Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 61,021 to 61,040 of 69,981

JaxonH

Buizel wrote:

@Grumblevolcano Surely Nintendo have known that Pokemon Gen IX has been targeting holiday 2022 for years?

If so, why ever announce Zelda for 2022? Unless they never actually intended for it to be a holiday 2022 title?

Mmm... mmm hmmmm...

Yup yup. Fair point.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Thrallherd

Zelda BOTW - Definitive Edition is supposed to be released in Western countries at some point. It was released in Japan last year. I'm waiting for it as I still haven't bought or played the game.

Thrallherd

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano Even if Starfield does release on time, that release date could pose a problem for The Game Awards as it'll either just miss the cutoff date to be eligible or it'll be so close that it ends up passed over because the panel didn't have enough time to properly evaluate it.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Dogorilla

@Grumblevolcano You might be right but I agree with Buizel, I don't think Nintendo would delay BotW 2 just because of the release timing of other games, given that Nintendo presumably already knew when those games were coming out.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

BruceCM

Dunno about how long the Pokémon has been known to be targeting that window but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if BotW 2 ends up being next spring.... Maybe they'll surprise us with a quick announcement & release, since it is a sequel & perhaps doesn't need as much build-up as if it was a new entry?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Ralizah

@kkslider5552000 The quality of the game doesn't matter. Bethesda's big open world epics are almost guaranteed nominations and tons of attention. They'd have to really mess it up for it not to have the red carpet rolled out for it.

@Grumblevolcano It's still dated for 2022. I don't think they'd keep reiterating that if they weren't fairly confident they could keep to the release date.

If we don't see a full reveal and get a firm release date with a few months, though, I'll be more inclined to adopt your manner of thinking.

@JaxonH Yep. Nintendo publishes a variety of games each year, big and small, in a number of genres, most of which critics don't care about, at least when it comes to Nintendo consoles. Like, a lot of journos and influencers genuinely don't care about the coming expansion to MH Rise, but would be talking about it non-stop if it was another expansion to a PS/Xbox entry like Iceborne. This despite the expansion being almost guaranteed to sell well.

It is what it is. They have a frame of reference for what counts as a notable release, and that frame only generally extends to Zelda and 3D Mario games when it comes to Nintendo.

It very much leads to Nintendo fans almost living in an alternate reality when it comes to anticipated releases. The games I care about and play this year generally won't be discussed outside of enthusiast communities and social media.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

The quality of the game doesn't matter. Bethesda's big open world epics are almost guaranteed nominations and tons of attention. They'd have to really mess it up for it not to have the red carpet rolled out for it.

I think I'd agree in most instances, but between how much Fallout 76 hurt Bethesda's reputation and how long its been since Fallout 4, I'm not sure.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

@kkslider5552000 Fallout 76 is a distant memory, honestly. And even for people who remember the minor amount of scandal it generated, it's easy to brush off as a failed experiment on Bethesda's part.

And their games sell tons of copies and attract awards even though they're janky and buggy af. The quality genuinely doesn't matter.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I even noticed that with the initial release of Monster Hunter Rise.

Certain influencers that showered World with day one reviews claiming "one of the greatest video games ever made" didn't so much as tweet a single sentence about MH Rise, much less play or review it. And it's like, ok, I get that it doesn't have the same super visually impressive world (which to be fair was a big part of the appeal of World) but, if you genuinely felt the last Monster Hunter is that good- like, all time GOAT level, why are you giving the silent treatment toward the next game in the series?

Did you lie and never really thought it was that good, and you just wanted to hype up a game on your preferred platforms? Is it that you're biased and don't want to concede a game that good is releasing on Switch? Or do you only care about great games when they're socially marketable among the "cool kids club" (aka gamers who outwardly boast complete disinterest in Switch games)?

The majority of media and discourse is dominated by a certain type of gamer- the kind that only plays Sony/MS exclusives, highly marketed AAA games, and a couple big Switch games throughout the generation (typically Zelda, Mario and/or Smash). And, that's fine- peoples' interests are what they are. But it does create an environment where Nintendo fans are often isolated from the rest of the community. The fact so many journalists, media figures and influencers specifically pander to that type of gamer, or themselves are that type of gamer, only perpetuates the issue, since the articles they write and videos they make often spearhead discussions.

Hence why I think so many Nintendo gamers come to fan sites, where they can actually engage in discussion with other like minded people who share similar interests and play many of the same games. It's hard to find that within the broader gaming community. Go to IGN, or r/gaming, or a platform agnostic YT channel, and you'll rarely if ever see Switch exclusive games mentioned or even acknowledged as existing.

Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak looks so dang good btw. Oh my gosh I'm hyped! Need that Master Rank difficulty with new maps and monsters. I'm so glad Astalos made it in. Here's to hoping Seregios makes the cut. Fast, wirebug-driven gameplay needs equally fast, agile monsters that can punish you. Seregios fits the bill perfectly.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

kkslider5552000

The sad thing its actually way better than it used to be. Trying to go on non-Nintendo specific sites in the middle of the Wii era was at times, absolutely miserable. And watching so many quality games be entirely ignored and sell like trash was so sad.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Buizel

@JaxonH @kkslider5552000 Nintendo is always put to different standards. I dunno whether it's cause they're seen as old-fashioned, overly Japanese, too childish or their typical focus on lower power hardware and greater success in the handheld market...but probably a combination of the above. And I guess it can kinda work both ways for them.

The funny thing about the Wii era is that Nintendo had conquered the lion's share of the hardwaremarket for much of this era, with the two best-selling systems at the time. But you wouldn't know it in a lot of spaces.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Ralizah

@JaxonH I'm sure many people think of Rise as the 'lesser' portable version of Monster Hunter made to sate the Nintendo audience while Capcom's "A-team" works on the 'real' next Monster Hunter game. And you hear a lot of that "A-team"/"B-team" stuff when you attempt to talk to people about the series online. And whether it's regarding Capcom, Atlus, Square-Enix, etc., that same dismissive attitude generally extends to everything they release exclusively or primarily on Nintendo consoles. Because Nintendo consoles, in their minds, are supposed to be non-threatening first-party ghettos that can safely be ignored outside of a handful of Mario and Zelda releases every generation. That trend has reversed itself somewhat with the Switch, which is why I think many people seem genuinely offended when you want to play multiplatform games on Nintendo's console. You're supposed to play those games on a 'real' console.

Edited on by Ralizah

Grumblevolcano

@Buizel @Dogorilla @Ralizah The rest of the 2022 schedule may not have been precise enough in June 2021 such that BotW 2 may have had a tentative spot far enough away from Pokemon that was still in 2022 (e.g. maybe BotW 2 had the September slot instead of Xenoblade 3). Delays are usually announced alongside new game info and the next info drop is likely E3 so what I see happening is big new trailer followed by precise release date of March 3rd 2023 (the 6th anniversary of the Switch and BotW is on a Friday).

@IceClimbers Possibly, Jedi Fallen Order had a similar situation in 2019.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Paperboy

Tempest 4000 is out now on Switch. Is a review from NL in the works?

Paperboy

Magician

@Paperboy

Tempest really hasn't changed much since 1981, aside from more explosions and more clutter.

The series is awesome, and you should play it, without hesitation.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Paperboy

Magician wrote:

@Paperboy

Tempest really hasn't changed much since 1981, aside from more explosions and more clutter.

The series is awesome, and you should play it, without hesitation.

Sure, I'm just curious about the port and how it performs on Switch.

Paperboy

Solaine

@JaxonH Absolutely agree on the amount of games published being crazy this year, but Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak is not exclusive right? not even timed or did i get that wrong

Edited on by Solaine

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

Magician

@Solaine

MHR is console exclusive to Switch, but it also released on PC late last year.

Edit: My bad, the Steam version launched January 12th. I thought it was November or something.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic