Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 60,921 to 60,940 of 69,989

JaxonH

@IceClimbers
I wouldn't be upset. I loved ARMS. What a breath of fresh air that game was. So incredibly unique. There's no other game out there, on any system, that provides the kind of experience ARMS provides.

Of course, I do love Mario Kart more. But I honestly haven't been hankering for a new entry, and have actually felt rather perplexed at the laser focused obsession some seem to have over a new entry. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is just so good, so complete... I haven't felt the need. I'll be all over a new entry whenever it comes, just like I'm all over this DLC, but, I kinda feel like, it comes when it comes. Whenever that happens to be will be the right time.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

Hard to imagine a game designed as a joycon tech showcase that largely failed to take off would get a sequel.

With that said, unless they go full Nintendo Kart with MK9, it's hard to imagine where they'll even take the series now.

I do want a new game, though. Getting new content via DLC is great, but I want an ambitious new entry with meatier single-player content.

@AndyD @NintendoByNature This is one of many reasons I use Deku Deals for browsing sales.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

With that said, unless they go full Nintendo Kart with MK9, it's hard to imagine where they'll even take the series now.

I mean having a remotely interesting single player mode would be new.

Like they tried something with DS once and then nothing else so...that'd certainly be new.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Dogorilla

Honestly I'd rather have Arms 2 than Mario Kart 9 at the moment. Mario Kart is the better series as things stand but Arms has the potential to be just as good. And we already know MK9 won't come out for another two years at the very least because of the 8 Deluxe DLC, so I don't see why they couldn't make an Arms sequel in the meantime.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Anti-Matter

@Dogorilla
In my mind, I have some great suggestions for ARMS 2.
Looking at Ring Fit Adventures success, I think ARMS 2 will be better if have these features:
ARMS Fight mode (Normal ARMS fight style with extended arms and weapons)

Cardio Boxing mode (Cardio workout mode like Fitness Boxing with catchy musics + Wii Fit style workout routines)

Boxing mode (Normal boxing fight without extended arms and weapons)

Character Creation (Create your ARMS fighter from scratch, from head to toe like The Sims style)

Party mode (Mini games that have something with boxing or using Joy Cons)

Story Mode (Play through the individual ARMS fighter storyline to unlock new characters)

Amiibo support (New Nintendo characters outfits for ARMS fighter by scanning the specific Amiibo)

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Dogorilla

@Anti-Matter Those are good ideas. I'd certainly like to see a story mode with more backstory for the characters.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Grumblevolcano

There's only 3 Smash Ultimate Nintendo newcomers that haven't yet received an upcoming game after their release in Smash so far.

• Inkling -> Splatoon 3
  • Ridley -> Metroid Prime 4
  • Daisy -> Various Mario spinoffs
  • Chrom -> ?
  • Dark Samus -> Metroid Prime 4
  • King K Rool -> ?
  • Isabelle -> Animal Crossing New Horizons
  • Incineroar -> Pokemon Sword/Shield
  • Piranha Plant -> Various Mario games
  • Byleth -> Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes
  • Min Min -> ?
  • Pyra/Mythra -> Xenoblade Chronicles 3

So honestly ARMS 2 seems somewhat likely to happen in the future.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@Grumblevolcano If the next system has split controllers like the joy-cons (which seems likely), I'd wager they'll hold off and release ARMS 2 as a launch window title on that. I'm still of the opinion they're planning on holding back just enough titles to absolutely load the next system's launch window like they did with the Switch.

Though looking at the others? Chrom himself might not have been in a game since, but Fire Emblem in general has been continuing apace. As a series that rarely reuses characters, I'd say that Three Houses counts. Also, TMS#FE got a port, and he was in that.

And as for K. Rool? I know he was considered for inclusion in both of the DKC Returns games, so if there is another DK game in the works as rumored I think we'll finally see his return. As much as I love the Returns games, their main villains are... not as memorable as K. Rool. I wonder if anyone here can actually even name them without looking them up.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

JaxonH

These Mario Kart DLC courses are excellent!

Ninja Hideout is a brand new course. I was under the impression they'd all be Remastered from other entries. And while most are, this track is completely new, and easily the best of the bunch imo.

That's not to say the others aren't great too, though. It's so awesome experiencing GBA tracks remastered into 3D graphics, and Choco Mountain which was a classic from N64 days. The Tour tracks are particularly interesting as they feature real world locations and the laps change similar to Sonic All Stars Racing. It adds variety that really spices things up.

I'd forgotten just how much fun Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is. It's such a popular series it almost feels played out to say it's one of your favorite games, but it really is one of my favorite games. It's so good!

But I'm specifically referring to the Switch version, which is almost a completely different game than the Wii U version at this point. The new battle mode alone was enough to elevate it to 10/10 status (that really hurt the original release) but seeing the total number of base game + expansion courses (48) get doubled (96) with this new Booster Pack? Ya, they're not even the same game anymore. The Wii U version is like the alpha version of the real game now.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

@JaxonH Ninja Hideaway is from Tour though? I still really need to try out the expansion pass myself, but glad to hear it's so good so far.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
Is it?

Then the articles reporting on it being brand new must be wrong. It's also not labeled as being from any other entry in-game, and the other Tour tracks are distinctly based on real world locations (Paris Promenade, Tokyo Blur) and feature routes that change for different laps.

But I've never played Tour so, I wouldn't know.

Gamerant Article Incorrectly Claiming Ninja Hideaway Is Brand New
https://gamerant.com/mario-kart-8-deluxe-new-tracks-unique-fe...

It's so hard to get accurate information when media can't be trusted to verify information before publishing

Edited on by JaxonH

RR529

@JaxonH, it is indeed from Tour.

Untitled

Source: my phone's screenshot file.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

Have the expansion pack now and played some of the N64 games. I... don't really understand the complaints. I tried a few of the games that I've played before, and they feel fine, aside from some awkward button mappings.

@kkslider5552000 Mario Kart, but with the sort of sp content found in CTR is what I want most from the series.

With that said, considering Link and a few other characters are already in "Mario" Kart now, I feel like turning it into a Smash-esque celebration of Nintendo is overdue.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@RR529
Lol I didn't need screenshot proof 🙃 Photo evidence is for convincing someone who stubbornly refuses to acknowledge something.

I already acknowledged it was in Tour in my previous statement, where I called out the incorrect article making the claim.

Anyways, since you play Tour on your phone, can you comment on the graphical comparison to the Switch version? I saw a GameXplain video comparing the two and Switch looked waaaay better- the Tour footage looked 480p and stuttering around 20 fps. I suspect they were running the game on a decade old phone.

Would be nice to see a real comparison from a modern phone in HD, or impressions from someone who's played both (granted, the smaller phone screen will likely make it look much better than it would if the screens were the same size)

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

@Ralizah
They patched some games up so the experience now is much better than it was at launch, at least for certain games like Zelda Ocarina of Time.

That said, I always felt the games were fine- certainly a step up from the Wii U with its darker image. Every game I've played has looked and played great, with the exception of F-Zero X, which unfortunately suffers frame rate drops occasionally. It's still playable but, when it happens from time to time, it's very noticeable. I'm hoping they'll fix it though like they did with Zelda.

As for the next Mario Kart, Deluxe is peak Mario Kart in its current form. The anti gravity, large roster and 96 total tracks has taken it as far as it can go without a major change up, imo.

Maybe they will count Tour as the 9th game and use the Roman numeral for 10 on the next entry, as it would have double meaning for "Cross", since a Smash Bros style mish mash is the next logical step.

By crossing over with other series it would allow for a much more interesting roster, a massive well to draw from for track design, and new mechanics could include dynamic tracks similar to Sonic Racing Transformed. They flirted with the idea in some Tour tracks but the next entry could go all out with the idea.

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 The Tokyo Mirage Sessions port fits more with the angle I was taking as Chrom is in that game. That said I am making an assumption that Ridley and Dark Samus will be in Metroid Prime 4 which may not be the case so either works I guess.

@Ralizah It's a gradual improvement situation, what you see now is improved from how things were in October.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@JaxonH I definitely agree. With the DLC playing both with non-mario characters (original DLC) and changing tracks (current DLC) there's no way these things aren't experiments for the next game. Whether they move forward with them or not, they at least have to be under consideration.

But seriously, tracks inspired by Zora's Domain, Sky Sanctuary, Forest of Hope, or Lunar Sanctum could be gorgeous and totally different from anything Mario Kart has done before.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
We've gotten a taste of it with the Hyrule Castle, Animal Crossing, Excite Bike and 2 different F-Zero courses.

But a full blown crossover with 30-40 tracks from dozens of different franchises could be really interesting.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic