Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 65,461 to 65,480 of 70,010

Ralizah

I really didn't think I was going to like Pokemon Scarlet, and I do still wish they'd carried over certain design choices from PLA, but the game is surprisingly engaging. This is the most fun I've had with a new mainline, dual-release Pokemon game in memory.

I also feel like it's a little less easy to become overleveled. Some of the Titans and Team Star bosses actually put up a decent challenge. Just beat the final Team Star base, and only two of my six Pokemon were still alive at the end.

The tech issues are unfortunate, but this year has totally redeemed the Pokemon franchise for me. And, tbh, I've found that MH Stories 2's unlocked framerate is more distracting than the slowdown in this game.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

FragRed

Geoff Keighley says he ‘hasn’t felt this good about a show in a while’ regarding TGA according to Video Games Chronicle. You know what this means don’t you? KID ICARUS UPRISING COMING TO SWITCH WORLD PREMIERE TRAILER 🤪

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

JaxonH

@Ralizah
If and when they patch performance I'll give the game a spin. They said they're working on a patch so, I'll hold off for that. I do hear a lot of good things about it.

@Kermit1Pineapple
Maybe, maybe not. But a camera is pretty useless nowadays. It was a novel concept in 2006 before smartphones took over. But now? I don't think anyone cares about a camera on a handheld. 99% of games aren't gonna use it and the ones that do, well... I have yet to play a game that's convinced me a camera is a good idea for gameplay. The AR cards were a neat party trick for 3DS but ya, it's a pretty useless feature almost nobody used.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@FragRed
He says something similar every year. And every year it's a disappointment.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

FragRed

@JaxonH I know, it’s why I deliberately made the post in a sarcastic/cheeky way. It’s always overblown and everyone moans only to then get excited next time.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Nahr_Alma

Does anyone else ever have any issues with the Platinum Coins on their My Nintendo account?

For a while now, the coins will just suddenly drop for no reason, despite not having redeemed anything. Was at 2750 for a bit, now, it's suddenly at 1540 for no apparent reason at all. The most that's just been suddenly shaved off at random now.

Nahr_Alma

Switch Friend Code: SW-3418-3031-5143 | My Nintendo: Morpheus

Grumblevolcano

@Nahr_Alma Points expire 12 months after you earn them if not used.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Nahr_Alma

@Grumblevolcano I get that, but that would mean that I'd had to get over 1,000 Plat coins 12 months ago in one day, I'm assuming, for that amount to just suddenly vanish like that.

Nahr_Alma

Nahr_Alma

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika No worries lol. I'll get them back in no time. It's fairly easier now, since they've got the weekly plat coin rewards with the subscription. I haven't so much been saving them itself, as I've been waiting for other worthwhile things in the Nintendo Rewards list with the keychains, posters, Mario ornament, etc.

Nahr_Alma

Ralizah

@JaxonH A recently released patch apparently improves performance somewhat, but I'm still noticing plenty of slowdown. Maybe the widespread attention being paid to this issue will cause Nintendo to keep some level of pressure on them in this regard.

I'm not too worried about it either way, tbh. Playing it digitally from my internal memory in undocked mode, I can say that the game, for me, is enjoyable as is. Most Switch games with "performance issues" are, I've found.

Personally, if I could only choose to improve one aspect of this game, I'd keep the performance as in and add in voice acting for the cutscenes. There's some emotional cutscenes that would have been much more impactful with voices instead of eerie silence.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

FragRed

Since I’m seeing people asking for things on here, I’m gonna throw a curveball and say when are we going to start seeing 3D sprite based arcade games released? Arcade Archives is good and Capcom are doing a fairly decent job releasing their arcade catalogue but there’s lots of cool 3D sprite games from the 80s and 90s I’d love to see. Okay, that’s my drunken rant over. Carry on as before.

Ryu_Niiyama

I do wish devs other than Capcom would open the 90’s, 00,s vault on fighting games. I would love to play a soul calibur on switch or virtua fighter. I keep hoping the sega ages will include VF.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

skywake

@JaxonH
Sarcasm or not I think the gaming landscape will end up with two forms of devices in the mainstream. Portable consoles you can dock like the Switch and Steam Deck and standalone VR headsets like the Quest. I think the latter is Valve's next big move and the former is probably a space that Microsoft dips its toes into. No idea where Sony lands, probably stubbornly sticking to the same thing long after the ship has sailed as they usually do

I think the "traditional" home console eventually just becomes a budget option. We're seeing the gap close between portables and home consoles on both price and perceived performance. Portables are increasingly "good enough" and home consoles don't push the spec anywhere near as hard as they used to. But portables have a screen, battery and thermal constraints. Eventually they'll become the premium product

But even in that space desktop PCs still have a reason to exist. There will always be a demand for more and more number crunching power in commercial spaces. They'll continue to convince people with more money than sense to buy into that for gaming. And people such as myself who need a PC or just generally like having a more open platform like a PC? We'll continue to go "oh and lets also throw a decent GPU into it"

VR is an entirely different product, it'll continue to exist. It can't be consumed by the push of this portable/hybrid form because a VR headset is by its nature too bulky to be also a handheld. I think in terms of hardware form factor it overtakes the home console eventually but I don't think it becomes anywhere near being the dominant form

Oh and mobile games, mobile games won't change I don't think

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

skywake

@NeonPizza
I think we're derailing the thread a bit but skimming over your post. A few things. Firstly VR does not and will never replace the home console, portable or PC "forms" of gaming. It can't replicate the local multiplayer experience of Mario Kart/Smash and it will never be as good as the "cinema" experience you can get from a console connected to a decent screen + surround. You're not taking VR on the bus, plane or to a park and so on. Also it's not going to replace the things PCs are good at like competitive shooters and strategy games

But I can definitely see a future hybrid console taking over all those use cases

On the other side of the equation? VR is most definitely a unique experience and something that can't really be replicated without a dedicated VR headset. You can't just drop a tablet screen into a caddy with lenses and call it a day, that relationship between the screen and the lenses is kinda important. Also the resolution and refresh rate requirements for VR are absurd when compared to a portable. And that's before you get into the games needing to be entirely different and the controllers needing to be entirely different

I think we eventually get to the point where portables cannibalise most of the market. But I don't think they'll be able to really compete with proper VR for VR. And similarly I think VR is an important niche that will become a larger part of gaming as it continues to mature. But I don't think it comes even remotely close to replacing any of the traditional gaming forms, which is why it will remain a niche

skywake

@NeonPizza
I'll just make this simple point. Even if VR gets to the point where it's becomes like putting on a pair of large sunglasses. And even if (I'd argue when) mobile hardware advances to the point where it's all rendered on device. Basically we're talking end-game VR. Even at that point.... I don't want to close off all my senses on the bus firing up a bit of Smash, I don't really want to replace a full home theatre surround setup with a set of headphones and I don't really want to strap a joycon to the sides of a pair of sunglasses

VR has a place, is novel and will become a larger part of the gaming landscape. But it will always be a niche product. VR is like the Tablet PC of gaming in that sense. For the specific use cases where it works? It works. But for most other things there are other devices that do the task better. With tablet PCs that's Laptops on one side and smartphones on the other. For VR it's 5-10" portable screens at one end and large TVs with proper surround setups at the other. That's just how it is

.... and don't pretend I'm dismissing VR here, I'm not. I've probably put more hours into games on my Quest 2 than I have on any other gaming device this year

Giancarlothomaz

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika yeah, let hope TGA 2022 have good anouncement this time, @,Skywake and @Neonpizza, the future of the game industry will be between hybrid consoles such as Nintendo Switch/SteamDeck and VR/AR, most like consoles with the hybrid concept of Nintendo Switch,since VR/AR is still expensive and limited to a specific public,hybrid consoles all gamers can enjoy it, tradicional home console gamers or gamers that love to play more handheld consoles, Nintendo Switch was a stroke of genius for Nintendo/game industry in general, after Nintendo Switch, i can't return to a tradicional home console, is very convinent be able to play console like games like Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild or Bayonetta 3 in the confort of your living room/bedroom or take your Nintendo Switch to play your games in your country house/beach house, Switch allow us gamers a liberty to choose a way how to play your games(we no longer have to play your games on TV only,you can can play your games whenever you like, that the liberty i love on Switch and i hope Nintendo continue with this path).

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

FragRed

@Giancarlothomaz I know I was saying it tongue in cheek when posting it. He’s now said it’s gonna be a shorter show which suggests either less on the floor award’s being announced or they couldn’t attract enough adverts of games or whatever as before. Either way I expect little of anything worthwhile to come from it

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed I saw it being reported on that the Game Awards this year is significantly shorter with fewer major game announcements. Probably a case that many new announcements by Microsoft or Sony could be used as fuel against their respective arguments regarding the Activision acquisition so I'd imagine the reveals from both will be:

Microsoft

• Game Pass ads
  • Goldeneye shadow drop
  • Maybe a Redfall trailer

Sony

• FFXVI info
  • Show ends with Death Stranding 2 given the connection between Geoff and Kojima
  • PSVR2 ads
  • PC ports of existing games

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic