Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 65,621 to 65,640 of 69,995

JaxonH

@Kermit1Pineapple
People have a fundamental misunderstanding about why KH was not natively ported.

It sounds crazy if you're under the impression power was the reason. But it clearly wasn't. The collection featured well over half a dozen full games that would each need to be individually ported, when the entire bundle could only sell for $100 at most. The ROI simply wasn't there. And ppl will say, "ya but there's a lot of demand, it would still make a profit". Which, they'd be right. But business isn't just about making profit, its about maximizing profit. The time and resources needed to undertake such a monumental task could see 5X the ROI if other tasks were delegated instead (such as, for example, creating a Crisis Core remaster and releasing across all platforms, and still have money and resources left over to spare).

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

FragRed

@JaxonH Thank God you said something because I was about to ask what the heck a Xbox 360 +++ is compared to a PS4 bass model.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

JaxonH

@FragRed
After the first + sign the comparison loses all relevance.

It also completely ignores the fact that in handheld/tabletop mode, games only need to render at 720p. So even if it's downclocked to base Xbox One level, the result is going to be games that look just as if not more impressive than a PS4 on a TV.

And when docked, DLSS can upscale the image to go toe to toe with PS4 Pro, maybe even beyond.

It's never going to be as capable as current gen systems- that much is obvious. It's a portable hybrid system. If portable hybrid systems could be made without any compromises everyone would be doing it.

But if the games look as good as PS4 games in both handheld and docked, and upscale to 4k with DLSS, I can't imagine why anyone would want to play games anywhere else. Unless they simply never use handheld or tabletop mode, which the data suggests is only a small minority of Switch gamers.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH you know Nintendo, they will never for powerful chipset such as Tegra 239, they will opt for a less demading/less powerful chipset, you know very well Nintendo opt for inovation not pure raw power like Microsoft/Sony do with they consoles, i higly doubt Nintendo is gonna follow the Game Cube path(most powerful console with the Switch sucessor, Switch sucessor again is gonna be a underpowed console as always, with the devina venia, you are wrong to believe Switch sucessor is gonna be a powerful console, until Nintendo reveal the Switch sucessor next year or in 2024, this debacle on Switch 2 graphical power is temporaly closed, and we shall see who is righ(you or you? problaby me, i am always right).

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

FragRed

@JaxonH I always assumed base PS4 would be what Nintendo aimed for with the new hardware. It was the most logical step. And as you said, that should be easily capable of allowing a decent amount of continued third party support from both the indies and larger publishers. Maybe we see more last generation games ported too.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

JaxonH

@Giancarlothomaz
you know Nintendo, they will never for powerful chipset such as Tegra 239

And yet, that's exactly what they're doing. It's all but confirmed.

It's also silly to say, "they would never" when the Switch itself used a powerful chip during the middle of the 8th generation that was more powerful than 7th gen power consoles.

This is no different. Switch is will use a powerful chip during the middle of the 9th generation that's more powerful than 8th gen power consoles.

Your argument is directly contradicting both logic and evidence.

Also, make up your mind. A moment ago you were complaining the chip they're going to use is "only" as powerful as a base PS4, now you're saying they'd "never use a chip that powerful"? Which is it? You're all over the place. Your stance keeps flip flopping to complete polar opposites. I don't know what you're trying to say... I don't even think you know what you're trying to say.

Edited on by JaxonH

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH Tegra X1 was a powerful chipset where? it was dated the moment it was anounced it was powering Switch, many people was concered Nintendo was ounce again releasing a underpowed console, you too stuborn to admit i am righ, more stuborn then me.

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

JaxonH

@Giancarlothomaz
???

Everything is "dated the moment it was announced". Literally everything. When PS5 released the CPU was outclassed by CPUs 2 generations prior announced in 2019, and GPUs from 1 generation prior. Every year that passes PS5 becomes more and more dated. Consoles have never been the bastion of cutting edge tech. They're about bang for buck at a consumer friendly price. Power is relative

And yes, Switch was absolutely powerful when it released. Never in history had a portable console released as powerful as Switch, much less for $299. It was more powerful than the PS3 or 360. Which was unprecedented for a portable gaming device at the time.

This is no different. We are one generation removed, and while Switch was able to exceed PS3/360, Switch 2 will exceed PS4/X1.

Edited on by JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

The path Nintendo has taken since the Wii for home consoles (and the hybrid Switch) has been less powerful than the current PS/Xbox but more powerful than the last gen PS/Xbox so a bit more powerful than base PS4 for the next Switch is to be expected from that pattern.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
That's true but I also think Switch has changed the macro strategy.

As Capcom asked for more RAM to accommodate Monster Hunter Rise, Nintendo has learned that to entice 3rd parties they need a certain level of power. Originally the Switch was going to have 1GB RAM and be more in between a 3DS and Switch. They abandoned that, and I'm glad they did.

Now that Switch has seen such unprecedented 3rd party support and the success that's come with it (and the profit from software sales from 3rd parties) they're going to want to accommodate them as much as possible with their next system. Nintendo has done a complete 180 with regard to chasing 3rd parties, as evidenced by negotiating with Bethesda for Skyrim and Doom, getting Metro Redux on Switch, Diablo, etc. And now, potentially Call of Duty. They'd be blind to not see this is their golden opportunity. They're almost certainly going to ensure the next system can run 99% of games at a reasonable performance and visual fidelity.

And at the end of the day, that's what it's all about.

FragRed

Whatever happens, IF and I mean if, Nintendo were to release the next system along side TotK, we must be hearing about it next month so all the details about power etc would be confirmed once and for all.

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH They did make changes based on suggestions from 3rd parties. I was just saying that even with those changes, it still fits the pattern.

@FragRed I was thinking early February reveal taking into account giving Fire Emblem Engage some space to sell.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano Good point I forgot Fire Emblem was in January. What’s February got as the big game from Nintendo?

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe on February 24th.

Grumblevolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano Oh so a small game that’s a remaster. Yeah if it were to be next year, February is definitely the right time.

IceClimbers

River City Girls is the current Game Trial in the US and this game is really really fun. Great beat em up title that I definitely recommend.

The only negative I can give it is that it doesn't seem to support handheld mode, instead forcing tabletop mode when undocked.

Edit: Oh yeah, the visuals also absolutely pop on the OLED.

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH in regard to third party suport on the Switch sucessor, have graphical/techinal power need to have to enticy third party suport on the Switch sucessor, 8/12 memory RAM and 64/128 GB of memory to enticy them?

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

JaxonH

@FragRed
It's possible Switch 2 doesn't release until 2024 or 2025, and I think we all acknowledge that. But there is at least a chance it comes with Zelda. If so, I expect March announcement with a 60 day lead up, maybe February with a 90 day lead up. I know that's non traditional but Switch1 was revealed January and released in March. The initial announcement I think was because they had little to lose with Wii U at the time.

@Giancarlothomaz
We don't know how much RAM it will have. But we can safely assume it'll be 8 GB based on the Switch's 4 GB. And considering that's what PS4 had, it's the likely outcome. If it was enough for PS4 it'll be enough for Switch 2.

Storage is another thing entirely. It'll probably still use microSD, which thankfully, 1.5 and 2TB cards are announced and on the way. Should release within a year or so of Switch 2 launch. Until then 1TB will do. Internal storage will likely still be small. 64 GB is my guess.

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic