Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 66,861 to 66,880 of 69,964

Magician

The 4Chan leaker could be on-point regarding a Scarlet & Violet graphical patch for the Switch successor. But I think they could be off on the expected release date. Nintendo is known for holding finished projects. Keep in mind, the Metroid Prime HD Remaster was completed and held for over a year.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/11/rumour-metroid-prim...

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Buizel

@skywake Fair - I have some experience with outsourcing programming work, but that has been more "bite-sized" and not for consumer products, so probably quite different...

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Giancarlothomaz

@TeaCatherine quite possible to happen, given that with Nintendo at Pax East 2023, they might have theme they booth around Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom, just like they did in 2020 with Animal Crossing New Horizon, everyone expect a demo of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom at Pax East 2023 plus a focused Nintendo Direct for the game.

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

skywake

@Magician
That's certainly the main possible way it could be out while still being a "legit" leak I think. With that said, again, we're talking about Pokemon here. I know I'm a bit of a broken record in terms of the quality of their releases but.... they don't really strike me as the sort of studio that sets conservative deadlines. I suspect if you worked at GameFreak and they said the deadline was December 3rd it'd mean the game is in players hands on December 4th

I think there's a bit of a gap between the management/work culture at Retro vs GameFreak

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Buizel

Just got rid of my joy-con collection - cutting down from 15 joy-con total (pairs of Neon Red, Neon Blue, Green, Yellow, Pink and White, plus Purple L, Blue L and Orange R) to the bare minimum of two (now Purple L and Neon Red R).

It's actually kinda liberating. I built up the collection (and held onto them) thinking it would be nice to mix and match...but really that just ended up in choice paralysis and I'd stick to the same pair for the most part.

I definitely need to waste less money on gaming tat in the future x_x

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

JaxonH

@Buizel @Magician
They would know the patches they're working on, and would obviously have deadlines for when their target release is.

It's always possible they could be right on one thing and wrong on other. But there's no evidence to suggest that.

The person has proven beyond doubt they are who they say they are, or at least have legitimate info (it's always possible they actually work at Gamefreak and intentionally lied about being at a contract studio to hide their trail).

Why do people do the things they do is a hard question to answer. Many reasons. Regardless, leaks have been a thing for a long time, and will continue to be. The motives don't need to be known. All we need to know is whether it's reliable.

And from what they posted, they're definitely reliable. Is it possible they leaked credible info and then just threw in something wrong? Sure. I mean, it's not like that hasn't happened before. But the more likely scenario is, they're dead on- they are working on a patch (and I imagine many other studios) to take advantage of the next system's power.

There's no reason to doubt their information. That doesn't guarantee its all correct, but there's no evidence to suggest we should question their info. Reasonable skepticism is always advised, but outright refusing to give the leak any weight despite the rest of the info proving legit... that's ill advised.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Magician

I just think someone at the programming level has little to no insight into what would be management's final call.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH We'll find out by sometime in May at the latest anyway whether it's true or not. If Nintendo passes through the fiscal year shareholders meeting without even mentioning a codename, we know it's not coming by the end of March 2024.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Buizel

@JaxonH An internal programming deadline doesn't necessarily reflect the actual release schedule though. I'm with @Magician on this one. I still think there may be some element of truth to the leak...but that's about it. As you say, "It's always possible they could be right on one thing and wrong on other".

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

JaxonH

@Buizel
Always possible. But that doesn't mean likely.

Obviously you can't release a graphics patch without new hardware to run the graphics patch.

@Magician
They don't need insight into management's final call. They only need basic common sense to know a graphics patch needs hardware to run it. Ergo, if the graphics patch js scheduled to release with DLC2, then the new hardware has to be on store shelves by that point.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Magician

Sure sure.

We'll see.

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
I don't think that's the case. They could, but not mentioning it doesn't rule anything out. Unlike the Wii U generation, they have a LOT of sales to lose by allowing such information out to the public. It will be in their best interest to say nothing.

I expect to hear absolutely nothing about any of this until either Oct-Nov with a teaser, or Jan 2024 with a reveal. They may just wait til Jan 2024 so as to not diminish holiday sales.

Magician

It's true. Nintendo wouldn't want to cannibalize the Switch's Holiday sales potential by announcing new hardware in 2023. Also, retailers need at least two months of lead time for preorders. So January would be the earliest we'd hear about this new hardware. And that's assuming the new hardware is in production as we speak.

If the new hardware isn't currently in production then lead time would be closer to six months.

Boy oh boy, I can't wait for the leaks off the production line.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/07/the_early_switch_li...

JaxonH

@Magician
They fired that guy!

I just saw an article this past week. They tracked down the guy who was leaking from the factory and terminated them

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH They've done it with every brand new system so far, that the system is announced in some form by the final fiscal year shareholders meeting before its launch at the latest (even the 3DS had this with an announcement in March 2010 and the DS/Wii era is the closest success to the Switch era). Revisions are the only systems where Nintendo have just been able to announce a few months before launch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Magician

So Grumble is expecting May's shareholder meeting to out the Switch successor like WB's shareholder meeting outed Mortal Kombat 12 before an official announcement.

Edited on by Magician

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
I get the logic, and I'm not saying it won't happen.

I'm saying it doesn't necessarily have to happen. Just because they did it before doesn't mean it's a scientific rule of the universe.

It may happen just as you suspect. I'm simply saying if it doesn't, that's not enough to conclude it isn't happening.

Magician

On a side note. That Flashback-inspired game, Lunark, has been scheduled for release on March 30th.

Considering Wayforward's working relationship with Limited Run, I expect announcement of a physical release six months later or something like that.

Edited on by Magician

skywake

JaxonH wrote:

The person has proven beyond doubt they are who they say they are, or at least have legitimate info (it's always possible they actually work at Gamefreak and intentionally lied about being at a contract studio to hide their trail).

Why do people do the things they do is a hard question to answer. Many reasons. Regardless, leaks have been a thing for a long time, and will continue to be. The motives don't need to be known. All we need to know is whether it's reliable.

This is fair, I still don't get it though. I mean if I was at GameFreak and I had outsourced this work I think it'd be pretty damn obvious where this leak had come from. Would be more than enough grounds to cancel the contract or at the very least reduce the amount of work you send their way. Probably even have the word spread around about it. Even if this specific employee didn't get immediately fired they could still find themselves out of work

Then again people do dumb things all the time. So I don't think we can rule out something someone has done just because of the complete and utter stupidity of it

Magician wrote:

I just think someone at the programming level has little to no insight into what would be management's final call.

Final call on what? If they are indeed working on a patch like this the only thing they wouldn't know would be the specific date of release. And even there there isn't that much wiggle room. If you're sending out dev kits for new hardware and getting outsource teams to develop for it? It's not years away. Also if you're patching a game that released last year for improved performance? There is only a certain window where it's even worth doing that. You probably wouldn't bother doing such a patch for Pokémon Legends: Arceus to release next year, as an example. There are certainly titles where you might (BotW would get one) but Pokemon ain't it

If all of this info is accurate it wouldn't really make sense for the new hardware to release in late 2024 for example. Because by then nobody is really going to be interested in Scarlet and Violet. In late 2024 people would instead be looking for a new entry. If this new hardware was releasing in 2025 or something there wouldn't be any reason to give this team new hardware dev kits. The lead time is just too great

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Giancarlothomaz

@Magician Nintendo anouncing the Nintendo Switch sucessor during the shareholding meeting would not impact the Nintendo Switch holiday sales?also may is the release month of Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom, i think is very unlikely Nintendo is gonna anounce the Switch sucessor during the shareholding meeting in may, they dont want to impact Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom/Pikimin 4 sales and Switch holiday sales, is more likely they anounce the Switch sucessor in 2024 for a 2025/2026 launch.

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic