Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 66,981 to 67,000 of 69,981

card-crunch78

I've never really gotten into esports.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

card-crunch78

I just realized Pokémon quietly canceled a storyline under our noses.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

JaxonH

@Giancarlothomaz
VRR = Variable Refresh Rate.

The reason you notice framerate issues in games is not because 30 or 60 is some magic number and all other framerates stutter. The reason you notice framerate issues is because the framerate of the game does not match the refresh rate of the screen. Most screens are locked at 60 Hz (Hz = rate per second). So if a screen is set to 60 Hz, a game's framerate can either run at 60 fps to match, or it can run at 30 fps because it perfectly divides into 60.

When a game's framerate drops, it no longer matches up with the refresh rate of the screen, and the human eye detects the stutter.

But what if the screen's refresh rate wasn't locked? What if the screen's refresh rate could change on the fly? What if the screen's refresh rate could match the game's framerate nomatter what it is or what it drops to? That would solve framerate issues, since as long as the game's framerate matches the screen's refresh rate, it will appear smooth to the human eye.

That's what VRR is. Instead of a static refresh rate, the screen has a VARIABLE refresh rate that can change. In order for VRR to work, you need a GPU that supports it (Nvidia has their proprietary G-sync which is their form of VRR, whereas AMD uses Free-sync). You also need HDMI 2.1 cables if outputting to a TV, and a screen that is VRR compatible.

The next Switch will almost certainly have a chip that's VRR compatible. And will likely include HDMI 2.1 ports (I think HDMI 2.0b can still support VRR but not sure). But it would also need a VRR compatible screen if it were to implement VRR in handheld mode.

I could see Switch 2 supporting VRR via HDMI out to the TV. But supporting VRR in handheld mode? I don't see it happening. If even Steamdeck doesn't use a VRR screen, I'd bet on pigs flying before Nintendo does.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Magician

Seems as though Square-Enix's attempt to dip a toe into the visual novel waters has reviewed well. Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo. I guess I'll have to wishlist it then, since my vn backlog is already quite substantial. Everyone could do at least that much...I suppose.

Show support for your Switch console exclusives, my friends.

https://opencritic.com/game/14408/paranormasight-the-seven-my...

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Ralizah

@Magician wtf

Horror visual novel. Great art-style. Switch console exclusive. Shockingly low price. Launches with a 20% discount. How am I just now hearing about this?

Actually, I might have just glanced past the absolutely horrendous title, but this sounds absolutely fantastic.

Will be downloading to play alongside Fatal Frame.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah It was in the February Direct but only for Japan.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

@Giancarlothomaz
VRR is basically VSync except instead of the GPU waiting for the display before it starts the next frame the display waits for the GPU to say a frame is ready. Which reduces the latency between the GPU and monitor, improves smoothness, removes tearing and generally improves efficiency because the GPU isn't sitting idle

Nvidia pushed it early with GSync which was proprietary and fairly expensive before AMD pushed for a standardised version called freesync. The latter made it's way into the HDMI 2.1 spec and was supported by Intel. Which is why it's pretty commonplace now even in very entry level displays. At this point Nvidia support Freesync and GSync is basically dead as a hardware product

AFAIK there aren't really and mobile devices with VRR which makes sense because, despite what some think, a phone isn't really a gaming first device. This would be why the Deck doesn't have it, they don't have the volumes to dictate a display spec. They have to rely on what displays are already being made. Well that and Valve didn't have any margin to play with. But Nintendo has volume and is making a mainstream gaming only portable device so, I wouldn't rule it out

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

Speaking of supporting your Switch exclusives, I just tried the demo for Bayonetta Origins.

This game is extremely, extremely, EXTREMELY well done and polished. The fantastic audio, high quality voice work, incredibly appealing visuals, well integrated HD rumble, storybook approach with story focus and surprisingly fun gameplay all combine to make for one of the most unexpected surprises for me in a long time. Handheld mode is a special kind of treat. Especially playing while doing routine walking exercise. Just zone out, walk on the treadmill or pace back and forth, and let the game take you on a journey.

All I can say is, there's a free demo. It costs you nothing to try. Get through chapter 2 in the forest and assess what you think.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

old-dad

@JaxonH Yes sir it is fantastic ! Platinums best game ? Maybe but i believe it might be my favorite.

Edited on by old-dad

old-dad

JaxonH

Metroid Fusion is out now!!! Go go go!

Also Splatoon 3 update for a patch, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe update for Wave 4 DLC, and of course, the Bayonetta Origins demo as previously mentioned.

@old-dad
I'd have to play the whole game before making that determination. I will say, it's got its work cut out if it's to rival Bayonetta 2, Bayonetta 3, Astral Chain and Nier Automata.

But gosh dang, it's so much better than I was expecting. It's... certainly different. Not the typical Platinum game, that's for sure. But I like it! I really do like seeing P* games explore different ideas and concepts. This game is so creative.

Like, even something simple such as the magic circle and tilting the analog to time it when the clock hand hits the moons... it's just so different than anything I usually experience in games. And yet, somehow strangely satisfying.

Ralizah

Now we know why Grim Guardians was taken off the eshop.

I'm still calling it by its original name. How silly!

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

old-dad

@JaxonH. Yeah i can see that. Bayo 3 and Asteral Chain are fantastic games but have yet to dip toes into Nier.

This is a welcome change from those games imo, its nice to see a developer not have its hands tied and allowed to try new things. This and Hi-Fi Rush have been the biggest suprise and maybe favorite games I've played this year.

old-dad

skywake

I think it's fair to say this latest collection of tracks for Mario Kart 8 is pretty solid. Probably up there with some of the best tracks in the game IMO

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

Level 5 Presentation happened last night. Kind of like a Nintendo Direct but for Professor Layton, Fantasy Life and DecaPolice

After watching it, I'm so incredibly sold... on all of it.

Yannis

@JaxonH i share the same feeling with you regarding Decapolice, i'm so excited! Detective-Mystery games are so my cup of tea, the combat looks really satisfying too.

Yannis

Switch Friend Code: SW-1329-7751-0704 | Nintendo Network ID: Johnnie

Magician

Fantasy Life i is my most anticipated release of 2023.

I was a bit hyped for Mato Anomalies, but uh...after the FLi announcement...not as much.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic