Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 61,561 to 61,580 of 70,011

Pizzamorg

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Pizzamorg MH Rise was the first Switch game on Nintendo's new servers, Nintendo games prior to that was on Windows 98 servers. Games with multiplayer since then are:

• Mario Golf Super Rush
  • Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl
  • Switch Sports

Oh my Gosh does this mean I'll actually be able to play Switch Sports online?

Life to the living, death to the dead.

jedgamesguy

Wait, Windows 98 servers?! That's frankly unbelievable. It's taken them that long for decent multiplayer?

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Rambler

@Grumblevolcano
That article states that Splatoon 2 has a check to see if it's runinng on windows 98, not that ther server is running on win98. Thats how I read it anyway.

Plus win98 is really a desktop OS, but you can run it as a server at a push, although I can't imagine that being done professionally?

Rambler

Fizza

@Grumblevolcano I remember hearing about this prior to Legends Arceus coming out. The fact that Nintendo servers up until 2021 were run on the same thing as this:
Untitled
is hilariously depressing. So many lag spikes in Smash.... so many.....

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Extreme-G (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Pizzamorg

Rambler wrote:

@Grumblevolcano
That article states that Splatoon 2 has a check to see if it's runinng on windows 98, not that ther server is running on win98. Thats how I read it anyway.

Plus win98 is really a desktop OS, but you can run it as a server at a push, although I can't imagine that being done professionally?

I think you are sorta splitting hairs here and focusing on the wrong things. All we are saying is NSO was ***** up until basically 2021, when they finally went... okay, let us use infrastructure that isn't the same as an AOL online chat from the late 90s.

For many, they would just get bad performance from NSO because I have to assume it was using antiquated peer to peer infrastructure, which means you have to have a fully open internet connection that is very high speed as you are effectively torrenting the game down and up to play it online.

For someone like me, who uses hybrid mobile internet due to where I live, I cannot open my ports to the degree that NSO agrees with to allow this peer to peer sharing, so I just couldn't play any Nintendo games online basically until Rise came out.

Fizza

@Pizzamorg What's weird for me is that, despite only using 1-2 bars of wifi for online games since my TV is situated far away from my broadband, I still get mostly great connections in games like Pokemon Unite, Mario Kart 8 and even Splatoon 2, the game that started this whole discussion in the first place. I guess Ireland just has better wifi than most? I mean I'll take it.

Pizzamorg

Fizza wrote:

@Pizzamorg What's weird for me is that, despite only using 1-2 bars of wifi for online games since my TV is situated far away from my broadband, I still get mostly great connections in games like Pokemon Unite, Mario Kart 8 and even Splatoon 2, the game that started this whole discussion in the first place. I guess Ireland just has better wifi than most? I mean I'll take it.

I mean it might seem fine on your end, but for all you know you're teleporting around the screen, thinking you're some unbeatable God when actually you are just lagging.

Fizza

@Pizzamorg Trust me, it feels like the exact opposite most of the time: I get completely trounced over and over again. In Splatoon and Smash especially, even today I just fought the most annoying Palutena who just spammed Up-Smash and Counter constantly.... and I still managed to lose. Mamma mia....

Ralizah

I've never had an issue with Splatoon online, interestingly.

Smash is almost unplayable on Wi-Fi for me, though.

@Fizza Morbidly curious about Sheep.exe, I'll admit.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Ryu_Niiyama

@Rambler your assessment is correct. That article didn’t say they were running win98 servers just checking for it which was likely holdover code.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Rambler

@Pizzamorg
Okay

@Ralizah - there used to be an application called something like that for Win3.1 where little sheep would jump around the screen, have baths, and get zapped by flying saucers. Not sure if it would work on win98!

Rambler

JaxonH

Software like that is modified over time to run on whatever OS is needed. At my job we had some ABB robots still running programs off floppy disk. Crude, but it worked. And if it works, it's hard to convince the company to allocate funds to replace. Unless the financial impact of not upgrading outweighs the cost of upgrading, companies typically just let it ride until the inevitable day comes they're forced to replace it.

I've been on a Splatoon 2 binge since restarting my save file, and am fast approaching 100 hours logged just in the past few weeks. I've never had online connection issues in Splatoon. I'm currently hardwired with ethernet for all my consoles, Switch included, but I put 300+ hours into Splatoon 2 with a wireless connection when it released and that game has always run flawlessly, barring a few isolated incidents I remember in the first month after launch. I even played Salmon Run at work today in tabletop using my phone's hotspot, and it felt no different than playing at home.

Monster Hunter Rise was also perfect online, and at least from the little I've played online, Switch Sports as well. I don't really recall ever having issues with online, but then again, I seldom play games online. Splatoon and Monster Hunter are rare exceptions where I pump hundreds of hours in. I never bothered playing Smash online, and probably did less than 10 hours online in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ninfan

Rambler wrote:

Don't suppose anybody has got the Head Over Heels remake for the Switch?

@Rambler yeah I bought it about 5 months ago. Not any different to the original I think. Its not on sale much. I think I paid €8 for it. I think there was an update, but I'm not sure what for.

Edited on by Ninfan

Ninfan

Ninfan

Nintendo life had 3500 new members this week. Not many sites do that amount of new members. I think.

Ninfan

Ninfan

WoomyNNYes wrote:

@Ninfan How do you see how many new members joined Nintendo Life?

@WoomyNNYes at the bottom of the page it says how many people joined nintendo life, and I counted how many joined in a week.

Ninfan

Rambler

Ninfan wrote:

Rambler wrote:

Don't suppose anybody has got the Head Over Heels remake for the Switch?

@Rambler yeah I bought it about 5 months ago. Not any different to the original I think. Its not on sale much. I think I paid €8 for it. I think there was an update, but I'm not sure what for.

If it's essentially the same as the original, then that's good for me

£8/€8 is probably about the price it was first time round!

Thanks, I may just have to get it

Rambler

jedgamesguy

@Ninfan @WoomyNNYes 2800 is the amount of followers they've gotten over the last week throughout YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and DeviantArt combined. It doesn't mean we got 2800 new users last week.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Pizzamorg

Man, Mario Tennis Aces really is the Dark Souls of tennis games. It is pretty damn unforgiving (until the mercy rules kick in) with it's mechanics, which can make the game extremely frustrating, but then there comes that moment where you just seem to go into the zone. Suddenly you're blocking every special shot, returning every curveball and you KO them with one mighty ultimate shot and it just feels so damn satisfying. I do think that maybe the CPU is adaptatively scaling, because I swear playing against the same opponent multiple times can yield extremely different rules, but I don't care cause it makes me feel awesome.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic