break away from reviving Nintendo IPs every once and a while.

I want Metroid Prime 4 though...but it comes with expectations. I expect Metroid Prime 4 to bring Sylux's character back into the spotlight. As barren as the last decade has been for Metroid, it mostly centered around building up an inevitable collision between Samus and Sylux. I'm done with the teasing and I'm ready for that plot to unfold. I'm also ready for a return to roots after playing Other M and Federation Force. The response to Odyssey and especially Breath of the Wild should be enough to sway Nintendo to make a more exploration focused Metroid game. I wouldn't mind a new 2D Metroid game considering how long it has been, but the Wii U never saw a Prime game...I want to see a Prime game finally come to a HD system.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Pigeon

@Frosty_09 Didn't know so many used the gyro controls on Splatoon. I'll have to consider trying them on Splatoon 2, if or when I buy it.

Pigeon

FGPackers

@Pigeon i started with sticks in Splatoon. Could not go over B+ rank. Started using gyro by curiosity: reached S+ and i got way more addicted. Get your own conclusions

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Haru17

A boring, empty, open world Metroid Prime would depress me beyond words.

OorWullie

You know what I'd love but it would go down like a lead balloon,Metroid Prime Pinball 2.I didn't play my DS that often but when I did that was usually the game I went to.It would be perfect for Switch but unfortunately it ain't gonna happen.

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹ī¸ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹ī¸

Pigeon

OorWullie wrote:

You know what I'd love but it would go down like a lead balloon,Metroid Prime Pinball 2.I didn't play my DS that often but when I did that was usually the game I went to.It would be perfect for Switch but unfortunately it ain't gonna happen.

Count me in as another fan of that game. Played it to death. It was made by a small dev in the UK who also developed the highly rated 'Pro Pinball' series during the 32bit era, amongst a few other high quality licensed pinball titles.

I believe Nintendo owned the studio for a short period, but let them go not long after Metroid Pinball. Clearly pinball games weren't making Ninty enough money. Last time I checked, they were making mobile and / or P.C. pinball titles.

Yeah, would be great to have Nintendo hire them to make another Nintendo themed pinball game. Maybe even several tables based on various franchises.

......so, that completely derails the thread. Just so glad to see someone mention that highly underrated title.

Pigeon

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.