Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 65,601 to 65,620 of 67,046

blindsquarel

@MrHonest
How can it be a port when it was released on the same day? Wouldn’t that just be a cross gen release.

Currently Playing: Pokémon white
“ who dares to stand up to Vandal Savage, destroyer of worlds”
“ Leonard Snart, Robber of ATM’s

JaxonH

@KryptoniteKrunch
That's true. We still have a few more years of games coming to Switch. If it's this packed now just imagine how much better it'll be by the end of the generation. Look at the lineup of games we have, divide it into thirds, and that's how much more we have to look forward to.

@Buizel
That's made all the difference. Nintendo systems always have great 1st party. And Switch not only has, imo, the best 1st party of any past system (they really brought their A game with Switch- nearly every franchise has a Switch entry that can be argued best in the entire series), it adds the entire Wii U lineup on top of it, and then adds the best 3rd party support of the last 3 decades, and gives all of them 3 versions in 1.

They clearly did something right to go from the Wii U, one of their worst selling consoles to date, to a system that will likely break the PS2 record.

PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, Persona 5 Royal, Mario Rabbids Sparks of Hope
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@blindsquarel
Don't bother. Best to just let some ppl talk into the void.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

blindsquarel

@JaxonH
Probably right, I would get in a lot less arguments if I did that.

Currently Playing: Pokémon white
“ who dares to stand up to Vandal Savage, destroyer of worlds”
“ Leonard Snart, Robber of ATM’s

MrHonest

@blindsquarel You do know that they delayed the game because they wanted a switch version too? The game certainly is a port fron Wii U.

MrHonest

Buizel

@JaxonH I wouldn't go as far as saying "nearly every franchise has a Switch entry that can be argued best in the entire series", but the line-up is pretty damn strong.

Odyssey, Breath of the Wild and Smash Ultimate are pretty solid contenders for best games in long-running, highly-acclaimed series.

The Switch is basically the home of the Xenoblade series at this point, missing only XCX. Similar with Splatoon.

We got a 2D Metroid of all things.

Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8, despite being ports, are arguably the best in their respective series.

That's not even to mention the odd title like Mario and Rabbids, ARMS, Pokemon Snap, Ring Fit Adventure... And a return to form for Mario Party. And Luigi's Mansion reaching new heights.

Kirby Star Allies was disappointing but I think Forgotten Land more than made up for it.

Similarly I don't think Pokemon's quite reached the heights of Gen 3 and 4, but the Switch titles offer a lot of variety and are all somewhat solid.

Plus some fantastic Musou spin-offs in Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes and Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity.

A few series fall short - personally I think these are Mario Sports, Paper Mario and Yoshi. But is there any generation where every Nintendo title has been fantastic / best in the series?

And there's a few series that have been no-shows. But again, this can be said for any generation.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Kermit1Pineapple

JaxonH wrote:

@blindsquarel
Don't bother. Best to just let some ppl talk into the void.

Me and the void are best friends...

Currently playing:

#TeamSlime

Known to be quirky on occasion

MrHonest

Controversial opinion: Splatoon 3 were more like DLC than actually sequel. Nintendo were lazy there.

A 60 bucks DLC.

Edited on by MrHonest

MrHonest

EaglyTheKawaiiShika

The switch has given us 2 Xenoblade games ( 4 if you count torna and FC) for all i care it is the best Nintendo console.

Top Games, Xenoblade 1 2 3, Nier automa/replicant, Mario galaxy 1 2, MGS5, Stardew valley, Hollow knight, Yakuza Like a dragon, GOW 2018, Doom 2016, Dragon quest 11, Bug fables, FE3H

My name is the victim of A holy war where there were no winners

It’s Donkey kong December

Grumblevolcano

I'd say it's still up in the air, Switch is likely the best but it also has glaring weaknesses that other Nintendo systems are very strong at. For example, a lot of the handheld focused stuff you used to see on systems like 3DS are almost completely nonexistent on the Switch (e.g. 2D Zelda, Mario & Luigi, Pushmo, various Atlus franchises), FPS completely excelled on the GC but it's rather limited on the Switch and the retro collection on Wii U via VC was absolutely fantastic but it's still a long way from being that good on Switch.

But the Switch's lifespan isn't over yet so it still has room to improve in these areas like someday in the future we'll get Goldeneye (via NSO Expansion Pack) and Metroid Prime 4.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Buizel

@Grumblevolcano Delivery of legacy content has been the #1 missed opportunity on the Switch, IMO. NSO got off to a very slow start compared to the Virtual Console on Wii and Wii U. And many people (myself included) are quite disappointed that it's locked behind a subscription model, instead of allowing you to purchase individual games.

That said, things are looking promising. It seems to me like Nintendo have a long-term strategy in mind when it comes to legacy content, and don't want to just give us everything at once. Look at all they've just announced for the N64 - titles that we didn't see on the Wii and Wii U, and which many of us hadn't dreamed would get ever rereleases (Goldeneye and Pokemon Stadium come to mind). They're clearly making an effort to expand their legacy content above and beyond what they've given us in the past, even if they're drip-feeding it at an excruciating pace.

But who knows what will happen eventually. It would be incredibly disappointing if Nintendo hit the reset button yet again for their next console, and we once again end up waiting years just to get a bunch of N64 games with no Gamecube or Wii in sight.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

EaglyTheKawaiiShika

I hope the gamecube comes to the nintendo online expansion that would get me to get it

Top Games, Xenoblade 1 2 3, Nier automa/replicant, Mario galaxy 1 2, MGS5, Stardew valley, Hollow knight, Yakuza Like a dragon, GOW 2018, Doom 2016, Dragon quest 11, Bug fables, FE3H

JaxonH

@Buizel
Ya there's a few- notably Yoshi (Crafted World was mid, where as Wooly World was top tier, and Kirby Star Allies was mid, thankfully thats been rectified with the amazing 3D entry Forgotten Land and the upcoming amazing 2D entry Return to Dreamland).

But I still think the majority of Nintendo franchises and Nintendo-adjacent franchises have their best entries on Switch, or at the very least one of their best entries on Switch.

Best Zelda
Zelda Breath of the Wild
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom (probably)
Best 2D Mario
New Super Mario Bros U + Luigi U
Best 3D Mario
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario 3D World
Best 2D Metroid
Metroid Dread
Best Pikmin
Pikmin 3
Pikmin 4 (probably)
Best Warriors spinoff
Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes
Best 2D Kirby
Kirby Return to Dreamland
Best 3D Kirby
Kirby Forgotten Land
Best Xenoblade Chronicles
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Best Mario Kart
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe + 48 DLC tracks
Best Smash Bros
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Best Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Fire Emblem Engage (probably)
Best Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2
Bayonetta 3 (probably)
Best Monster Hunter
Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak
Best Luigi's Mansion
Luigi's Mansion 3
Best Splatoon
Splatoon 2
Splatoon 3 (once all DLC is added)
Best Pokemon
Pokemon Legends Arceus
Pokemon Scarlet/Violet (probably)
Best Donkey Kong
DKC Tropical Freeze
Best Cruis'n game
Cruis'n Blast
Best Mario Party
Mario Party Superstars

There's also a number of new franchises that are top shelf, like Astral Chain, Triangle Strategy, Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle and the upcoming Sparks of Hope... and even the series that haven't seen their best entries are, at least imo, still good games.

I think Switch lit a fire under developers behinds to put their best foot forward.

PLAYING
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

skywake

MrHonest wrote:

@alexwolf Breath of the wild is a port of a wii u game

It was technically a Wii U port but it was effectively a Switch game. And frankly that it was technically a port means little. There are games that are technically ports in that cross-gen period which never actually release on the original platform

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of early Switch games started on Wii U and were in some sense ported in some state at some stage. Eg Super Mario Odyssey. And also games that probably started out as ports like Mario Maker 2, Splatoon 2

But as you can see, whether or not they were "ports" is immaterial. Means absolutely jack to the end user unless they happened to already own the original release. And in that sense to most people? BotW is a Switch game

Edited on by skywake

Some Aussie musics: King Gizz, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Kermit1Pineapple

What if in Pikmin 4 we can zoom in really close and zoom out really really far to see how tiny we are.

Currently playing:

#TeamSlime

Known to be quirky on occasion

EaglyTheKawaiiShika

Nintendo should fake delay Pikmin 4 on April fools day and reveal its a joke 2 weeks later with the release date

JaxonH

Nier Automata is really good.

I played it on PS4 years ago, but dropped it before it got its hooks in me (by that point Switch had released and suddenly games without hybrid freedom started to lose my interest).

Now that it's on Switch, and is a high quality port at that, I've actually been able to play long enough to get hooked. Wanna say I'm about 5 or 6 hrs in now? Something like that. Still kind of early but far enough to understand the appeal of the game.

It's so good on the OLED. I've been playing it on the OLED TV all day, but was playing in handheld mode at work Thursday and Friday, as I will again starting tomorrow. The game is just so unique. I've never played anything like it. The story is very good, but the skill chips are what really have me addicted. I love allotting as many as you can fit in your storage, and min-maxing skill output, fusing different chips to get stronger effects. I'm using Evade Extend +80% and 2 Seconds Invincibility After Damage, and +40% Item Drop Rate, +8% Movement Speed and a bunch of others.

I like this game. Just not sure I'm gonna finish it by a week from Thursday.

PLAYING
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@NeonPizza
That one could be debated as I love World, but I've always contended NSMBU is the best 2D Mario ever made. That's an opinion I've held for many years now. And yes, I'm comparing how they hold up today. I'd rather play NSMBU + NSLU over SMW. It might be recycled compared to the 3 other NSMB games, but I'm not playing all 4 back to back. I just ignore the other 3, in which case NSMBU stands on its own. The art style is pretty generic, but it gets the job done and looks clean. It's much more imaginative and fun than the other NSMB games, though I am ready for a new entry. Something fresh. Maybe a return to SMW style for the modern era.

But ya, Dread is way better than Super Metroid. Good game, don't get me wrong, but it's not as good as Dread. The controls are worse, the visuals are dated, the level design isn't as good... it's just not as good. Others are free to disagree, but as I originally said, an argument could be made for these being the best. And since I know a great many people who share my opinion of them being best, an argument can definitely be made. Because no game in the history of video games will ever have 100% consensus.

For the record, I do appreciate 60 and agree it would be nice. I just don't find it necessary, and since we can't change what's out of our control I see no sense complaining about it. The system is what it is, and we'll get a successor when we get a successor.

Obviously a lot of older SNES games were more impactful for their time, but that's only because video games were newer and we hadn't seen experiences like them before. Current games don't have that advantage to stand on, and that's no fault of their own. I always judge games in nominal terms, not relative. Because to me relative terms mean little. What I care about is, if I want to play a game in a series today, which one is going to provide me the most fun, irrespective of historical context or impact.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I went ahead and ordered Chaos;Noah double pack, as well as Robotics;Notes double pack and Anonymous;Code preorder.

After researching and discovering they're all part of the same series as Stein's Gate, I had to, if nothing else for the sake of completing the series for the collection. And it seems these games are pretty beloved. Maybe one day I'll given them a genuine shot (because in fairness, I didn't really do that with Stein's Gate- I just tried it out for a bit).

Is there a particular order recommend out of all these to start with?

PLAYING
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@JaxonH Steins;Gate has an AMAZING story (legitimately one of the best time travel stories ever), but it takes a good, long while to get going, so that's one you just need to kind of carve out some time for. Maybe when the Switch release schedule loses steam at some point.

In terms of the order, certain Steins;Gate characters pop up in the Robotics;Notes games, so it's probably best to play S;G before R;N. The Chaos games are only lightly referenced in S;G and take place in the same universe, but in a different resulting worldline, so they can probably be played whenever.

When it comes to specific series, playing games in chronological order is best. So, Steins;Gate before Steins;Gate 0. Robotics;Notes before Robotics;Notes DaSH, and so on.

Steins;Gate Elite is probably going to be the easiest one to get into initially, given the modern, anime-esque presentation and, honestly, it having the most gripping narrative in the franchise.

@NeonPizza Honestly, I've never understood the love for SMW. It was a downgrade even from the NES games. Especially SMB3, which was shockingly good for an NES title.

NSMBU's aesthetics might not be compelling, but, design-wise, it's one of the best games in the 2D Mario series.

Edited on by Ralizah

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic