Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 67,061 to 67,080 of 69,981

gcunit

I found it interesting in the most recent Tears Of the Kingdom trailer that it looked very much like Breath of the Wild dlc - the environment and landscape (other than the sky stuff) looked very familiar, as if lifted directly from Breath of the Wild without change. Yes, there were some quirky modes of transport, and the sky stuff could be very substantial, but the place looked the same.

Now, that could be explained simply by the two Hyrules basically being the same ("It's just a sequel, derp!") and Nintendo aren't trying to hide that, or, Nintendo could be deliberately holding back some elements of the game, to maximize impact whenever they do decide to publicize it.

Which one is it? I dunno, but after 6 years, as much as I love Breath of the Wild's Hyrule and would put it in my Top 3 Happy Places (real or virtual), and would be happy to return for a whole new game, I can't help but think 6 years is enough to time to incorporate some fundamental landscape changes.

Unless, of course, the 6 years has been somewhat strategic rather than necessary, and they've been simultaneously developing another Hyrule for the next Zelda game coming for the next hardware...

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Leakers spoil as much as they can anyways. Doesn't matter what Nintendo does- leakers always dump as much info as possible. The ppl who wanna look....look. The ones that don't... don't.

Either way, that wouldn't happen until preload goes live, which means the final 7 days before release. And given less than 5% of the game's total sales will come from day one purchasers who religiously follow gaming media day in day out, the effect would be negligible. Most of the games sales come after the initial preorders, when the game is already released and all the info is floating around anyways.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze [Switch] digital code is $38 on Amazon. Lowest price to date.

And lemme tell ya, this isn't just "another good platformer". DKC Tropical Freeze is unquestionably the greatest 2D platformer of all time. A game people still talk about to this day, and will continue to talk about for decades to come. It's one of those games. The kind that attain legendary status as the greatest that ever was.

If you haven't played this game yet, I envy you. I'd give almost anything to re-experience this gem for the first time all over again. Even now I still chase the dragon. I've beaten the game 4 times now, and will likely do another playthrough this Christmas. And I never usually replay games unless they're ported/remastered on a new system.

Excellent Two Part Analysis Before and After Switch Release

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CK2ZGQB

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH @Gcunit i not worried about Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom, living up to everyone, because Nintendo EPD 3(the main Legend of Zelda team) never disapoint when they develop a Legend of Zelda game, even a polaring game such as Zelda Skyward Sword could be considered a masterpiece, trust they will do a game that could surpass Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild and become the best game of the franchise.

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

JaxonH

@Giancarlothomaz
Blame the gaming community's shameful response to DKC Tropical Freeze when it was announced for Wii U. The game has finally gotten its rightful recognition over time, mostly thanks to the Switch port giving it a 2nd chance.

A 2022 survey by a gaming body reported the Switch version of DKC Tropical Freeze has sold 4.2 million units, which is... incredible. No, it doesn't quite match the 5 million copies of Returns on Wii, but Returns largely sold to the blue ocean- casuals that weren't converted to more permanent gamers. Compared to the 2 million it sold on Wii U, I'd say doubling it's initial sales is a better performance than we've seen from any other Wii U port to date, and just showcases how criminally underrated the original release was.

Retro is the only one I trust that can make a another proper DKC game that rivals Tropical Freeze. But they're busy with Metroid Prime 4 and possibly remastering Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime 3. Even if they finished all those games, released them, and then completed the DKC Returns Trilogy, I bet the community would throw a fit again just like they did last time. "Respect the developers wishes" ppl say, right up until the developer's wishes deviate from their own.

I really don't want a 3D Donkey Kong, tbh. I absolutely despise DK64- in comparison to the DKC games it's downright terrible. And while I'm sure Nintendo themselves could come up with something better, I just feel like Mario is best as a 3D platformer, and DK is best as a 2D platformer. It's quite rare to see a AAA 2D platformer nowadays, and even more rare for a AAA 2D platformer to be charming aesthetically yet still offer satisfying challenge (something 2D Mario games don't offer).

Idk. Maybe if they announce something, once I see it I'll change my mind. But right now, I feel the formula for DK has been perfected with Tropical Freeze, and throwing that away in pursuit of 3D or whatever other idea they want to experiment with, would be an injustice to both gamers and the franchise.

But they're gonna do what they're gonna do. So I'll reserve my final judgement until I see it for myself.

CJD87

@Giancarlothomaz @JaxonH Personally I could live without another 2D/3D DK entry... and instead would happily settle for a new Diddy Kong Racing!
We've all been dining out on MK8 for far too long, and a new DKR would be incredible... maybe introduce some RPG elements to the original 'Aventure Mode' and cart-crafting etc.

CJD87

old-dad

I would be down for another Dkc 2d game. Never played the switch port but still have my wiiu copy that gets played time to time.

Kinda like to see retro get right back on another Metroid game after 4 ships tbh. With the way game development is now might take 10yrs for 5 to come out

Edited on by old-dad

old-dad

Ralizah

@CJD87 Out of interest, have you played Crash Team Racing? It has a pretty meaty single-player campaign.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

CJD87

@Ralizah I've actually not, but hear it is pretty solid! I'll add to the wishlist and probably grab next time it is on sale!

CJD87

StuTwo

I really dislike DK64 but I think that I could see a 3D DK game being really spectacularly good under the right circumstances.

Some elements from the DKC games should translate very well to 3D - the minecarts and rocket barrels for instance.

The way I kind of think about it though is this: if Mario has/is going to/back to being "open world" like Odyssey or Bowser's Fury then Kirby has kind of taken over the "3D world" multi-player diorama platforming space with Forgotten Land to fill a gap... but that still leaves a really challenging Mario Galaxy style 3D platforming hole in the lineup. From a commercial perspective a 3D DK would be a good fit for such a game.

I'd be delighted with a more typical 2D TF follow up too though. I'd also jump quickly at DK:R remastered in HD.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

1UP_MARIO

Donkey kong tropical freeze. Not just a fantastic platformer. Has great feel good music. Yoshis wooly worlds ost is great too

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

JaxonH

@StuTwo
No doubt DK could be great in 3D if the right team worked on it. I just question whether it could be as good as Tropical Freeze.

The Wii U had an abundance of 2D platformers but hardly any 3D platformers. Whereas with Switch it's kind of the opposite. There's at least 2 big, new flagship 3D platformers with Mario Odyssey and Kirby's Forgotten Land (3 if you count Bowser's Fury) but not so much for 2D. A co-op Kirby game and a mediocre Yoshi.

Given DKC is the best 2D platformer there ever was, I feel as if it's the best choice for a new game that serves as the flagship 2D platformer. I could definitely get excited for a good 3D DK game. I just worry it may serve as a permanent bookend for DKC as a series.

Giancarlothomaz

@TheBigBlue, @StuTwo that was 24 years ago, Nintendo now have plenty of expirence now to do a 3D plataform game, @IceClimber just as i expected, Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom dont need a huge marketing campaing to suceed, just Breath of the Wild impact in the franchise will be enough to make Tears of the Kingdom explode in sales.

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

old-dad

Well been playing the Dredge demo and can honestly say it hooked me. Cant wait for the release ! End of month is gonna close out strong with this and Bayonetta Origins Friday.

old-dad

JaxonH

Got the Trails To Azure collector edition a day early, which is always nice. The Trails games on Switch are starting to really pile up. With Trails Into Reverie also coming this year, thats going to make 5 Trails games on Switch in the west, 7 for Japan.

Seems Trails To Azure is just like Trails From Zero inasmuch that the Switch version is notably superior to the PS release. Better textures, new features and QoL additions, etc.

Untitled

@old-dad
I just researched Dredge out of curiosity. It actually looks like it could be fun.

Taceus

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@TheBigBlue @JaxonH I don't think silence would have that effect, rather all it would do is fuel leakers to spoil the game for everyone. The leaks would then spread like wildfire because Nintendo news sites and Youtubers will be desperate for clicks, you saw how quick the artbook leaks spread.

There's a lot to be said for the practice of self-control. But alas, self-control has seemingly wandered off nowadays, probably to the same place as common-sense and honest self-reflection🤷

'I used to be with 'it', then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it', and what's 'it' is weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you too.' - Abe Simpson

Switch Friend Code: SW-8282-1096-1431 | 3DS Friend Code: 3909-7678-9918 | My Nintendo: Taceus | Nintendo Network ID: Taceus

old-dad

@JaxonH Shew I love the Valkyria Chronicles games. Wished they would port 2&3 to switch.

Dredge is a fun little game, slow burn for sure with lots of busy work. Fishing boat Rpg with horror story element baked in. It has worked for me and looking forward to seeing the rest.

You will be happy to know I grabbed both Ori games to add to my ever growing back catalog 👍

old-dad

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic